Chainsaw Grease

fesm_ndt

Someone told me ages ago that spraying in chainsaw grease was a good rust inhbitor for hollow sections.

I realise it would be no good on external surfaces.

Curious as waxoil is not available over here that I have seen thus far. So wondering if anyone has used it

Edited by fesm_ndt
fix bad spelling from using small screen blackberry

Chainsaw oil is sticky as hell, would work great.

Also look out for open gear/wire rope lube, that's the same essentially but has rust inhibitors in too for exposed conditions. :D

How about denso paste thinned-down with white spirit, that would be good too. I've had valves on site water supplies covered in a lick of denso paste come up like new, even after 5 years exposed to the elements!!

Alec.

Chainsaw oil is sticky as hell, would work great.

Also look out for open gear/wire rope lube, that's the same essentially but has rust inhibitors in too for exposed conditions. :D

How about denso paste thinned-down with white spirit, that would be good too. I've had valves on site water supplies covered in a lick of denso paste come up like new, even after 5 years exposed to the elements!!

Alec.

never thought of Denso.... will have to ask some sources over here

I'd vote for Anchor Wax. Used worldwide (I've seen it used in Bangladesh) and if you get it from a farm/agricultural supplier it is FAR cheaper than anywhere else too, so its worth searching out a local outlet if one is available in your neck of the woods.

If you have too much to brush on then you can spray it - just. It's a bit thick but if you get a deck/garden sprayer, rather than a standard sprayer it will work fine.

I have a friend who swears by chainsaw oil and I have used it on my boat's previously, but I'd probably go for Anchor Wax next time I need something like this.

Alex

Just a little point and I may be wrong!! When I was in the ag. trade we sold gallons chain saw oil. I THINK but can not remember training. Sure chain saw oil had to be bio gradable so it did not contaminate forest ground etc. Given figs on how much was sprayed into the envoriment. i.e. it breaks down by rain water, not much use for a underseal. Try and find Anchor wax. A mate sprayed under my Landi. this last month with some wast oil but mixed it a underseal so it stayed 'put' and did not look like a massive oil leak. :-D Looks good.

I don't want to use it as underseal. The Pinz have loads of box sections and if rust gets into them it's a pain.

Some people slosh paint around in hollow sections but I don't think much of it as paint dont stick if the surface is not prepared.

I was even thinking of getting a few litres of waxyoil sent over on a pallet from the UK, but remembered the chainsaw oil/grease idea. A lot of good ideas have sprung up in this thread so it has been very useful.