the BIG field trip jan 14th 2007

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all yesterday, not that you would of realised, was a very proud day for me. Why? Well because all of there, where there because of HMVF, never thought friendships were going to be made this way and it was pretty enjoyable being with 17 other like minded strangers all because of here so thanks to all.

Just to echo what has been said already, it was more than enjoyable and thanks to Jerry for driving the 7 hour round trip, and sorry that we were 10 minutes late but I read the map wrong! That said, if Jerry is going to buy an out to date map from Crusty Chris from Wimborne market then what does he expect!

It was more the worth getting up at 04:45 on Sunday morning to travel to Dover ( us Dorset men do not B***er about, but now the gauntlet has been thrown down!). Many thanks also go to Mark for the taxi service and yes I am going to say it out load before Rob or Ian do, YES, REO'S ARE A GREAT TRUCK, there said it now! But a very smooth road and sounds beautiful. And of course thanks to Andy and Paul for giving up their Sunday to show a load of old bolding blokes around wholes in Dover cliffs.

I have found that I now like Post War guys......seriously, they are human :whistle:

And B Company went the distance as where A Company....legged it back to the truck for a 'rest'. Thanks to Neil for standing on my head down one of the tunnels thanks to Ian for the tea, Lee for the hotdog and Chris for the beer! Mrs Hardy Ferret for my very own safety and survival kit.........swine's!

A unique experience and an amazing part of history and it is hard to believe that this area played such a important part in our country's defense and what views did people see from the Observation Post during D-Day.........one can only sit and wonder.

Until next time...................

Meet up

IMAG0002.jpg

Unfinished deep shelter

IMAG0008.jpg

Looking down and 20 feet ladder......down to the mapping room

IMAG0022.jpg.

Amazing condition of the ventilation system

IMAG0025.jpg

Lunch time

IMAG0020.jpg

Obversation Post - we could see France from here.

IMAG0029.jpg

Sir Paul.....doing what he does.

IMAG0033.jpg

R and R - the local didn't know what hit them.

IMAG0035.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
photo links repaired

Indeed - all I can do is echo the sentiments thus far - it was a great day out, I thoroughly enjoyed myself - although it may not have looked it at times as I've got a bad dose of claustrophobia!! I know - I want my head tested for doing such things...

Nonetheles I did enjoy it - both climbing into small holes and being dragged out again afterwards by Lee and Ian :-) and meeting all the people from the forum who were just names to me. And how many of us have had the privilege of using our illustrious leader Jacks head as a step in getting out of one such hole!!!

When my one set of Ni-mh bateries are recharged I'll get the photo's of my camera :-)

Till then I'll add my voice to the chorus of big "Thank You's" to Paul & Andy for oganizing the trip, Mark for the use of the very nice Reo and Jack for the whole forum to start with. Great times with great people!! :-) :-)

(p.s. - off work today as my upper back/shoulders seem to have locked solid for some reason!!)

Hello Gents...

A big thank you for the huge turn out... was nice to see familiar faces and the nubies as well...

Makes a Bigger War and Peace show for me now i know far more of you!

Was a very amusing day! lots of laughs! was very enjoyable!

I did not take many pictures in the sites, as i have seen them many times and the pictures i have on our site...

www.longforgotten.co.uk

But i have some of the motley crew in action and in transit.

Well done A section... we did it all with speed and ease!

well here are a few pics!

Thanks for Jack and the forum! and indeed Mark and the REO!

The Fab REO! sounds the nuts i have to say!

Ride home group shot

Picture098.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
photo links repaired