The Rarest FV 432 In Civilian Hands?

robin craig

I believe they had a 432 that had been modified with everything apart from the engine and steering unit.

Seem to remember it was a trial run.. i.e. it had all the new extra Bulldog amour, modified hatches on the glacis plate etc.. but still had its K60.

James

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there a second modernised vehicle that had suffered an explosion at one stage?

On the subject of modern vehicles a Jackal frame was also disposed via Withams.

The Jackal frame was bought speculatively by a machinery dealer a mile from us (Gatwick). The owner wants to sell it on to someone who will build it up.

- MG

Guys , i visited Marcus Glenns establishment recently collecting some kit and spotted the 432 Bulldog in the workshop being dismanteld for cleaning and servicing. I can confirm it is indeed a Mk3 Bulldog, all the paper work on the vehicle relates to "Bulldog" better than that it is a Prototype with all the correct Bulldog parts (engine pack, gearbox, steering box and controls with the little handle bars not tillers and the foot brake) looks to be the same as the production run vehicles. SO does this now make it the only 432 in private hands that complys with road regs having the secondary braking ? The price is apparently £35,000 - having just spoken to a mate in the MOD Bulldog is going to be inservice for a while as yet so i dont think there is going to be a glut in the near futuer. Anyway here are some photos of the units out of the vehicle.

Photo1947web.jpg

Photo1951web.jpg

Photo1948web.jpg

I understand that the chances of this prototype vehicle staying in one piece are slim to nothing.

According to sources I have, the company that rebuilds the Bulldog gearboxes is looking to buy this one as a core for rebuilding. If so that will be the only item they will take. The hull will go for scrap in a heartbeat.

The cost of a new gearbox is way higher than what is being asked on the website, so either a collector will get a rare vehicle or it will evaporate.

Money talks, cash is King, history is nothing.

Someone should talk to the Tank Museum at Bovington ASAP and see if they can come up with the cash or its likely to be sold.

Failing that maybe we on HMVF should raid the coffee fund tin and buy it, Jack can chip in too, that way he will have a ride for Beltring!

Robin

• 1 year later...