Ward Lafrance wrecker gas bottle colours ??

Adrian Scott

Question

We are working hard to get the Ward ready for Beltring and we have not yet painted the 2 oxygen and 1 other , I assume it is either propain or is it acetylene ??? and what colours would they have been in WW2 , Your thoughts would be most helpful .

Edited by Adrian Scott
bad spelling !!

21 answers to this question

GDSF , if you read the small print, do not allow Oxy Acetylene bottle on the rally field. I would check with Beltring, they may have different insurers and different rules.

Does this apply even if the bottles are empty, purged and simply dummies?

Does this apply even if the bottles are empty, purged and simply dummies?

It applies to full or empty, I don't think anyone has considered purged, can't see how it could apply to dummies...

(Having said that there have been Mk3 Milly wreckers down at GDSF with their bottles! I think the ban is more theoretical than actual)

I plan to cut them vertically, put hinges on and use as storage lockers :cool2:

Having said that, this could be a sticking point. I flattened a propane bottle with an excavator and stuck it in a 25t bulker load of scrap. The guy in the yard carefully picked it out of the disgorged heap with his 5 tine grab and threw it back on the trailer :rolleyes:

The next trip it was in the load again, having been completely ripped open by the digger bucket and curled up like a banana. And yes, it came back again :angry

Third trip it was unregocnisable, having gone 10 rounds with a 30t digger. Never saw it again :thumbsup:

A new standard governing the colour coding of transportable gas cylinders is coming into force

across Europe.As a result, many UK industrial gas cylinders will be seeing a fresh coat of paint.

The aim of the new standard (EN 1089-3) which has replaced the old cylinder colour scheme (BS349), is to

help improve safety standards within the gases industry

http://www.ior.org.uk/ior_/images/pdf/se/New%20Colour%20ID%20Chart.pdf

I don't know whether the new standard is mandatory but if it is, Europe has agin stuck its nose in our affairs and we might have to use the new colours,

I am suggesting that this might actually be legislation we have to follow and it might no be possible to retain older colours because Europe has spoken.

All Cylinders "are required" to be labelled, See last page of this pdf

http://www.npchse.net/standards/pdf/safety%20standard/other%20standards/Colour%20Code.pdf

Edited by antarmike

No change to Propane or Acetylene colours. Oxygen will remain black, but top few inches and dome will become white.

... and 1 other , I assume it is either propane or is it acetylene ??...

Good question. I'd always assumed acetylene, but thinking about it the shape is quite similar to propane bottle and presumably lighter construction? hence lower pressure storage, so darned if I know now. Propane was in use from circa 1919 for cutting steel.

Would the TMs and equipment lists give the answer? Ah - just checked stash of manuals and schedule lists oxygen and ACETYLENE regulators! :)

How heavy is your fuel bottle Adrian?

In this country BOC sell Acetylene in two different types of cylinder. One is taller,Type F and Type G with a more rounded neck, but depending on your locality, they supply in a shorter larger diameter bottle with a flatter top that looks very much like Propane. The type H bottle.

Well BOC has actually got seven cylinders used for Acetylene, I am talking of the common industrial supply sizes here.

http://www.boconline.co.uk/health/gas_safety/cylinder_weights_sizes/cylinder_sizes_weights.asp

I had never seen one of these flimsy Acetylene type H until I moved to Lincolnshire....

Edited by antarmike

Same Mil standard lists Propyne (not Propane)

Propyne is the second simplest gas (C3H4) in the Acetylene(C2H2) family and is also used for welding and cutting

Propyne is also in a yellow cylinder but with a Gray (can't Americans spell??) top

Could it be that since Propane is not listed in the MIL standard, it was never used as a bottled gas by the US military?

Edited by antarmike

Adrian.

As far as I am aware the colours (WW11) are as follows:

2 x Oyxgen bottles colured black with white spin tops.

1 x Acetylene bottle coloured green (same as the vehicle).

As I have on the Rugged Boys.

Markheliops

No change to Propane or Acetylene colours. Oxygen will remain black, but top few inches and dome will become white.

Good question. I'd always assumed acetylene, but thinking about it the shape is quite similar to propane bottle and presumably lighter construction? hence lower pressure storage, so darned if I know now. Propane was in use from circa 1919 for cutting steel.

Would the TMs and equipment lists give the answer? Ah - just checked stash of manuals and schedule lists oxygen and ACETYLENE regulators! :)

How heavy is your fuel bottle Adrian?

Propane is filled into cylinders under pressure in a liquefied form. The empty cylinder only has a few vapours. Acetylene is dissolved in a solvent (acetone or dimethylformamide), and this solvent is normally stabilised by being absorbed in a Kapok (or Agamassan) filling. An empty Acetylene cylinder is one where pressure has reduced in the cylinder as all the dissolved Acetylene has been released from the solvent. The vast majority of the solvent stays in the bottle as does the Kapok. It should not be possible to confuse an empty Propane cylinder with an empty Acetylene cylinder whatever colour it is painted.

Edited by antarmike