dvla - joy!

ghasp!

Today I took the brave step of trying to register my new GMC at the 'local' DVLA office in Wimbledon :shocking: I had all the information, the truck's date of birth, the release form from the French army, which clearly stated it was taken on service n 1956, renovated in '68 and sold on in '76. I had the sale documents from the ex-owner in France, I had the insurance, a photo and even the completed registration form (what is a CoC document by the way?). Was this enough? No, not a bit of it. :banghead:

Apparently, the release form wasn't any use, neither was the sale document, as neither of them are listed on their system as viable supporting documents for a registration. It seems that they get "all sorts of vehicles coming through here pretending to be from the second world war, and most of them aren't." :rofl:

"I politely pointed to the photo (which they took) and told them that "they hadn't made those sort of trucks since 1945, so I could hardly be pulling the wool over their eyes. "We'll get back to you in 4-6 weeks, you'll probably get a 'Q' plate," was the best I could get.

A :argh: 'Q' plate?! :eek:

So it seems that because the staff at the DVLA don't actually know anything about historic vehicles and couldn't pick a 353 out of lineup of transits, and because their system doesn't recognise French documents as being genuine my new pride and joy is going to be registered as a kit car. :-o

Please tell me this isn't going to happen!

Yes, contact the Vehicle Verification Officer. He will be able to provide a document which the DVLA will accept as evidence.

For those registering modern vehicles it is much easier, you just need the Cast Vehicle Form (blue piece of paper from the MoD) which you get when you buy a vehicle.

Chris

Don't worry it won't happen. I had the same problem with the dodge, as a Norwegion registration document (clearly showing that the truck was built in 1944 was insufficient proof of age (FFS!) I sent off to Chrysler and got the build card for it (so it too has a birthday!). If i can dredge any more information from the bottom of my brain at this hour in the morning i'll let y'know. MVT areas usuallly have a verification officer who'll come and cast an eye over it and write a letter, but the build card did the trick for me...

no Q plate nor nowt :-D

sorry to be bureaucratic but the registration process quite clearly states what the DVLA will accept as proof of age documents and you are asking for trouble using foreign documents. In the event that you cannot provide these it also gives a list of approved clubs who can certify age in the absence of documents.

I too have registered my vehicles via the Wimbledon office and had to provide age attestation letters from (in my case) the MVT inspection officer (IMPS are also approved for this purpose).

Once you give Wimbledon such a letter it is all very straightforward. :roll: (they require me to bring mine in for a physical inspection but we eventually agreed they came to me to do it saving my £££ in petrol)

(Yes both MVT and IMPS charge for the service but it does cost them to do it and you will get free road tax)

Wimbledon accepted my application for registering the Ward laFrance based on an IMPS verification letter and the Carte Grise (French log book). They never even asked to see a photo, much less a physical inspection.

Also, make sure you ask for the original documents to be returned - they are legally obliged to give them back if you ask. I dealt with George Bishop at Wimbledon VRO and found him very helpful.

Don't settle for a Q plate. There is no need for one as they will accept the IMPS or MVT verification letter as proof of age.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on my vehicle registration.

I had my second trip to Wimbledon DVLA yesterday, having received my vehicle verification document from the MVT. I must say they did a magnificent job, really quick and for free too. The letter that came back gave me a full set of instructions on what I needed to do, for which I had reason to thank them again in the DVLA office! :bow:

I turned up, told them I wanted to register a classic military vehicle, that I had the verification document that they'd requested, and that I wanted to register it as exempt from the MOT on form V112G.

"No problem," said the guy, "I know exactly the form you need." :banana:

Unfortunately when the V112 form arrived, it had a long list of reasons for exemption to pick from, such as being an invalid carriage or being confined to company premises, none of which looked relevant. Nowhere was there anything that mentioned age of the vehicle as being a valid reason for exception.

"Er, you don't know which one I should put do you?" I ventured sheepishly. :blush:

A quick chat to his supervisor and he's back. "We can't tell you, you have to decide."

:adminpwr:

With another trip back to Wimbledon looming I start clutching at straws. "Can we just do the registration and I'll let you know about the MOT status?" :whistle:

"No"

"But I've definitely been told to register it as MOT exempt, by VOSA, the DVLA and MVT." :|

"All different departments," I'm told, "they all have different rules. We had a 1945 Willy's jeep in here yesterday and that wasn't MOT exempt."

Head literally in my hands at this point I mutter, "this is really frustrating you know."

"You should try working here!" he replies. Then everything is passed back to me and I begin to shuffle it all back into various envelopes. It's at that point I notice that the form I've been given is a V112, when I'd asked for a V112G.

This was my last throw of the dice. "Does form V112G differ from V112?" I asked. :dunno:

He picks up the form, looks at it, then goes off and asks the supervisor. The comes back with the V112G (which incidentally just has a space to sign to say that it's MOT exempt). "I've worked here for five years, he says and I've never heard of that one."

