Recommissioning my M3 White Halftrack.

Big ray

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve has overhauled the fuel/vacume pump, complete rebuild, and he`s rebuilding the carb, still quite a lot of work to do, but it will keep us busy over the winter months......... just light the fire, lock the workshop doors and enjoy ourselves.Halftrack Pumps 001.jpg

Halftrack Pumps 003.jpg

Halftrack Pumps 002.jpg

What I thought was going to be a relatively easy restoration project is turning out to be anything but that. I am having considerable difficulty obtaining quite a few of the replacement components that I need, infact I am having to refurbish some components, I will attempt to record and photograph whatever we manage to refurbish. I do like a challenge, this should test our skills......... we will start by refurbing the carb and manufacturing a new exhaust system (We cant get the re-furb kit for the carb)

• 2 weeks later...

Re-fitted the refurbished carb, tried to start the motor, battery down somewhat. decided to remove the spark plugs and the front two just disintegrated, leaving the threaded base still in the cylinder head. Fortunately we managed to extracate the bases with an extraction tool and a little shock treatment. Quite worrying at first, started to look like we might have to remove the head, a job that we can do without at the moment......... we have fitted a new set of spark plugs, we will try again later this week, not got much free time at the moment.

• 7 months later...
Looking good Ray..... very nice.. What next to get up and running?

A few more tasks to perform.............. then its the GMC in for extensive works, we are not going to try to repair the odd warped / split wooden boards on the cargo floor and side rails. We will replace the lot, that will give us a much more satisfactory result. Brakes are excellent, but after several years service I think that we will go through the whole system, replacing pipes, seals and anything else that needs to be done to bring her up to tip top condition. I have always believed that if I have engine / transmission trouble, then I have a problem. Anything brake related, then I have a potential disaster on my hands. A few more bits of cosmetic work along the way, and then its a full respray. I am sure that we will find some things along the way that we have not envisaged. We (Steve really) did the valves (replaced one, and lapped the remainder in) a while back, she has not done many miles since. Once that we had removed the head we could see that she had not had a rebore and was in excellent condition, so we dont anticipate any work there. Gearbox and transfere box are in good order, so we hope that it will just be a nice little winter project.

• 2 weeks later...