Scammell and Antar photos taken in 1953 - 55 by Gordon Giles

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting to see the WLF hidden in that bunch. I wonder if it was there for a specific lifting purpose, like a higher reach or heavier lift for particular jobs?

Magnificent pictures..... I wonder how they got those scammells so bogged down

The artillery moved into the field at night it rained all night and most of the next day. they had 2 guns a matador and the scammell bogged down. we were passing stopped and pulled them out.thay treated us like heroes gave us a good dinner in the sergeants mess. I was the driver of 06-BD-36 a 6x6 explorer(the one with chains on). when we got the mighty antar I

moved up to be the driver of it. I had to go on a weeks driving course for it. glad you liked the photos

I took developed and printed them at 5 inf workshope, witten annan just outside dortmound

germany B A O R 14. gordon giles (norton 1926)

Great stuff Gordon. Thanks for sharing, there are pictures to smile at, pictures to study for deatil of uniform, kit and vehicles. They are a delight!

Too right. Partly 'cos they're pictures with people in.

Interesting in a way how few people (me included sad to say - I always take my camera and forget to use it)) bother to take photographs at the time - perhaps we don't realise at the time that anyone might in the future be interested in daily run-of-the-mill stuff that is just part of a job.

Was that you covered in mud Gordon? Whatever state must the Scammell cab have been in?:)

Interesting in a way how few people (me included sad to say - I always take my camera and forget to use it)) bother to take photographs at the time - perhaps we don't realise at the time that anyone might in the future be interested in daily run-of-the-mill stuff that is just part of a job.

Was that you covered in mud Gordon? Whatever state must the Scammell cab have been in?:)

Ill agree with you there..I served for 10 years and only took about 4 rolls of film!! I do regret that now but like you said it was all just part of the job!!

no he was a corporel he drove our caterpiller D8,i think it is a D8 you can just see it in one photo,he drove it through the mud hole wear i took the photo of my scammell 06-bd-36

the one with chains on. the D8 engine covered him in mud (he he).i am in the sentry box and on the motor cycles. gordon giles (norton1926)

Looks like the Mohne dam in the middle of the shots

Mohnedam.jpg

scan0005.jpg

mohne1.jpg

hi antar mike. yes it is the mohna dam we were passing and stopped for a break to have a look at it. I took another photo with some of the lads on it, unfortunately i deleted it by accident on the disc i sent to andy fowler. hope you liked the antar ones , especially the one showing the box for punctures on the trailer wheels. I towed one of the 1st conquerors to come into germany, from hamburg to our workshops in witten-annen near dortmund as it broke down on us but thats another story. we should have taken it to iserlohn. it is covered up as it eas the new secret self stabilising gun. I should have not taken these pictures ,as the m.ps and security police were confiscating all films from cameras. happy to answer any questions. (norton1926) gordon giles

It's interesting to see the WLF hidden in that bunch. I wonder if it was there for a specific lifting purpose, like a higher reach or heavier lift for particular jobs?
hi gordon m, yes it is a ward le france, and as you said used for higher and heavier lifts. i think it had a unusal gearchange 1st to 2nd then 3rd went to 4th position 4th went to 3rd position. we did not use it much only for practice same as the churchill a.r.v. and the caterpiller D9 and the diamond t .what happend to that is another story.gordon giles (norton 1926)

Excellent pics..thanks for posting. Anymore info on Unit, Location etc? I can see its BAOR just wondered where.

hi extrogg yes it was germany, 5 inf workshope r.e.m.e. witten-annen . nr dortmond.

b.a.o.r.14. it is pronounced vitten-annen.

....only for practice same as the churchill a.r.v. and the caterpiller D9 and the diamond t .what happend to that is another story.gordon giles (norton 1926)

Oh, you can't just leave a Diamond T and us 'up in the air like that' - spill the beans, Gordon!

How did you rate the Scammells in their day? Were the rear bogie tracks good at their job, or did they just dig bigger holes faster?

Oh, you can't just leave a Diamond T and us 'up in the air like that' - spill the beans, Gordon!

How did you rate the Scammells in their day? Were the rear bogie tracks good at their job, or did they just dig bigger holes faster?

ok then. the lads driving the diamond t went to out to bring a centurion tank in for repairs on the way back going down a hill he missed a gear and it run away got up a good speed. some of the lads jumped off. I was outriding that day on a matchless motor cycle, I turned saw it coming and shot up a cart track to get out of the way. The brave lad driving managed to stop it at the bottom of the hill. (he didnt need the toilet again that day;)). A few months later when it asw started up it just kept running full blast thay had to break the fule line to stop it quick. thay took it away as it was no good for heaver tanks.