Military bicycles.

Rick W

Question

9 answers to this question

As Armourers, one of the MANY varied equipments we were responsible for in the Army.

Was also Bicycles. Apart from the Para Bikes that are well known to all.

The Bicycles. GS Mk IV & MK IVB, were the msot widely used throughout the Services.

The basic differences were: One was Hub braked at the rear by back peddling. & the other had conventional Rod operated brakes front & Rear.

We used to always have the 'Armourers shop Bike' (NO!, Not Her, she worked in the N.A.F.F.I. !) :D We would 'Source a frame' generally an old Civvy one from the local dump.

And then Indent for any componante we needed. Bicycles in general terms had parts & componants that were manufactured to pretty much similar dimentions. So we would indent for handle bars, grips, wheels & tyres, Levers, seats Etc Etc. Until, you had a pile of parts sufficient to assemble a complete bike. This would then be VERY distinctly painted so it would be VERY readily identifiable & prevent some light fingered Harry riding off on it!

The Bikes were riden daily, all over the camp & accross the Garrison area. Very usefull & well utilised for convinience. I believe now, only RMA Sandhurst has a large Bicycle pool where you can sign a bike out for getting around the large complex. All Bikes were postwar in Deep Bronze Green paint finish. Later examples ordered in direct from a well known British Bike maker. Later variants of these were cable operated brakes. ALL were all GLOSS Black. Hope this is of some small help to you?

Edited by ferretfixer

Who made the GS bikes, BSA?

I have a standard GS bicycle without the manufacturers plate (it's been removed), but it has 'Philips' marked where the pedals go. It's Gloss Green, so assume post-war, but it has the off-set carrier.

Also, anyone know how to date a bicycle from its frame number? Also, anyone know where I can get a 'Philips' logo plate?

Hi all

here is one of my recently purchased 1947 Mercury Roadster built in Birmingham and used as a barrack bike hard work pedalling and even harder to stop with the brakes :)

These cycles usually have the VEH serial number stamped on the frame stem below the saddle.

For info you may just have to search the cycle collectors forums to gleam the odd bit of info.

Wo2a, just check out your local carboot sale this is the most likley place to accquire an origonal

Ashley

PS anyone here have a carrier, kit, MK2 front (Lucas cyclo n010) ??

cycle feb 2011 001.jpg

Edited by ashley
spelling