Military Ambulance Gallery

Tony B

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was at the 60th as well. :D

It not 100% sure, but I think that is the OY X-Ray truck I helped rebuild in the late 1980's. It's looking neater now, but I think the giveaway is that the cab has been replaced with an OX cab, which we had to do as the original cab was toast.

The truck had been fitted with a huge roof rack and used to tour India and the middle east in the 60's / 70's, after which it stood in Edinburgh painted white for many years.

We had to re-sheet a lot of the body, easy enough, push the roof back up, replace the engine ( original had been left with the head off ) and the cab.

The distinctive thing about the OX cab is that the underpanel is cut back both sides to clear the fuel tanks, which were further forward on the OX cab, though when we got the OX cab is was mounted on an MW chassis.

It is possible it is an identical truck where a similar OX cab was fitted, I suppose.

Here are some pic´s of 74GJ38 doing some light offroad:D

She loves it and she´s having a very nice retirement here in Denmark.

Doing only 1500 km this last year, but enjoing every one of them:D

Getting a lot of attention and making people smile...

DSC_2878.jpg

DSC_2882.jpg

DSC_2881.jpg

Have a nice summer everyone and enjoy your ambulances;)

• 3 months later...

So I was up late last night looking for info on the Cadillac and Packard based street ambulances used state side by the U.S. Medical Dept. and base hospitals during the 30’s 40’s and 50’s.

While not shedding any new light on this subject for myself I found an interesting photo showing a ‘new’ 1942 caddy next to the old 34 panel.

I am now more interested in finding info on that 34. :-P

I did somehow manage to stumble upon an Australian photo archive with an International Harvester collection. Included in the collection were several delivery photos of military contract orders. http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/themes/3158/international-harvester-ih-collection?start=1. Also in the collection are D30 and K5 based trucks, and (my favorite) militarized D2 Utilities.

The captions for these say that these ambulances were for the RAAF.

D2 based 2 Stretcher Ambulance

D15 based 4 Stretcher Ambulance

3665932741_ec2e3113a0_o.jpg

410576_Large.jpg

406297_Large.jpg

411737_Large.jpg

411739_Large.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Humber 8cwt light ambulance, same chassis as the staff car. About 1,000 were built. It was, I think, a 2-stretcher ambulance with the bodywork built by Thrupp & Maberly.

Thanks for the extra info on the vehicle. I have never seen it out and about again, let's hope it's being looked after somewhere!

Scott

• 7 months later...
so i was up late last night looking for info on the cadillac and packard based street ambulances used state side by the u.s. Medical dept. And base hospitals during the 30’s 40’s and 50’s.

While not shedding any new light on this subject for myself i found an interesting photo showing a ‘new’ 1942 caddy next to the old 34 panel.

[attach=config]52719[/attach]

i am now more interested in finding info on that 34. :-p

i did somehow manage to stumble upon an australian photo archive with an international harvester collection. Included in the collection were several delivery photos of military contract orders. http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/themes/3158/international-harvester-ih-collection?start=1. Also in the collection are d30 and k5 based trucks, and (my favorite) militarized d2 utilities.

The captions for these say that these ambulances were for the raaf.

D2 based 2 stretcher ambulance

[attach=config]52720[/attach]

[attach=config]52721[/attach]

d15 based 4 stretcher ambulance

[attach=config]52722[/attach]

[attach=config]52723[/attach]

verry...verry ....niiiiiice !!

The '34 looks like it might be a Dodge KH series 1.5 ton 4 x 2.

I just happen to know someone in Texas who has a very good KH military dump truck project for sale, but only to the right person as so many people are rodding these things.

Gordon

Bild 238.jpg

This is a late model Dodge WC51 ambulance (note the red cross marking on the side of the rear body) belonging to the Brazilian Expeditionary Force (Força Expedicionária Brasileira-FEB) hospitaL unit. Photo was probably taken at the FEB hospital outside of Livorno, Italy.

My WC51 had this marking before it was shipped down to Holland for restoration. I still have to decide for a marking once it's done. But it will be of the FEB, that's for sure.

Goran N

• 3 weeks later...

ambu2.jpg

ambu1.jpg

one of our 101fc vehicles. we decided to save one by getting the equipment the previous owner kindly chucked away just before delivery of the vehicle.

it was camper converted for a year, when i got told it was a shame that vitrualy non existed in original set up.

it was a stupid idea, but a 3rd place price winner on our local oldtimer show.

parts where used from five other vehicles.

quite happy we done it.

cheers,

Arjan

Edited by .303fan
right picture this time..

thank you. we even had paint made to that green. i found a flake preserved under the wood that was made inside her. told the mixing guy there was 0.5% tolerance on paint shade difference and he delivered spot on. Beertender was given her name by uk customs, as we had 20+Grolsch cases in the rear ;) she will be driven from near Amsterdam to Kent via Dunkirk, to attend this war and peace. we are missing one stretcher, a compressor and some functioning electrics: temp gauge and fuel gauge. cheers, Arjan

This is the untouched version. You can se how well you've set your's up. The red cross on the radiator grill seems in British Service to have been confined to Bosnia. My old one has served there and still had traces of the cross on the wire.

001.jpg

• 1 month later...

And here it is, Tony!

Fresh new paint....

Took a couple of weeks to "grind" off old 10 layers of Green/black/sand:wow:

Cross on grill will be painted back on!

Its doing well by the way and have had A LOT of new parts installed including wiring harness..

Love it to bits:-)

IMG_1616.jpg

DSC_4837.jpg