Dangers of Biofuel.

Rick W

ive Not mentioned it before but has anybody tried hydraulic oil or even sump oil out of petrols in older diesels only the filters know the difference the engines dont

Edited by cosrec

In the early eighties we handled the long distance towing for the main Volvo Commercial Dealers near us. One of their customers was a now West Yorkshire based haulage company who ran a fleet of about 50 trucks. All Volvos and all less than 3 years old. Upon delivery from factory all oils in all the systems were drained and refilled with vegetable based products made by a refining company Called Oribis. after that if that truck broke down or had a failure we had the job of towing it back to the dealers in Hull regardless of were it was. The whole truck was stripped by the agents and measurements taken of wearing components in all systems. the truck was rebuilt and repaired and sent back out. All bills were paid by Oribis. It was a lucrative few years for us and the agents . One of the trucks rolled over in france and i towed it back the vehicle was declared a right off by the insurance. Oribis bought it of the insurance and paid our bill so that it it could have a final strip down and they didnt lose any data but i dont know what it all proved in the end. one was also towed back from scotch corner to Hull symtoms lost power ground to a halt stripped down rebuilt final verdict run out of fuel

Edited by cosrec

i know this thread is about bio fuels but to show how tolerant older diesels were of what fuel they had in them again in the 80s we had an other haulier who had four trucks who did weekly runs who met up with trucks coming back from the middle east. they went to the yougoslavia bulgarian turkish borders before they set of they where filled up with sump oil cooking oil anything available and given new filters. On the way back they ran on 1500 gallon belly tanks filled fitted to the trailers with the cheapest diesel they could get in the middle east the price of the 1500 gallons diesel was oftence less than the drivers who brought it to the borders had paid for crates of bottled water to see them through the journey. he never had a breakdown due to fuel

Biodiesel affects modern fuel injection equipment (FIE) as much as older equipment. I know the FIE side of the TD5 very well and they will run reasonably well on biodiesel. But it does depend on the quality of the fuel, how well it is looked after and there are still some units that will not like it. Using biodiesel at the moment is still very hit and miss. We need some definite standards for things like lubricity, density etc...... There is still a lot of work going on with the fuel companies and the FIE suppliers as well as the car/truck manufacturers.

Ed

I do get mad when I hear anyone speak about "saving the planet"!

The planet is quite safe, and will be long after the human race has annihilated itself. People who speak of saving the planet actually mean saving the human race, and we humans have amply demonstrated that we are too nihilistic to save ourselves - sooner or later we will die out as a race, it is inevitable and entirely natural; a mass extinction.

The planet will however still be going strong. Nothing we can do will destroy the planet. Probably nothing we can do will save the human race because we are too self-centred etc to do so. If we were serious about saving the human race, we would already have global population controls for starters.

Ultimately the planet will be burned up by the sun, and no amount of windfarms and biofuels will stop it happening. The Eurocrats will probably introduce legislation making it illegal for the sun to burn us up, but it will still happen.

Have a nice day!

The other thing about doing all this bio fuel thingy is it might help delay the inevitable exhaustion of 'affordable' real fuel - or has that day just about arrived?

I agree, either way we're stuffed. Best crack on with the restoration projects then :cool2:

I noted that, with the latest eruption of the Icelandic volcano no mention is ever made of the amount of CO2 that it is pumping out. When it blew recently there was a spate of stories in the media about how the CO2 output had wiped out all the savings our increased taxation had paid for. These stories stopped rather abruptly...

Wonder why?? :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

I noted that, with the latest eruption of the Icelandic volcano no mention is ever made of the amount of CO2 that it is pumping out. When it blew recently there was a spate of stories in the media about how the CO2 output had wiped out all the savings our increased taxation had paid for. These stories stopped rather abruptly...

Wonder why?? :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Your right there. Two eruptions in as many years. That's gotta have wiped out all the small savings we are trying to make.

Just to upset the applecart ( should that be the affle-vagen?) - I brew my own bio from waste cooking oil and have been running my TD5 Defender on it at 100% for about 16000m now. I do add about 1 gallon per tank full during temperatures below -5. It runs smoother, quieter and I have been asked at a set of lights for 'cod & chips twice' otherwise no side effects at all. Uses same amount of fuel but so much quieter. I would not run it on new cooking oil because that encourages further production of the oil.

