Austin Champ 05 BE 56

Hi Simon and welcolm

Anything that could be removed was and then shotblasted and primed, black underseal under the wheel arches i removed using a blow lamp and scraper carefully :cool2: have'nt tackled the chassis yet but it looks not too bad so will sortit when I get the time as I am concentrating on getting the brakes up and running at the mo.

Have some repairs to do to the cills and odd bits to the floor pans but the main body will be sanded down primed and glossed from experience I want to make sure that the systems are all ok rather than trying to fix them on the side of the road :blush:

Cheers RR.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

Regarding Paints I have also been made aware of a French paint supplier who trades through a Hardware shop in Tewkesbury that sell 'Deproma' that far excells the 'Smoothrite' product in so many ways and takes on board marine technology as it can be painted onto wet rusty steel.

The Importer states;

"Deproma Rustproof is a heavy duty maintenance paint which functions like traditional primer, undercoat and topcoat. Based on oil absorbent, water displacement technology, it can be applied directly to damp, greasy and rusty steel surfaces"

Have you heard of 'Deproma' paints??

I painted the tow bar frame on my Land Rover Discovery some 12 months ago as it was showing rust and pitting. I over painted it with a brush and the finish is still intact and bomb proof regarding wear, so would be ideal for chassis black I guess.

It comes in quite a few standard shades that would be top coatable. Unlike Smoothrite, as it is oil based it takes top coats much better, which has to be good

I have used Deproma on a number of occasions with good results, as you says it beats Smoothrite hands down. It is quite popular in railway restoration circles.

At last the tank is sealed, after much cleaning drying etc as the weather was ok this afty I have managed to use the POR15 to seal the tank, its in the garage now drying will be next weekend before its ready to fit have to make up a new fuel pipe from tank to filter as it was full of gum etc.

Good Stuff RR. Keep this topic open as I know there have been mixed results uing the POR15 tank seal and I guess with all these things, it's in the preparation.

Interested to see your results after all the hard work done so far........

Cheers ;)

Two wheels on my wagon or so the song goes, have managed to paint front axle etc and refit the front wheels :D

100_1973.jpg

Its beginning to start to look like a champ again now the front wheels are on the deck tomo I can start refitting the rear brake cylinders, petrol tank is now stewing I will leave it for while before fitting.

Jeremy looking good there friend :-)

I have collected the Andy 5000, but need to change attachments as it is a modern grease nipple end. Also drum is full of grease............

I hope to have fettled soon and you can use either Andy 5000 or the other New version to replenish the Champ.

Regards

Am using wire wheel cup brush in a 4" grinder plus ordinary wire brush, scraper and old paint thinners to degrease plus lots of elbow grease :nut: the best bit is removing the old underseal in the wheel arches the most effective method found so far is a blowtorch and scraper:wow:

plus lots of elbow grease :nut:

Thats always the bit you can't quantify in terms of effort and time.

I have used one of those flapper sanding discs recently that will strip paint, wear away rivets and also gring down welding.

I hadn't used them until recently, but they work very well, especially on hard steel parts............:-D

RR it is all relative as you have an aim and timeline. The vehicles are always Works in Progress unless you are a Rivet Counter.

I think what you are doing is great and the quality and transformation speak leaps!

After June you can always revisit some parts you didn't remove and make a judgement call on what you do I guess.

Did you get my reply about meeting DC.......

PM if you prefer etc................

Champ looking good indeed :-D

Glad you got on ok with DC I think he will be a great help to you and your restorations like I said more landys than you can shake a stick at.:shocked: must remember to pick up those odd champ bits the next time I call by.

RR it is all relative as you have an aim and timeline. The vehicles are always Works in Progress unless you are a Rivet Counter.

I think what you are doing is great and the quality and transformation speak leaps!

After June you can always revisit some parts you didn't remove and make a judgement call on what you do I guess.

Did you get my reply about meeting DC.......

PM if you prefer etc................

Champ looking good indeed :-D

Glad you got on ok with DC I think he will be a great help to you and your restorations like I said more landys than you can shake a stick at.:shocked: must remember to pick up those odd champ bits the next time I call by.

Yes mate and thanks for Intro. Nice Bloke and good friend to have for LR stuff. I get the feeling you would always come away with something even if its a Nut and Bolt you need.........

He has a few nice vehicles there..........Old, Older and New :D

Nuther day working on the Champ thing replaced one of the cills today what a state even the inner cill was rotten started by cutting out the rot

100_1988.jpg

eek!

100_1989.jpg

just a bit of rust !!

100_1990.jpg

Had to fabricate an inner cill

100_1992.jpg

inner cill now for outer

100_1993.jpg

tack welded

100_1997.jpg

Gorilla welding ugly but strong !!

100_1998.jpg

bit of grinding luvly

100_1999.jpg

now for the next, time for a cuppa tea me thinks

Edited by rampant rivet

Hey RR

Brilliant piece of welding, mate. Amazing how this was the Champ's Achilles Heel, as most if not all the Champs I have seen had this part rusted out.

Your restoration seems to be coming along really nicely, and I can't wait to see the results. I am hopefully going to look at my future vehicle in about 2 weeks time, and will try to bring it down to Sydney in the next couple of months.

Can't wait!

Keep up the amazing work.

Simon

Sorry mate no chance to play with the twins will have a go on weds night as I,ll only get a few hrs tinker time I.ll have a go then, many thanks for lending me the super shiny one, did you get to autojumble sat ?

Not really I sort of passed as they we nearly all gone at 2.00pm ish......Only saw motorbike stuff from the road.

I guess your text made me think not much point.......

I hope that Andy brothers do there thing on Wednesday if you get chance..............

A trip to Newbury would have been better, but Sunday is only free day, so keeping number 1 son entertained whilst his mum has some dressage training...........Oh Hello! :undecided:

I'm back in office tomorrow so will see the parcels that arrived whilst I was away last week. Expecting Oil lubricator and Needle Gun / Air Chisel set.....:D:D:D