HELP !!!! FORD GPW engine. New core plugs popped out !!!!!!!!! why ?

Ian L

Hi Guys

Advise need urgently so that I can go to W&P show and not worry about breaking down again !!!!!

GOOD NEWS !!!! Just finished a ground up resto on my 44 GPW and she (Millie) passed the MOT today.

BAD NEWS !!!! Fitted new core plugs during the engine rebuild but one popped out after about 30 minuites of the engine warming up and the second one popped out after about 25 miles of running.

WHY ? do I need to glue/seal them in of just hit them harder with a 'ball pein' hammer.

Cheers guys. see you at W&P ?

Make sure the surface it seats into is clean, scrape out any rust, put some gasket sealer on the edge and stick it in. Using a hammer and a drift go around the edge knocking it in a bit at a time and ensure it goes in square.

Make sure the surface it seats into is clean, scrape out any rust, put some gasket sealer on the edge and stick it in. Using a hammer and a drift go around the edge knocking it in a bit at a time and ensure it goes in square.

I did all that !!! which gasket sealer would you use ?

Cheers

Chris,

I think you might be refering to the more modern cup plugs. The Jeep has Welch plugs, the dished type with ground edge, when hit it the centre it locks in.

Litchy,

Sealer needs to be something like Stag or Red Hermetite. Problem is that the seat in the block or head can become pitted and not easy to seal.

Chris,

I think you might be refering to the more modern cup plugs. The Jeep has Welch plugs, the dished type with ground edge, when hit it the centre it locks in.

Litchy,

Sealer needs to be something like Stag or Red Hermetite. Problem is that the seat in the block or head can become pitted and not easy to seal.

You're right Richard, I've not worked on a Jeep engine. I used Red Hermetite on my M151 engine.

Chris

Chris,

Litchy,

Cheers guys.

I should of made myself clearer from the start, I am more used to the modern type cup plugs.

Two of my mates that have fitted many Welch plugs have also advised that I use Red Hermetite and then seat them by tapping the centre just like I did but also tap all round the edge with a drift.

Thanks again. Ian