I also have a friend who runs his 200Tdi on waste cooking oil. He takes it quite seriously, and uses additives as recommended. Last year he popped up to the War and Peace show, and on his way home phoned me complaining that his oil pressure light had come on, and that all his engine oil had "disappeared". Indeed nothing showed on his dipstick. He tipped some fresh in, which took ages to pour in, and seemed to overfill the sump, but not cure the lack of pressure!

Eventually having been towed to the workshop, further investigation revealed that his engine oil had turned to a fairly firm jelly, allowing it to hold shape when tipped out of the sump! It had "gone off" in the oilways, the pushrod tubes, the turbo oil pipe etc. It did run again for a while, but was never the same, and has since been replaced. Luckily 200Tdi engines aren't too expensive, or hard to find, but with all the hassle and time spent repairing the vehicle, along with the time spent collecting and refining the fuel, I'm not sure he's ahead of the game?

On the other side it does seem to go well on the waste oil, and I seem to sell him lots of oil filters and fuel filters this year!

Jules

Eventually having been towed to the workshop, further investigation revealed that his engine oil had turned to a fairly firm jelly, allowing it to hold shape when tipped out of the sump! It had "gone off" in the oilways, the pushrod tubes, the turbo oil pipe etc.

Many years ago, I had to deal with a nearly new diving cylinder compressor unit. The Petter diesel engine had siezed, I removed the sump after a lot of suction, it revealed a total mass of jelly as you describe. When I looked into it, the engine sump had been filled with the special compressor oil, because some wally had misread the instructions. Had never seen anything like it before.

When Ted Heath was in power and the fuel crisis Hit Britain is when hauliers started experimenting with fuels they discovered as long as the pumps could suck it up and it would go through the injectors and it went bang they could run on it. Older desiels still will hence the use of cooking oil sump oil parrafin etc. Back then haulage companys employed their own fitters and the price of reconditioning a few parts on the fuel system was outwieghed by the price they saved on fuel. since then things have changed but older diesels will still run on most flammable things you put in them with out ill effect. Not the same i know but i once did a little experiment and a leyland 680 with its stop pulled will start up on not only on easy start squirted in manifold but WD40 brake cleaner deoderant and virtually any thing else you spray out of a can including paint.

Alas things have developed since then modern diesels have got more technical and pump fuels seems to have got more toxic

I dont think the base products eg vegetable oils are a problem its the crap that people put into them to protect modern diesels that cause the problems

Reading the thread about sumps turning to jelly when i first started out as an apprentice we had a lot of minis 1100s coming in with big ends knocking gearboxes shot every one one it seemed when we stripped them was filled with what looked like frothy emulsified white jelly.

Not wanting to berate any oil companys but originally they had all run on Duckhams oil but the dealer who serviced them changed on to Castrol GTX. Dont know if it was all coincidence but both companies used to advertise the secret additives they used. Maybe they didnt work together

Oh buy the way before any asks why am i talking about lubricating oils as opposed to fuels tip it in you fuel tank if it goes through the filters engine wont know any difference

Edited by cosrec

I try and stick to colour coded containers for lawnmower , cement mixer etc. but have made the odd error.

I have noticed over the last few years that it can be harder to tell the difference between unleaded & DERV , pour some in a jam jar & look at it in good light - the final check for oilyness between fingers is not so easy now..

The two fuels do seem to be getting closer - is this because petrol multi-point injection and a modern diesel fueling system have so few differences ? Or is it just a minor tech point at a light -end cracker where at one time it was quite fixed - the % diesel /kero/petrol that could be drawn off ?

Oh buy the way before any asks why am i talking about lubricating oils as opposed to fuels tip it in you fuel tank if it goes through the filters engine wont know any difference

Indeed I have another mate who runs his Shogun on waste engine oil mixed 50/50 with diesel. It was all fine until he overdid the waste oil, making it smoky until warm, and also hard to start in the morning. He then tried to cure this and tipped in a gallon of thinners. This improved the starting and smoke, but then he found it wouldn't turn off! The thinners dis-agreed with the rubber stop solenoid plunger, basically dissolving it! Last time I saw him he'd been through 2 more plungers that week, and was clamping the fuel feed pipe to stop the engine. It made me laugh!

Jules