44 Humber Scout restoration

lssah2025

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Niels :cool2:, Yes it is wrong, the wire cutters go there and a smatchet goes on the roof, I haven't had the opportunity to fix the roof holder for the smatchet. That is actually a WWI repro smatchet (US version) which is very similar to a Brit one, minus the correct carrier. I decided to throw it there,,,didn't have my wirecutters handy at the time.

• 2 months later...

Ok got into trying to fix some of the oil/transmission leaks, trouble shoot a hum when it was in neutral..

Graphite throw out bearing was cracked, replaced that and worked on the clutch. It had some play in the drive shaft, got into the transfer case and transmission (all of the bearings were blued and crappy), looks like it was ran without oil for a short period of time, so either the bearings were shat to begin with or someone forgot to put some oil in it when it was originally put back together, ran it like that, then put oil in it "not a happy camper", since when it was opened up, there was no metal shavings...to make more insult looks like they just decided to put back the crappy gears and sell it as restored. So Now I am looking for 2 transfer case gears, #5 and #16 transfer case parts for the HSC.

Info from plate F4

(5) wheel gear spur 23 teeth sliding

(16) wheel gear spur 41 teeth intermediate.

Wondering if these are still available? And if these were used in the Humber Heavy Utility, Super Snipe etc...

F%206.jpg

IMG_5014_JPG.jpg

IMG_5015_JPG.jpg

PL%20F%204.jpg

F%205.jpg

IMG_5035_JPG.jpg

IMG_5037_JPG.jpg

IMG_5038_JPG.jpg

IMG_5039_JPG.jpg

IMG_5040_JPG.jpg

Edited by lssah2025

Well after doing more research, I might be in luck, it appears that this gear is only used to engage the front prop shaft for 4WD, so best case scenario is until a proper replacement is found (or milled), I might be able to use a spacer instead of the gear and keep it 2WD. :nut: I don't think it will hurt the vehicle since 99.9% of the time it would not need its 4WD...

I have access to a Humber Box transfer case with gears anyone know if these are the same?

Edited by lssah2025

My HSC will soon be finished and will be for sale...after a 2 year restoration and over 1500 man hours... I have some new issues to work out and do some finish work.

Pics and video from the HSC MK II

http://www.warwheels.net/humberscoutcarINDEX.html (St. Louis, Mo.)

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Humber_Scout_Cars.pdf

Just replaced the throw out bearing and master cylinder...

Any definite answer if the Humber Box transfer case will work? ANYONE?

Lance

• 4 weeks later...
My HSC will soon be finished and will be for sale...after a 2 year restoration and over 1500 man hours... I have some new issues to work out and do some finish work.

Pics and video from the HSC MK II

http://www.warwheels.net/humberscoutcarINDEX.html (St. Louis, Mo.)

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Humber_Scout_Cars.pdf

Just replaced the throw out bearing and master cylinder...

Any definite answer if the Humber Box transfer case will work? ANYONE?

Lance

I'm new to the forum, and amazed at the time and effort put in to your scout car (probably loads of cash as well).

Anyway regarding your transfer case question according to a Heavy Utility parts list the gears are the same as your Scout Car.

The HU list has a different layout illustration and even give the gears a different description, but same part number.

Those gears are really shot!

best wishes

Andrew

• 6 months later...

OK little update, just finished redoing the cooling system, redid the radiator to make it look more like the original, just received all of the gauges back, now before everyone goes crazy, the man that did them, did them all with chrome bezels, even my AFV one !!!! so they will get a nice coat of dull flat black to go in the HSC. He did a helluva job on them though, all of them were rebuilt and painted by hand, picture of the old and new... Will get pics of the new radiator when it is back this week,,,,,

!B01VsO!BGk~$(KGrHqQOKm8Ew8+l3FdQBMcC+fdhhg~~_12.jpg

!C!CHSg!!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKjMEzJjNSMU!BNBh-7ldMQ~~_12.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!h4E1K-tS)34BN,km1u1N!~~_12.jpg

Pictures1101to1109%20069.jpg

Pictures1101to1109%20072.jpg

excellent work especially when you consider just how hard it is to find parts for british wartime armour in the uk never mind in the states. i take my hat off to you. although i do have one criticism with regard to the gauges, i believe they would look much better in my cromwell :-D

all the best

rick

No worries Rick, it has been a pain in the arse, trying to source parts, good thing I have friends and contacts overseas!!! I do have the other speedo if you need one for now, I can't remember if you sourced one yet.. I think I would look better in the Cromwell too...wanna trade? haha

Have to figure out my next insane restoration!!!! almost 3 years now and over 1500 man hours to restore something that was suppose to have been restored,, go figure...

i'm good mate but thanks for the offer.

as for your next resto why not make life a little easier on yourself and buy a t16 at least that way you've more chance of getting spares a little closer to home and i hear all the best collectors have them :-D

what ever you decide good luck with it

rick