Austin Champ 05 BE 56

ITS ALIVE !!!!! have rebuilt ignition and spent a couple of hours this morning refitting it only to find an intermittant fault in the loom have bypassed this and hey presto !!! all the lights lit up and the starting motor turned over as well so I could'nt resist asking my mate Neil to hold up a temp fuel tank and yes the engine ran virtually on first try and its really sweeeet ! having done so much work to the head, distributor, carb rebuild etc I hadn't much hope in getting it going today but here is the proof

A great relief to know all is ok and now I can get on with sorting brakes / fuel tank etc etc

Engine running :-D a happy rivet !!!!

n100_1956.jpg

100_1953.jpg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:beer::yay: Jeremy that is fantastic news, I have to say and enjoyed the video clip....

Footage didn't show you grinning from ear to ear though and those warning lamp covers finish off the restored ignition module a treat.

The Champ is a credit to you and now it is running I suspect Caroline is beaming also.

Great news and well done buddy...............

Fantastic and Congratulations :D:D:D:D:D

ITS ALIVE !!!!! have rebuilt ignition

Just looked at earlier image of face and what a difference??? Where did you obtain the decals for the switches etc as yours were missing.

Also did you clean up yourself or get Deano to carefully Blast?????? 10 out of 10.

Cheers Wayne I must admit I never thought it would run first try like that.

Cleaned up ignition casings myself with wire wheel, stencils were made using letraset rub on decals bleedin fiddly job had to redo them a couple of times :nut: bulb covers do the trick glad I went for them in the end ouch !!

Caroline a bit dissapointed as she was not there today when I run it, but looks like we will take the Jeep thing out for a spin tomo and will call by to pick up the fuel tank ready for cleaning and sealing.

Thats the trouble with taking video only just remembered that my digi stills camera took video so thought it would be laugh to film my mate Neil drinking tea whilst holding pop bottle / temporary fuel container with a drop of juice in (don't try this at home) we did have 2 fire extinguishers at the ready just in case things got a bit lively :cool2:

Today has given me a bit more encouragement to push on ready for June.

Cheers Wayne I must admit I never thought it would run first try like that.

Cleaned up ignition casings myself with wire wheel, stencils were made using letraset rub on decals bleedin fiddly job had to redo them a couple of times :nut: bulb covers do the trick glad I went for them in the end ouch !!

Caroline a bit dissapointed as she was not there today when I run it, but looks like we will take the Jeep thing out for a spin tomo and will call by to pick up the fuel tank ready for cleaning and sealing.

Thats the trouble with taking video only just remembered that my digi stills camera took video so thought it would be laugh to film my mate Neil drinking tea whilst holding pop bottle / temporary fuel container with a drop of juice in (don't try this at home) we did have 2 fire extinguishers at the ready just in case things got a bit lively :cool2:

Today has given me a bit more encouragement to push on ready for June.

LoL...The risks we take outside the work circle hey?.....At least you didnt start on Tea and Neil drinking 95Ron.

The Letraset looks fantastic and well done.....

Tell me what was the font etc as it truly looks fantastic............FIDDLY....I can imagine, but well worth the effort....

Again well done and you can tell me more when I pop round for the fuel bolt with a Vino trade :-D

ITS ALIVE !!!!! have rebuilt ignition and spent a couple of hours this morning refitting it only to find an intermittant fault in the loom have bypassed this and hey presto !!! all the lights lit up and the starting motor turned over as well so I could'nt resist asking my mate Neil to hold up a temp fuel tank and yes the engine ran virtually on first try and its really sweeeet ! having done so much work to the head, distributor, carb rebuild etc I hadn't much hope in getting it going today but here is the proof
A great relief to know all is ok and now I can get on with sorting brakes / fuel tank etc etc

Engine running :-D a happy rivet !!!!

n[ATTACH=CONFIG]58842[/ATTACH]

I see the dining table workbench has spread to the kitchen.........................

Caroline might get miffed when you take the parts upstairs and fill the rest of the house.

Regards

Already done that !!! front and rear seats plus bumper in the front bedroom and clutch, gearbox and various other panels in the spare :wow: other oddsnsods inc seat covers are in the attic think I may be pushing my luck !!! :D though am taking the front axle bash plates down t'shed today, suns shining jeep thing needs a run :D any excuse :cool2:

Yes had to keep an eye on me mate to stop him drinking the wrong stuff the letraset I used came from epay its called RDCO130 3mm white, after fixing tranfers its best to use a clear laquer over to protect but you must use spray type as if you try to brush it on you smudge the lettering grrrrrrrrrrrr !

Edited by rampant rivet

Already done that !!! front and rear seats plus bumper in the front bedroom and clutch, gearbox and various other panels in the spare :wow: other oddsnsods inc seat covers are in the attic think I may be pushing my luck !!! :D though am taking the front axle bash plates down t'shed today, suns shining jeep thing needs a run :D any excuse :cool2:

Yes had to keep an eye on me mate to stop him drinking the wrong stuff the letraset I used came from epay its called RDCO130 3mm white, after fixing tranfers its best to use a clear laquer over to protect but you must use spray type as if you try to brush it on you smudge the lettering grrrrrrrrrrrr !

