The HMVF festive trivia quiz - are you tough enough...?

Jack

Ok I'll go with 7,000,000 for part A, and 21,000,000 for part B.

can I phone a friend ?

A was bigger than B. But it was a lot more than suggested so far.

BTW this cartoning was done not only at Central Ordnance Depots but outstations in the neighbourhood. These workers were housewives, elderly men, older children & other non-mobile civilians located in schools, village halls, fire stations, barns, etc.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clive,

You just mentioned "rations", is that what these boxes are for?

I got my figures from an official history of Chilwell Ordnance Depot, to quote, "during preperations for the Second Front, the packing of the MT sores to be utilised in the different phases was divided, according to their facilities, among the COD's of Chilwell, Derby, Feltham and Bicester, but all were to be centralised at Chilwell for the calling forward time, and here a fair idea of the trememndous task tackled may be judged when it is revealed that the invasion of Normandy called for 35,000,000 cartons of stores using up to 2,000,000 cases."

Richard

Clive,

No idea Richard, I suppose quite a lot of them were. My source is The Army Quarterly Vol. L No.1 April 1945 it refers to "articles cartoned" and gives a larger figure than your sorurce which refers to MT sores (stores?) :naughty:

Richard,

Is there a book or website on the history Chilwell Depot? It is right near to where I live (I drive past it all the time) so would be interested to read a bit more about it. Sadly there is not much of it left anymore, but we do get convoys of HETs with Challenger 2s driving past every now and then. ;-)

Chris

Clive,

I got my figures from an official history of Chilwell Ordnance Depot, to quote, "during preperations for the Second Front, the packing of the MT sores to be utilised in the different phases was divided, according to their facilities, among the COD's of Chilwell, Derby, Feltham and Bicester, but all were to be centralised at Chilwell for the calling forward time, and here a fair idea of the trememndous task tackled may be judged when it is revealed that the invasion of Normandy called for 35,000,000 cartons of stores using up to 2,000,000 cases."

Richard

Richard,

Is there a book or website on the history Chilwell Depot? It is right near to where I live (I drive past it all the time) so would be interested to read a bit more about it. Sadly there is not much of it left anymore, but we do get convoys of HETs with Challenger 2s driving past every now and then. ;-)

Chris

The Chilwell story: VC factory and ordnance depot

by M. J Haslam (Author)

Unknown Binding: 252 pages

Publisher: RAOC Corps Gazette (1982)

ISBN-10: 0950809209

ISBN-13: 978-0950809205

Copies here but pricey http://fr.bookbutler.com/do/bookCompare?searchFor=0950809209&amountIn=gbp&shipTo=gb&searchIn=uk&zip=

Listen chaps - I am the Quiz Master here and I set the questions :adminpwr: I am thinking that the cardboard box debate is a slight of hand to divert attention away from my rather hard questions :whistle:

The HMVF festive trivia quiz - are you tough enough...should be changed to YOU AREN'T TOUGH ENOUGH.

OK Have studied the questions :rtfm: and after much deliberation have decided I can't answer any of them :oops:

So have turned attention to

But boxes are terribly important especially at this time of year, here is the prescribed MOD way to wrap up a present for your loved ones (or wives).

Defence Standard 81-41 (Part 5)/Issue 2

and now am in another quandary - after wrapping, cutting and folding in the prescribed manner I find no guidance whatsoever as to the exact nature of the 'fasteng material' i should use.................. :dunno:

Woe is me, it seems I shall remain undone :blush:

I find no guidance whatsoever as to the exact nature of the 'fasteng material' i should use.................. :dunno:

"Tape, kraft paper, gummed to Defence Standard DEF 1299 or if specified, tape, pressure-sensitive (waterproof film), DEF STAN 81-47 or tape, reinforced, paper, gummed, TS 375 of 48mm minimum width."

Was there a seasonal ""Tape, kraft paper, gummed to Defence Standard DEF 1299- Christmas" ? Or did thet just press on with the same old boring stuff.

Same old boring stuff. But if you want to slow down the opening of Christmas presents this has a sobering effect:

width=640 height=459http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/Radactape.jpg[/img]

Listen chaps - I am the Quiz Master here and I set the questions :adminpwr: I am thinking that the cardboard box debate is a slight of hand to divert attention away from my rather hard questions :whistle:

The HMVF festive trivia quiz - are you tough enough...should be changed to YOU AREN'T TOUGH ENOUGH.

Oh heck, I hate to see a grown man cry and it is Christmas. :-D

Jack,

I will have a go at Question 11,......the Korean War has never officially been declared over.

Now back to the cardboard box quiz.............

Richard