Tales from a Big Shed

paulbrook

Right then - here we go.

Gracing the workshop for the next few months are not one but three MVs all needing various bits and bobs so I though to myself "why not share the joy?"

One has been the subject of a little debate on here, and its a Mk3 Antar. The second might have had a mention, as its an M38A1 and the third is a rather lovely Humber Heavy Utility.

Over the coming months I will be trying to keep you up to date with progree on all 3, but in the meantime I will be posting pictures at regular intervals on Photobucket (search for rustytrucks); for instance the Humber ones are here

http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/rr206/RustyTrucks/Humber%20Heavy%20Utility/

Inevitably my hands will be a bit full so please dont expect a rivet by rivet account, but I will try and highlight what I consider the interesting bits along the way - or alternatively if anyone wants to know how I did something then shout.

Anyway heres a picture to whet your appetite....

PB017015.jpg

Gate Guardian job - is the plan to 'tyrefill' the tyres, or stand on axle/frame supports? Biggest visual let-down / continuous maintenance on these static vehicles is flat tyres!

With over 16,000 trainees going through DST every year, and many of then slightly the wrong side of "angelic" I doubt whether there will be a shortage of - er - volunteers to do a little work here and there so I don't think a little maintenance is going to be an issue!

That said I bet these tyres have had no maintenance for 20 years or more and they are still in good shape. I am more concerned about keeping the ravages of the tinworm at bay. Matt green paint and black nasty can only do so much...

• 4 weeks later...

Right then a little update

The M38 wiring continues. What a joy it is to be working with a completely black wiring loom! But any minute now (well in the next day or so) it is all going to be hooked up and it will be good. I would put a picture on of a bit of wire but you dont really want that do you??

Much more interesting is the Antar, with the fuel tank covers, bonnet and engine sides all now patched up, blasted and in primer. The radiator cowl needs some fettling but that should be done in the next few days, the aim then is to cut away and fabricate a pair of front mudguards.

Heres the bonnet top and sides:

Copy of PB297191.jpg

Copy of PB297190.jpg

Copy of PB297193.JPG

Meanwhile the Humber timberwork is slowly taking shape - mind you there is a surprising amount of steelwork to be done as many of the 3d brackets that hold everything together need to be re-made. My big stock of ash timber is taking a bit of a beating - the wheelarch section is laminated from 6 separate sections and the curve of each makes for quite a lot of waste. Luckily for me ash is one thing that does grow on trees. Anyway heres the pics:

Copy of PB307199.jpg

Copy of PB307195.jpg

Copy of PB307197.jpg

Copy of PB297185.JPG

• 1 month later...

OK shipmates what is 9 ft long, weighs rather a lot and has enough welding in it to sunburn the back of my hand?

Answer - an Antar mudguard.

At first I thought I might patch it here and there but then I thought to heck with it and knocked up a new one. Quite a lot of the underpinnings needed some MIG loving too. Next stage is the cab on this side, then I will be over to the nearside for a repeat performance, which should be quicker as I now have all the measurements and settings for my folder and rolls logged.

wing 2.jpg

wing 1.jpg

It does indeed pop off - although you and I might discuss the exact definition of "with a little effort" over a pint one day! Actually there is little point in splitting the cab as all the real damage is below the join. I nearly gave myself a hernia just getting the door down the stepladder. They dont look that big on the truck but try lifting the beggars off though!

Nice work on the wings, brings back memories of my full Antar Mk3 restoration 1988-92, I chose the repair route with the font wings.

If you need lengths of the "pyramid tread plate" it is still available from Albert Jaeger Ltd, but you probably knew that anyway.

It does indeed pop off - although you and I might discuss the exact definition of "with a little effort" over a pint one day! Actually there is little point in splitting the cab as all the real damage is below the join. I nearly gave myself a hernia just getting the door down the stepladder. They dont look that big on the truck but try lifting the beggars off though!

Yer seen some unsuspecting body makers eyes bulging, when caught out by the weight of them there doors.

Yes whole cab comes off really easy, remove all the seat boxes and across the back if the cab are 5? small removable panels which behind are 5 nuts for the rear cab mounts, just remove these. then around the front bulkhead are a quantity of 3/8 nuts and bolts after removing these and a few small pipes and wires inside the cab it can be lifted clean off leaving the vehicle in full driveable order (I know not in this case !). I did not split the cab on 12DM60 so cannot advise on this.

With regards to the windscreens I did have a pair of brand new boxed ones as spares but they went with the truck when I sold it to Mervyn Annetts in Basingstoke, I doubt he would sell them but may be worth a try.

• 4 weeks later...

Right then a picture or two. First - Antar, and one cab side is now all but repaired and I have fabricated a new pair of fire extinguisher holders (the picture shows one old and one new). I have built the bulge that goes over the air vents into the cab but wont screw them on till I have put some proper paint on (not the horrid green primer you see in the pics).

Next is the Humber - and the new ash timber frame, then last of all (because I love welding) the windscreen of the M38A1 which needed a complete new lower section.

P2147388.jpg

P2077340.jpg

P2077342.jpg

P2077347.jpg

P2147382.jpg

• 1 month later...