Recommissioning my M3 White Halftrack.

Big ray

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was obviously being rather optimistic thinking that we would start today. This is where it should have been by this afternoon, we are going to move it over to the workshop in the morning. I dont think that it will take too much work to get it out on the road. The exhaust system is, as one might expect, totally shot, the brakes need doing (complete system) The fuel tanks will have to come out and be cleaned after all this time standing (We had it running a few days ago, we have fitted a temporary one gallon fuel tank to by-pass the system and be able to move it about, in and out of the workshop.) I have got new tracks but I dont think that we need to fit them yet, plenty of track on the existing set......... but we will have to see how that they have stood-up to the passing of time. We have a 50 cal gas firing M/g on her, my son is keen to get it out so that he can fire it. I have told him to face it backwards when he fires it......... it will make the H/T go faster.........

Tow Bar 006.jpg

Its a good job that I am not getting paid for this work.......... its taken until today to move the Halftrack into the workshop, at last!!!!!!! We had to move the GMC first (Flat battery).......... but when it did fire-up she sounded as sweet as a nut.

GMC in Yard 008.jpg

Halftrack 005.jpg

Its a good job that I am not getting paid for this work.......... its taken until today to move the Halftrack into the workshop, at last!!!!!!! We had to move the GMC first (Flat battery).......... but when it did fire-up she sounded as sweet as a nut.[ATTACH=CONFIG]54554[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54554[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54555[/ATTACH]

Hi Ray, very, very nice. Don't forget me if you need a good home for them on free loan;)

It's all going on up here in sunny Stoke it seems.

I cleared some of the crap from around the International as well today.

All that I need now is a camera.

Commander

Hi Chris, you can borrow mine, the camera that is..... not the Halftrackl.

REME 56 58 025.jpg

The first job will be take the fuel tanks out and clean and inspect, if you look at the previous pic of the H/t you will see a white one gallon tank bolted to the top of the windscreen cover, its gravity fed to the carb.... the carb seems to be leaking a bit, so we will have to strip that, inspect and clean, dont want any mishaps with volatile fuel leaks. The blowing at the manifold is something of a worry with leaky fuel in such close proximity. Then its the exhaust system, including a "blowing" manifold, it`s not blowing at the manifold gasket, its the front "O" ring, the manifold is a three piece system. It will of course involve removing the complete manifold, so we will need to replace the main gasket. We will then give everything a good going over for any other works before we start on the brakes. The engine runs very sweet and pulls very well.

We it be ready for the show season Ray?

Oh yes, we have taken the fuel tank (1) out this afternoon, its not as bad as we expected but we are finding more work as we progress...... but then I suppose that thats normal...... pics to follow.

Why did you put the M3 into Hibernation in the first place?

I fell foul of the same problem that we all suffer from if we acquire too many toys, coupled of course with the age factor....I am 75 this time, it does tend to slow you down a little. Every time that you buy a new toy all of the effort goes into that to get it up and running, every winter I said that I would concentrate on the Halftrack, but somehow it was always spring before I knew it.............. if the halftrack had been a woman, she would have left me.

Another one of my toys that contributed to the lack of effort on the Halftrack.

Harley Davidson 004.jpg

Edited by Joris