WW2 20cwt Water trailer/bowser restoration

Ian L

Started repairing the 2 wheel archs today, there are 4 repairs to do which are about 8" x 4" which tock about 2 hours to complete the first one. the size is deceptive in the photos but these are huge unwieldly archs for 11.00 tyres.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The restoration moved on 'leaps & bounds' today when a package arrived containing all the underneath pipe work including taps / valves / mounting blocks & the change over valve ontop of the bowser, kindly sent by another Forum member.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Edited by Ian L
spelling mistake

• 3 weeks later...

Look at the guy standing in the back of the truck. His respirator haversack has a circular object in its right pocket, that will be Anti Gas Ointment No.2. Its a glass jar with a metal lid, we used them early on (later replaced by a tin).

Soldiers are wearing the skeleton 37 pattern water bottle carriers rather than the mid war sleeve type and have gas capes rolled.

Don't know when all of these were superseded but I think 1940 is a fair bet.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

The trailer pictured in post #59 would have to be quite early. If I have this right (not great on WW11 era stuff) The WD registration number is X194615 which is very low at just 6 numbers. It is an American registration system from started in 1929. X I recall means it is not attached to any unit within a division, 1 means it is a trailer or handcart. 94615 is the 5 figure serial number for this equipment. Low number means early because by 1943'ish most serials were 6 digits long.

The trailer pictured in post #59 would have to be quite early. If I have this right (not great on WW11 era stuff) The WD registration number is X194615 which is very low at just 6 numbers. It is an American registration system from started in 1929. X I recall means it is not attached to any unit within a division, 1 means it is a trailer or handcart. 94615 is the 5 figure serial number for this equipment. Low number means early because by 1943'ish most serials were 6 digits long.

This is a British census number, X means trailer. The numbers ran from early Thirties through to late Forties as a block system, this contract, might have been followed by Bedford lorries as an example and would have following numbers, not armour though, they had a separate system.. They are not broken down in to codes as you describe. As a rough estimation the number in question is c.1940.

• 2 months later...

MORE FINDS :thumbsup: Went to pickup some Bedford QL parts from a well known military vehicle collector in Southern England today and came away with another Pump & valves etc for the Bowser but best of all is a top cover for a Meta or Stellar Filter.

Amazing what turns up when you have a good rummage arround, the plan is to have another top cast and make the bottom sections which should be easy :undecided:

001.JPG

005.JPG

011.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Edited by Ian L