MV longest in service

robin craig

Question

Allied to my hread of longest parts usage, I am starting this thread on longest service of an MV in any force worldwide.

My entry, what you didnt think I would start the thread without an entry did you, is a delivered in 1953 M100 trailer that I bought at auction yesterday and was used for the last few years as a training aide at the Canadian Airborne Centre being chucked out of aircraft and underslung to helos from what we can tell.

So that makes it a 58 year service life from 1953 to 2011 by my calculation.

It has a few wrinkles, as anythng with that many "air miles" has got, goodness knows how many drops it has made.

Anyhow, it is sold and will be delivered to its new owner tonight.

Pictures to follow tonight.

R

19 answers to this question

Sean,

your obviously waterlogged!

Yes, for the purposes of this exercise, my definition of VEHICLE is a machine or device self propelled or drawn that travels on land OR is water ie amphibious capable.

Ergo DUKW yes HMS Victory NO

Are you an ex bootneck or matlow by chance?

R

Not wishing to split hairs :D but could the 13 Pdrs be classed as a vehicle??

How about the lucas hydraulic brake light switch in the back of the master cylinder? Used on my PU and still used today with no changes apart from the stock number. PU is 37 dated and hydraulic brakes were around before then.

tim

How about the lucas hydraulic brake light switch in the back of the master cylinder? Used on my PU and still used today with no changes apart from the stock number. PU is 37 dated and hydraulic brakes were around before then.

tim

Tell you what fellas, i will wake up now and post this in the right thread :nut:

Steam power again.

In 1769, Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot designed and constructed the first working self-propelled vehicle for human travel. Perhaps best described as a power tricycle about the size of a small present-day bus, it had one wheel at the front under the boiler and two-cylinder steam engine, and two wheels at the back under the freight area. Called a fardier a vapeur (steam dray), it had a top speed that was slower than walking, about two miles per hour, even without factoring in that it needed to stop 4-6 times each hour to restock its water reservoir and allow the steam pressure to rebuild. A 1771 incident where the driver lost control and the cart ran into a wall is sometimes cited as the world's first automobile accident.

Cugnot's cart was intended to serve as a gun carriage for moving heavy artillery or up to four officers on the battlefield, but beyond a few prototypes it was never manufactured, due to a lack of interest by Louis XV's court. In 1801, Cugnot's steam-powered automobile was moved to France's Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers, where it has been on permanent display ever since.

a148.png

Inventors

Searc

This would be the first mechanised, non animal powered Military transport (aside from sailing ships).

Being still in existance must put it at the top of a list, but not that of currently still serving. (unless its still owned by the French military).

I have not found to date any information to say that it was ever tested towing guns of the time.

Doug

tim

in them days it was haha