:eek2:

Congrats :-D

Just for info do remember that whilst the V112G simply requires a signature on its face what you are signing to say is that you are bound by the legal declaration you are making which is that your vehicle is pre 1960 AND at the same time is a goods vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of over 3.5 tonnes.

That is why jeeps are not MOT exempt because they do not meet both these conditions. There is no such thing as age exempt MOt without taking into account the gross vehicle weight

I have been working my way through a pile of V112G/R & if challenged say it is under regulation 30 I am claiming exemption. It always seemed curious that the basis of the exemption was not required on the declaration. The form was revised last year to what seems to be the same wording & is available as a download:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/v112g.pdf

It seems that a permanent exemption cannot be recognised as the use may change. In regulation 30 it is used unladen and any trailer is unladen. Some might say is there any point taking a trailer to a show that is unladen? Although I think trailers a poorly recognised bit of MV history & would prefer to take a picture of an empty one!

John is correct the V112G is for vehicles over 3.5tons, if you make a false declaration & exempt your vehicle from a MOT when it is not entitled to be that you will be driving without valid insurance.. all Insurance states that the vehicle must have a current MOT unless it is MOT exempt, I've never heard of a MOT exempt Jeep, I'm suprised VOSA, DVLA & the MVT told you otherwise :dunno:

I have been working my way through a pile of V112G/R & if challenged say it is under regulation 30 I am claiming exemption. It always seemed curious that the basis of the exemption was not required on the declaration. The form was revised last year to what seems to be the same wording & is available as a download:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/v112g.pdf

It seems that a permanent exemption cannot be recognised as the use may change. In regulation 30 it is used unladen and any trailer is unladen. Some might say is there any point taking a trailer to a show that is unladen? Although I think trailers a poorly recognised bit of MV history & would prefer to take a picture of an empty one!

I claim exemption for my Fox & No.4 best fits it's description, well being designed to blow things up is an engineering operation.. remember when registering your vehicle never let them class it as Agricultural if you intend taking it on the motorway... Agricultural vehicles are banned from motorways..

4. Engineering plant and plant not being engineering plant, which is

movable plant or equipment being a motor vehicle or trailer (not

constructed to carry a load) especially designed and constructed for the

special purposes of engineering operations.

John is correct the V112G is for vehicles over 3.5tons, if you make a false declaration & exempt your vehicle from a MOT when it is not entitled to be that you will be driving without valid insurance.. all Insurance states that the vehicle must have a current MOT unless it is MOT exempt, I've never heard of a MOT exempt Jeep, I'm suprised VOSA, DVLA & the MVT told you otherwise :dunno:

They didn't say a jeep was MOT exempt, I was talking to them about my CCKW. It was the guy in the DVLA who brought the jeep up, by way of explaination that old didn't mean exempt.

They didn't say a jeep was MOT exempt, I was talking to them about my CCKW. It was the guy in the DVLA who brought the jeep up, by way of explaination that old didn't mean exempt.

Ah sorry :oops: just read your original post, when you mentioned Jeep I just presumed that's what you were registering...

I claim exemption for my Fox & No.4 best fits it's description, well being designed to blow things up is an engineering operation.. remember when registering your vehicle never let them class it as Agricultural if you intend taking it on the motorway... Agricultural vehicles are banned from motorways..

Thanks Lee

I was going to ask how you did your Fox for when mine arrives. However i think it is only a matter of time before someone becomes the test case to prove whether we are all valid in our various self determined categories since the forms were never intended to cover MV

Apologies if you have covered this in previous posts but when the insurance claim went through on your infamous incident with the lady driver was your category of exemption claimed ever questioned by KCM?

Thanks Lee

I was going to ask how you did your Fox for when mine arrives. However i think it is only a matter of time before someone becomes the test case to prove whether we are all valid in our various self determined categories since the forms were never intended to cover MV

Apologies if you have covered this in previous posts but when the insurance claim went through on your infamous incident with the lady driver was your category of exemption claimed ever questioned by KCM?

When I take the V112G to the post office to get the tax I fill in two copies, the post office keeps one & I get them to stamp the other which I keep, this I use as proof of my exemption.. I gave them a copy of this.. also a second copy could be handy if you get pulled by the Police as if they did a check on your vehicle it would come back as having no MOT, exemption is not recorded on their system..

If the post office refuse to stamp the second copy just tell them they have to.. they don't know any different..

When I take the V112G to the post office to get the tax I fill in two copies, the post office keeps one & I get them to stamp the other which I keep, this I use as proof of my exemption.. I gave them a copy of this.. also a second copy could be handy if you get pulled by the Police as if they did a check on your vehicle it would come back as having no MOT, exemption is not recorded on their system..

If the post office refuse to stamp the second copy just tell them they have to.. they don't know any different..

That is an excellent idea. It always seems so vague & unrecorded. But having it stamped is a good thing. But they never keep it, its just handed back to me.

That is an excellent idea. It always seems so vague & unrecorded. But having it stamped is a good thing. But they never keep it, its just handed back to me.

They are supposed to keep it but some don't, as long as you have a stamped copy at least you have something..