Tuition assistanace required

ferretfixer

Unusual one this! Can anybody possibly help with this request at all Please?

I wish to learn to play the Bugle, BUT. Only require to learn ONE tune,- THE LAST POST!

I live in Ashford so in the area or just outside of it would be no problem.

I have surfed the local musicians & shops websites to no avail!

The Reason for this is simple.

I do charity work with our local branch of the Royal British Legion. & have held the position of branch chairman previously.

I want to learn the last post so I can bring that 'Little Something Extra' to the Annual Cerimony held at the War Memorial Service that we attend in November.

For me personaly, I would like to be able to offer this facility as an extra tribute to Honour our Servicemen & Women.

I realise that it might not be a completed project for this year.

But would be very nice to offer next year.

Any Pointers or assistance VERY Warmly wellcomed! Many Thanks in advance.

Mike.

That's quite a big ask of yourself to be able to do that by rememberance day, you've only got a fortnight. And I can tell you from past experience, it takes a bit of bottle to stand in front of everyone and play on a day like that.

I trust you have a bugle to play on? Do you have the sheet music for Last Post, and can you read it? More importantly, do you have somewhere to practice without annoying the neighbours/wife/air traffic etc?

I haven't played anything for over 30 years, and even then my main instruments were tuba or trombone. That said I reckon I can still remember how. I'm only Sittingbourne, not too far away, might be able to help. Send me a PM if you don't get a better offer.

Buy a cheap wall hanger hunting horn and learn to sound that. Then move onto a bugle mouthpice. Purse lips and F*rt down it, honestly that's how it was described to me, and it works. If you can get sound out of a cheap wall hanger you'll have no problem with the real thing.

Beiing a bugle it is simular to other brass instruments, especially a cornet or trumpet. They are not able to make as many notes, as its all down to your lip action inside the mouth peice.

That's actually the awkward bit, and the higher the note the more difficult it becomes. Even soloists in the RM band have been heard to split the high notes on occasions. To be honest, I don't really think this is achievable in the timescales. (I used to play Cornet in the Test Valley Brass when in my teens).

Andy

That's quite a big ask of yourself to be able to do that by rememberance day, you've only got a fortnight. And I can tell you from past experience, it takes a bit of bottle to stand in front of everyone and play on a day like that.

I trust you have a bugle to play on? Do you have the sheet music for Last Post, and can you read it? More importantly, do you have somewhere to practice without annoying the neighbours/wife/air traffic etc?

I haven't played anything for over 30 years, and even then my main instruments were tuba or trombone. That said I reckon I can still remember how. I'm only Sittingbourne, not too far away, might be able to help. Send me a PM if you don't get a better offer.

Hi Rob,Yes I realise that, & I did put in the listing that I would Like to be able to offer this facility for NEXT year. ;)

Upon reflection, I certainly do not think it acheiveable for THIS year! I have a LOT to do at present, this is after all.

The Legions busy time of the year with Poppy collecting Etc.

I have a MINT, Unissued Silver Ex Military Bugle still in the packing. I would learn on that, as it would be THE instrument I wish to use.

I can NOT read Music sheets & was Hoping to 'Fast Track' this by being shown on a copy-cat basis! (or am I being unrealistic here?)

Practice: I would approach our Local TA Unit to practice in one of thier MT Hangers. I have a contact there.

I am informed, that the Bugle basicaly. Utilises only five notes, or is that incorrect?

Thank you for your kind offer, I have one iron in the fire with another Potential as well locally.

If I run into a wall, I will get back to you.

Cheers, Mike.:saluting:

Is there not a local brass band that you could speak to?

Beiing a bugle it is simular to other brass instruments, especially a cornet or trumpet. They are not able to make as many notes, as its all down to your lip action inside the mouth peice.

Not as such, But I may approach our local Air Cadets with this.

I am also investigating the possibility of funding for this project.

Cheers.

Buy a cheap wall hanger hunting horn and learn to sound that. Then move onto a bugle mouthpice. Purse lips and F*rt down it, honestly that's how it was described to me, and it works. If you can get sound out of a cheap wall hanger you'll have no problem with the real thing.

Tony, Im fortunate in the Fact I have a Bugle & also a few spare mouth pieces. (I look for old Bugle's at Bootfairs that mostly have these missing. They are a lot cheaper to buy & restore!)

Do you have to have to purse your lips when ypou F*rt down it because of the strain. Or am I inserting it in the wrong hole?..........:nut:

I have also witnessed a mouthpiece inserted into a .303" No.4 Rifle at the muzzle. And a tune played on it!

So I guess sticking to a Bugle is safer, i dont want to blow my head off! :shocked:

Also witnessed a metal watering can being played, but I think that MOST un Military!.....

Cheers Mate.

