WW2 20cwt Water trailer/bowser restoration

Ian L

Has a good result on ebay last week with some origional WW2 heavy duty ammo box hinges, although I cant be sure if correct they are the right period & look right.

Fitted the lid / centre shelf & gave the box a good rub over with a band sander making sure its not to perfect, all I need now are some catchs for the lid & fill a couple of the dove tails.

I also need to get some square nuts & #12 c/s screws for the hinges before anybody picks me up on the hex nuts.

004.JPG

012.JPG

009.JPG

013.JPG

005.JPG

Rear hitch is almost finished, all I need to do now is weld it.

All we had to go on was the 2 holes in the rear chassis which gave us the bolt spacings & 1 old photo which we 'blewup' to get the size & some detail.

I heated up the bottom section of the 'D' shackle to straighten it out & left the top section with the curve, We think it looks about right & once its painted who's going to know ? ;)

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

180 gallon bowser rear view cropped.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Ian - where did you get the Land Rover turnbuckle locks with the circular base from? . I need one for the box on a 10cwt GS trailer but can only seem to find them with the circular base cut away in part with a straight edge.

Thanks

Simon King

Hi Simon http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/652/334525-TURN-BUCKLE.html?search=locker&page=2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2nd Bowser is off to the czech republic.:cry:[/font] QUOTE]

Thank you Ian for such a great donation. The remains of your second trailer have arrived safely to its new home today. Time to start looking for spares and remanufacturing things. Will start with the chassis at first. I hope to see you at Beltring this year. Hopefully would be able to take pictures and measurements off your browser and take some Czech lager with me:)

The plan is to put the trailer back on the road for next season even though there will be some parts missing, will make so much needed water supply for our military camp at events and a great display item. Its the right type the Czechoslovak units in the UK used during WWII.

2nd Bowser is off to the czech republic.:cry:[/font] QUOTE]

Thank you Ian for such a great donation. The remains of your second trailer have arrived safely to its new home today. Time to start looking for spares and remanufacturing things. Will start with the chassis at first. I hope to see you at Beltring this year. Hopefully would be able to take pictures and measurements off your browser and take some Czech lager with me:)

The plan is to put the trailer back on the road for next season even though there will be some parts missing, will make so much needed water supply for our military camp at events and a great display item. Its the right type the Czechoslovak units in the UK used during WWII.

Hi Dusan glad you can make use of it, I will bring the remaining parts such as the 'A' Frame to W&P.

• 2 months later...

Looking good Ian, these are the pictures I will need to remanufacture the hitch on mine. Lets hope the weather gets better and you will make it to W&P with the bowser. Fingers crossed.

• 2 months later...

So a few more parts to complete the restoration, I always thought a Meta or Stellar filter would turn up & I now have 2 complete pumps plus 2 spare bodies and 2 good condition hose trays but the best part is the brass instruction plate which measures about 8" x 10"

025.JPG

026.JPG

028.JPG

029.JPG

031.JPG

032.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Nice items found, Ian. Please keep posting, you are the only source for the restoration of my bowser.

If you find the manual I would be interested in a scan copy please ;)

Hi Duson I have 2 bowsers to sell minus the filters & pumps, both have good working tow hitches, 1 support leg. 2 pump brackets, 1 filter rack/frame & a front box frame. both the chassis are in good condition. interested ? ;)

002.JPG

012.JPG

If only they have come earlier Ian, the cost of transport to CZ is more than the price of the bowser so after paying for two trips I need to think a lot about another adventure. If you had spares to sell I would surely be interested, but I understand that you want to sell as complete as possible. Or is there a chance you split one for spares?

• 2 months later...