Two for the price of one!

Hi folks.

Have been wanting to have a go at loading the Ward Lafrance on to the Foden since I got it last year.

Took the opportunity today!

I drove the Ward on to the bed so the front wheels were up and continued with the winch.

It would take a very brave man to attempt to drive it all the way on as you can't see where the rear wheels are and the room for error is very small.

WArdloading001.jpg

It's not just the Scammells that can make their axles do silly things you know!

WArdloading002.jpg

WArdloading003.jpg

I have another 2 ft at the headboard so it should be a more even load.

The height is 15ft 6 so a planned route will be the order of the day although if pushed I can drop the boom down.

Its hard to get the Ward loaded bang in the middle but I need to otherwise it doesn't sit right.

I shall have to practice but loading the Ward is definately a two man job.

Markheliops

Would it not be better backing it on keeping the front wheels well down the beavertail to keep the cab as low as possible, then lowering the Ward boom over the Foden cab resulting in lower overall height and no boom overhang ?

Would it not be better backing it on keeping the front wheels well down the beavertail to keep the cab as low as possible, then lowering the Ward boom over the Foden cab resulting in lower overall height and no boom overhang ?

Hi John.

I did think of putting the Ward on backwards and I shall try it at some point.

The problem is the room for error is small so putting it on backwards may prove a bit of a challenge.

The boom over-hang is not really an issue as the Brockhouse trailer will be behind the Foden so it won't effect anyone behind me.

The plus side to putting the ward on in reverse is it will be a damn sight easier getting it off again.

I shall let you know when I try it.

Markheliops

hi dont know what type of winch you have electric or hydaulic but if possible get your self a remote control for it. makes every job so much easier one man job. Line up truck winch and watch make any steering adjustments. If electric easy to fit if hydraulic still easy if its fitted right valve block. Also not trying to teach how to suck eggs but which ever way round you decide to load hang on to middle axle with winch six wheelers seem to take less effort from winch this way. Plus you dont get hook bound on winch before fully on

Edited by cosrec

hey mark

I will be loading my Foden next week with an M817 short wheelbase dump truck.

Will post piccies when done...you dont have any contacts for Foden parts for the cab do you. I am after interior bits blinds and better doors etc,...and a full manual would be excellent...

Mine has had a bigger engine the 305 and uprated turbo fitted to give about 340-350 bhp, but am told they have fitted heavy duty axles to the rear which I think is the reason for 50 mph top speed...instead of 65, very annoying...

Edited by paulob1

Hi John.

I did think of putting the Ward on backwards and I shall try it at some point.

Also weight distribution would be about ideal (not that it is anywhere near the Foden's capacity, but no doubt a smother ride will result!). Nice looking outfit.