I was taught to play the Tuba, and I was in a brass band many years ago. The band leader first taught me how to play a note by getting me to just put my tongue between my closed lips and he put a small piece of paper on the end of my tongue. I had to blow the paper off my tongue without moving my lips and is very like blowing a 'Raspberry'. This is the basis of making a note. You make the different notes by controlling your lips. It's not how hard you blow, it's making the air vibrate that makes the note.

One tip - Make sure you have a good Silver plated mouthpiece and always keep it clean and sterile, for medical reasons.

I used to play the trumpet and that was hard enough and it is a lot easier than a bugle as you have to get ALL the notes with just your lips so to speak.

I learnt by playing middle C then top C then bottom C, this gave my lips the practice to cover the range needed, when i had these covered easy i was able to throw in the other notes that do not use the valves and then finally the vales came into play at the end.

I wish you all the best with your venture and i am sure you will achieve it for such a worthy cause.

Malc

Hi Mike,

Just read first post again (properly this time :blush:) You did say next year, so plenty of time.

No you don't need to be able to read music, especially as you know what the last post sounds like.

Once you have got the hang of blowing properly, it's just a case of getting the right notes in the right order, and practise forever

Hi Guys, well, It LOOKS promising so far! I have had a response back from a local music school via a music shop in Ashford.

It is half hour lessons @ £13 per lesson booked in blocks of four. I have applied for funding via a Carer Charity that I am a member of. It seems good so far, just need clearance & approval!

I will keep you posted on progress.

Thank you all for your kind assistance & good wishes.

ATB: Mike

Good luck with that mate! And let us know how you get on, it's for an admirable cause.

Strangely I've recently been toying with the idea of teaching myself the bagpipes, I mean how hard can it be!

Thanks for that.

Well, Playing the 'Squeeling Pig' seems to me a much more challenging task!

You have THREE things to do at once!

Blowing constantly, Squeezing with your elbow & playing the 'Pipe section' with your fingers.

Coodination is the order of the day there!

I think I have got the 'Easier'?? task! Lol!

Good Luck to you as well. Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Update:

Well, I have recieved a communication to the effect that my request for Funding for the required music lessons.

HAVE now been granted! :thanx:I now have to get the confirmation paperwork & then apply to my 'Teacher' for booking lesson days.

I will keep you ALL posted as to what happens. (Like I get a blowout in one of my cheeks, or something!)

At last, SOMETHING is going MY way for a change!..............:laugh:

Cheers All!

Mike.

Update:

Well, I have recieved a communication to the effect that my request for Funding for the required music lessons.

HAVE now been granted! :thanx:I now have to get the confirmation paperwork & then apply to my 'Teacher' for booking lesson days.

I will keep you ALL posted as to what happens. (Like I get a blowout in one of my cheeks, or something!)

At last, SOMETHING is going MY way for a change!..............:laugh:

Cheers All!

Mike.

:-DOh Gawd!! Your not to approach Jack for membership of the Club House Dance band are you?

I also posted this some time ago, I felt very sad at reading it and not resist sharing it with the forum.

If any of you have ever been to a military funeral in which 'The Last Post' was played; this brings out a new meaning of it.

Here is something everyone should know. Until I read this, I didn't know, but I checked it out and it's true:

We have all heard the haunting song, 'The Last Post.' It's the song that gives us the lump in our throats and usually tears in our eyes.

But, do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you will be interested to find out about its humble beginnings.

Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the American Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia . The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land.

During the night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment.

When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.

The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son. The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out. Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army.

The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy status. His request was only partially granted.

The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral.

The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate.

But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only one musician.

The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's uniform.

This wish was granted.

The haunting melody, we now know as 'The Last Post' used at military funerals was born.

The words are:

Day is done.

Gone the sun.

From the lakes

From the hills.

From the sky.

All is well.

Safely rest.

God is nigh.

Fading light.

Dims the sight.

And a star.

Gems the sky.

Gleaming bright.

From afar.

Drawing nigh.

Falls the night.

Thanks and praise.

For our days.

Neath the sun

Neath the stars.

Neath the sky

As we go.

This we know.

God is nigh

I too have felt the chills while listening to 'The Last Post' but I have never seen all the words to the song until now. I didn't even know there was more than one verse . I also never knew the story behind the song and I didn't know if you had either so I thought I'd pass it along.

I now have an even deeper respect for the song than I did before.

Remember Those Lost and Harmed While Serving Their Country.

Also Remember Those Who Have Served And Returned; and for those presently serving in the Armed Forces.

Although this is not played on a bugle and really should be, it is still very inspirational!

Edited by montie
video didnt't stick

• 9 months later...

Read this with interest and wondered if it was made a reality.

If you have now mastered the last post surely your next task is to do the 'reveille' as the full symbolism for remembrance is the last post - closing the day for the fallen, the 2 minute silence to reflect and remember and reveille to open the new day and the future.

Good luck

gary