Recommissioning my M3 White Halftrack.

Big ray

We had to drain the fuel tank prior to removal, it was two thirds full (20 gall) you would not believe how RUSTY that the fuel sender is.......... I will try to remember to photograph it before we attempt to clean it up, it may be beyond saving, just another one of the unexpected finds, and why its impossible to put a completion time on the work........ I should point out at this point that our son and Steve are doing the work with yours truly just interfereing on a regular basis, well, someone has to put the kettle on!!!! ( The six year old petrol is good for cleaning the components)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you have some great vehicles there ray , its like a little museum your place . keep up the good work .;)

Thank you, I do like to see things come back to life, beats the hell out of photographs, we spent a lot of time restoring my Jeep, that also kept the Halftrack on the back burner......

Our son Tony

Jeep brake repairs 006.jpg

Edited by Joris

I cannot believe how this sender cleaned up like new, thank goodness for sandblasters.  Another 10 minutes working on it with plenty of oil and it began to move very freely.  When we took it out it was siezed and thick with rust....... forgot my camera, so could only photograph after the cleaning.

Halftrack 017.jpg

Edited by Joris

This was last winters project, another delaying factor. Its a Royal Enfield WD.CO. 350cc ohv.

Normally a motorcycle would be a relatively easy project but this one gave us an awful lot of problems...... all sorted now and it runs beautifully. I took it to the Island of Guernsey last spring for the celebrations and to Arnhem,Holland in the autumn..... the photograph was taken at the Cosby Show last August.

Cosby 2013.jpg

We have removed the lift pump and found that the diaphram has split / perished. Its a good job that we have the temporary tank on (Gravity feed)............ still finding plenty of things to rectify, we can start making a list soon.

Tony cleaning up one of the underfloor storage bins...... slight water ingress leading to some superficial rusting.

Halftrack 028.jpg

Edited by Joris

Well Santa has brought me a camera for Christmas so I can do some pictures of my wreck

C

I dont know how to break this to you Chris....... but there is no Santa....... we would like some photographs please!! NO cheating, dont you photograph Johns...... and tell us that you have completed the work over Christmas.

Seasons greetings to you and the family.

Are your tanks original? I'm curious to see the markings on the tank up close. Is it still out where you can take close up pictures of them?

-Tom

Hi Tom, we have refitted that fuel tank, but we are going to remove the second one so will take close-up photographs of that one.

Regards.

Ray.

We have removed the lift pump and found that the diaphram has split / perished. Its a good job that we have the temporary tank on (Gravity feed)............ still finding plenty of things to rectify, we can start making a list soon.[ATTACH=CONFIG]54810[/ATTACH] Tony cleaning up one of the underfloor storage bins...... slight water ingress leading to some superficial rusting.

I should perhaps point out that that brown looking rust in the bin is a RAG, not rust...... the rust was confined to a couple of corners, just thought that I should make it clear.

Hi,

Looks in very good condition already!

I have an M3A1 White.

I need tracks and a few other parts to finish know anyone who could help?

regards Nick

Try Liberty Engineering Services, I think that they are based in West Sussex.

E.mail david@libertyengineeringservices.com

Tel. 07798 638313

01273 383137 (Eight till late)

Regards and good luck with the H/t

Ray.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi,

Looks in very good condition already!

I have an M3A1 White.

I need tracks and a few other parts to finish know anyone who could help?

regards Nick

There is a set of tracks on MILWEB, reasonably priced if they are good.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...