time for anti freeze

griff66

... and if you're using conventional wet lead-acid batteries, either keep them fully charged or take them out and put them somewhere warmer. The electrolyte in discharged batteries can freeze and crack the battery case.

Andy

Ahhh, that will be what happened to mine a couple of years ago then. The Ferret is kept outside all year. Cheers Andy

I use 50/50 anti freeze mix. NEVER use distilled or De-Ionised water!!! It will draw ions and therefore corrode the metal. The old British Army advice is best 'Use Fresh Rain Water'. In London the water is so hard you chew it. I normally leave a plastic dustbin out to collect rain from straight down, not metal. Filter through an old nylon stocking. Cumbersome and quaint, but works.

I may be wrong but I have always been taught that rainwater that has not touched any metal is distilled water....

Quote from net..

Distilled water is preferable to tap water for use in automotive cooling systems. The minerals and ions typically found in tap water can be corrosive to internal engine components, and can cause a more rapid depletion of the anti-corrosion additives found in most antifreeze formulations

Edited by diamond-t-steve

I may be wrong but I have always been taught that rainwater that has not touched any metal is distilled water....

Quote from net..

Distilled water is preferable to tap water for use in automotive cooling systems. The minerals and ions typically found in tap water can be corrosive to internal engine components, and can cause a more rapid depletion of the anti-corrosion additives found in most antifreeze formulations

Steve,

You are right about rain water, not having touched metal, being as good as distilled, and thus is good for topping up batteries ................but, when you come to think of it, if you put water that has not contacted metal, into a cooling system, it is immediately contacting metal !!! I think those of us in a hard water area should preferably use a rain water for cooling, due to the amount of chalk and scale that comes from the tap water, just look inside the kettle. It depends on what area your water supply is coming from.

Round here Richard, as you know the first time you boil the kettle is the last time you see the bottom! :D Rain water is clean, but still has some residue in it from atmospheric pollutants, and the ions. The very pure water distilled on nuclear submarines has the odd side effect of removing calcium from bones of the crew. This is then passed in a solid form. It plays merry hell with the toilet systems apparently. The macerators used to chop and diperse the waste are jammed by the stones. I was also advised years ago by an old mechanic to add K Bar conditioner to the system when I cagnged anti freeze, I've done that ever since. Touch wood never lost one to freezing.

Edited by Tony B

• 1 year later...

I assume you mean hydrometers rather than hygrometers but for batteries and anti freeze two totally different types of hydrometer are needed. As with most things the cheap types with just a float marked with perhaps three colours are a complete waste of money as they are far too inaccurate. For antifreeze it needs to have a built in thermometer to work out the percentage of antifreeze as the temperature of the sample is critical to work out an accurate result. Likewise with the battery one it needs to be of good quality accurately marked for specific gravity not just colours on the float.