Austin Champ 05 BE 56

Glad that you are sorted with blasting I just get them to blast and prime for me, the first lot of parts I supplied the paint and paid ££££ to help keep the cost down more cost effective if you give them a whole pile of stuff.

I have no experience of the powdered zinc spray but Dave coates has just had a landy chassis done by them and seemed happy with the cost and finish.

Before

after

100_1718.jpg

100_1919.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad that you are sorted with blasting I just get them to blast and prime for me, the first lot of parts I supplied the paint and paid ££££ to help keep the cost down more cost effective if you give them a whole pile of stuff.

I have no experience of the powdered zinc spray but Dave coates has just had a landy chassias done by them and seemed happy with the cost and finish.

Before

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57625[/ATTACH]

after

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57626[/ATTACH]

Great work and yes Deano did say the more you bring the better the price. Did you provide the DBG paint or did you paint up yourself...Also what primer did they use / you give them????

Deano mentioned a mid to dark grey high build etch primer that they use!

Cheers

Happy Days RR and cheers mate.......

I ask as you have a nice deep gloss on your top coat.......It all boils down to preparation with a quality finish as your panels confirm. Where did you get your engine paint from??

I noticed at the blasters that you use HMG paints, which I know are superb quality.

Thanks again in advance....Wayno

Call by for a cuppa and I,ll tell you about the paint I have a house full of painted panels at the mo and a very understanding wife :nut: I have some engine paint left over how much do you need ? can be sprayed or brushed and is quick drying, from memory I found a small pot of it on ebay will have to have a look.

DBG 224 from jeeparts gives a nice finish, easier to use than matt paint to my suprise.

Call by for a cuppa and I,ll tell you about the paint I have a house full of painted panels at the mo and a very understanding wife :nut: I have some engine paint left over how much do you need ? can be sprayed or brushed and is quick drying, from memory I found a small pot of it on ebay will have to have a look.

DBG 224 from jeeparts gives a nice finish, easier to use than matt paint to my suprise.

Your on matey....Out and about a bit this week and part of weekend with work etc.....Wife and her horses after 3 years of maternity and full time mum so I need to be supportive after all that has happened and play Daddy Day Care

, so will hope to get over with a cup of sugar and say hello!!! I will hold you to the invite and may knock Friday PM or Saturday PM so please state preference :)

I think so, you see it on bull-bars and running board on 4x4's

Yes but the finish today way an off white / grey finish.......

That does not ring true with the parts you mention unless personal preference!.....However top coat is priority above hot dip galv????????????

RR took a peek in my album of an image for an old school NATO hitch and came across this one off an FV1611a so it would be dated to suit original humber build of 1953 or conversion to Pig in 1959.

Hope it helps on type and dating for your early Champ

IMAG0089.jpg

Regards

Cheers wayne looks just like my one so probably correct for my champ, started to sort the exhaust system a bit on sat plus managed briefly to light up the dash lights after fitting new batteries before fault set in, am getting close to starting that engine :cool2:, am fettling bonnet up in garage this eve plus other odds n sods.

bonnet fettling

100_1929.jpg

Yes but only grey anti corosion paint the marks towards the top are from my attempts at filling some tin worm with a bit of mig weld. Will not gloss it untill near the time to fit it to the champ due to risk of damage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58131[/ATTACH]

rad offered up on Saturday

Offered Up??? Oh suits you Sir ;)

Now for a bit of a change, had rebuilt the jeep engine a while back and made the mistake of fitting the wrong timing chain cover ! had one knocking around from an M 38 engine which I intend to rebuild as a spare sometime :nut: anyway as the bulk of the work on the champ is in hand thought I,d put right my stoopid mistake, what joy !

So much simpler to work on just got the engine up and running tonight and it dose'nt rattle now :-D

100_1937.jpg

I have today off for my Birthday :nut: back to champ resto tomo

Birthday and then working on Champ tomorrow.......Where can I get a wife like yours............

Anyway MANY HAPPY RETURNS..........Have a great Birthday.

Saturday was rather frustrating managed to fit shroud to radiator and finally get the complete assembly attached to the vehicle but still had intermittant ignition fault, so have taken out ignition switchboard to refurbish, glad I did really as I found one loose cable one damaged cable plus the light switch seized and have taken out ignition lock to have new keys cut am finding that all these jobs take time and I am aware that June is not that far away but must have things sorted correctly now rather than on the side of the road on the way to Champ Camp :nut:

100_1939.jpg

Yes dining table having it again :coffee: now all I need to do is sort out which cable went where !!!

Jeremy is the ignition panel akin to the one used in a Humber like this?????

Cant see the front of yours on dining table, but suspect very similar as a FV continuity part.

If so a wiring diagram for a Humber may help if you don't have a Champ one.

20120301_144451.jpg

;):readbook:

Thanks Wayne

Yes I have the same panel as that and luckily have a full set of EMERS, have just made a copy of the wiring diagram, I see you have started on your project :wow: that'l keep you busy for a while :D be good to see a different kind of pig in the forest :cheesy:

RR.

100_1940.jpg

I thought they would be identical due to vintage and FV continuity. Even the dials would be similar I reckon.

Yes mate I am on the go at the minute I must say and will be flitting between the landies and Piggy........

I know what you mean about Pigs in the forest..........

Passed by Speechouse the other week and 2 boars were crossing the road.......I didn't appreciate how big they are.........

If I see or even hit one of them at night I would want to be in my Pig and not a VW!!!!!

Cheers

Help needed ! I need new or good secondhand warning light lenses for my ignition panel the red one I have is seized solid in the panel and I fear will break if/when I try to remove it to replace indicator bulb in the future, the yellow one I have managed to remove but is nearly white in colour so would like to replace both, does anyone have any going spare or know where they may be found please :help:

RR,

I had the same problem on my switchboard , though I had the older domed type coloured lens and there was no convenient place to apply twisting pressure to free them from the fusing effect of aluminium corrosion. In the end they were trashed, the threads cleaned up and some (albeit bleached) later type lenses were screwed in.

If you do come across any more serviceable items, I think there'd be a number of interested parties !

Jack

Champ Instrument Panels 7 Jan 12.JPG