Oh Dear and thanks.........I did suspect sprayed laquer was the was to go...........

I hope the run in the Jeep goes well. You picked a stinking day for it :D

Have brought the tank back for cleaning this afternoon :shocked: how do you start to get rid of 60 years of sludge from your petrol tank ? top tip - stick your empty tank in your car/van and pop down to your local car hand wash establishment the dodgier looking the better and chuck the boys some cash let em loose with the pressure washers and stand clear :D amazing how much crap came out.

Am soaking it with marine clean now to remove the remaining gunge.

100_1958.jpg

Will seal tank wth POR 15 later in the week depending on weather.

Edited by rampant rivet

POR 15 supply all you need to clean, treat and seal your tank I got mine from Frost they supply lots of kit for restoration work, costs around £65 for the kit which is enough for this size tank best to follow online instructions on how to use cleaner etc, This is my first attempt at using this product though my father has used it for motorcycle tanks and it seems to do the job also the makers claim it to be ethanol proof.

Am letting cleaner soak over night, so far it has dissolved a lot of the goo :D

Update on using POR 15 to clean tank, well came home from work this eve after leaving cleaning solution in tank for around 18 hrs emptied out horrible brown coloured yuck :shocked: have stored fluid prior to safe disposal, bottom of tank now shiny clean :-) have put remaining cleaning fluid in and have turned tank 90degs to remove sludge up sides of tank will continue to rotate tank over the next few days to try to get rid of remaining ick hopefully.

I have often wondered about the Marine clean product as it supposed to be fantastic at cleaning the wierd and wonderful gunk and stains from boats etc.

For those wanting to know more;

http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-marine-clean-3-78-litres.html

I guess it is a more severe product than Gunk as it cuts through the varnish effect that is created over time from fuel.

Keep us posted on your shiny inards RR :shocked: :shocked: :blush: :red:

Still sloshing marine clean around tank leaving it in a different position every 8 hrs roughly to try to get the last gunk out, I did not buy the petrol tank kit as such as I did not want the petrol preservative stuff and wanted larger quantities of cleaner/ sealer ect glad I did as I have used a gal of the stuff and have a gallon of of prep to use next.

Still sloshing marine clean around tank leaving it in a different position every 8 hrs roughly to try to get the last gunk out, I did not buy the petrol tank kit as such as I did not want the petrol preservative stuff and wanted larger quantities of cleaner/ sealer ect glad I did as I have used a gal of the stuff and have a gallon of of prep to use next.

RR I guess that you only need the full kit if you have a tank leak to overcome!

Once you remove all that gunk mind you it is possible that you could uncover one in a seam???? :nut::nut::nut:

Jeremy in the bits you bought was 'Metal Ready' included. I used that some years ago and it almost returned metal to as new shiny steel etc, albeit didn't lose the pitting effect of decay!

It was a great product with small parts where they could be immersed and kept wet.

I guess as a preparation before primer and top coat it almost acts as a cold Galv base. Not total protection but gives another layer beneath the paint process etc.

Regarding Paints I have also been made aware of a French paint supplier who trades through a Hardware shop in Tewkesbury that sell 'Deproma' that far excells the 'Smoothrite' product in so many ways and takes on board marine technology as it can be painted onto wet rusty steel.

The Importer states;

"Deproma Rustproof is a heavy duty maintenance paint which functions like traditional primer, undercoat and topcoat. Based on oil absorbent, water displacement technology, it can be applied directly to damp, greasy and rusty steel surfaces"

Have you heard of 'Deproma' paints??

I painted the tow bar frame on my Land Rover Discovery some 12 months ago as it was showing rust and pitting. I over painted it with a brush and the finish is still intact and bomb proof regarding wear, so would be ideal for chassis black I guess.

It comes in quite a few standard shades that would be top coatable. Unlike Smoothrite, as it is oil based it takes top coats much better, which has to be good

Edited by Rover8FFR
typo

Yes bought a gal of marine clean, gal of metal ready and a largish tin of sealant which I hope will do the job, tank is now clean of goo so tomo will use metal ready to prep for sealant, will have to "borrow" a hairdryer to get the tank dry inside !!.

Good news on tent front have tracked one down in Porthcawl today of all places looks a minter too, so will have des res at the shows this year.

Bit more progress today tank is cleaned out ready to seal tomo, have been working on the champ all day and have replaced most of the old brake pipes inc flexible ones. Am also sorting fuel lines at the same time.

Front axle ready for primer and top coat resisted starting the engine again today must concentrate on getting things done.

resisted starting the engine again today must concentrate on getting things done.

Admit it mate, you were soooo Tempted!

Still need to pop across and collect Banjo Bolt / Exchange for Vino, so let me know when a good time in week or weekend ;)

Keep up the good work and the thread.......:D

Hey RR

Enjoying following the progress on your Champ. You seem to take a very steady approach to it, and I assume that will pay off in the end. I have posed a question regarding the cleaning and priming of the chassis and body of the Champ. How did you do yours, if you don't mind me asking?

Simon