Opa Bob passed away

Enigma

Yesterday I got the news Robert Parker Atkinson, 53rd Welch Div, East Lancashire Regiment has passed away Januari 11, aged 86

I met Bob and his wife Lily years ago during the celebrations of the liberation of 's-Hertogenbosch.

We "adopted" each other as family.

On Uden warcemeratery he gave me crosses a few times to place on his comerades graves.

I allready thought he might have passed away because I tried to phone him, Lily passed away a year or so ago.

We'll remeber both of them as great people. Oma Lily loved to get a phonecall from me and Bob told me stories he never told his wife; "you never told me that" she once said.

I'm glad to have met both of them and will remember them.

Rust in vrede Opa/Rest in peace Grandfather.

ParkerAtkinsonapril1945.jpg

In this photo Bob and me, I wear the East Lanc uniform in the East Lancs honour.

Olaf-bob.jpg

the passing of so many of them in the last few years is truly heartbreaking ....

.I know we all go eventually but...their endeavour makes our lives (or at least mine anyway) seem very trivial...RIP old fella....

...hey and all dues to you for representing a good old typical 'Tommy'!!

I got absolutely nothing against anyone representing who they want to but, it often seems a little strange that seemingly 99% of 'living history/re-enactors/etc' (whatever term is acceptable these days ) want to be an American soldier of some description...

R.I.P Bob , reminded me of when my granddad a lewis gunner in ww1 passed away . re american / german reinactors as spike milligan once said the british tommy looked like a bag of sh.. tied in the middle hence the so called cool looking german american reinactors ,broad brush i know.

Sorry to hear your sad news Olaf, I understand how close a relationship you had with your vet friends and the mutual respect. The remark from a wife 'you never told me that' is something I have heard more than once myself.If you do make contact with any family please pass on the condolences from all members of HMVF.