MV Part longest usage

robin craig

Question

I was looking at a new (to me) book the other day, when I spied the horn on a Daimler Dingo.

If I am correct, that horn has not changed and was used in many vehicles over the years and is still in service in Stormers to this day.

Does that make it the longest usage of any Brit MV part?

Too qualify for this distinction, the part can not be a nut bolt or washer but a whole component ie a bracket or a light or an engine component that has been in service continuously from original fitment to a particular vehicle and then been used on others that are STILL in service today.

R

Edited by robin craig
clarification of part definition

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

All the parts listed in some way relate to electrical items which you would think would have been the first thing to be phased out.

A lot of the FV pattern electrical equipment is still in use. For example the convoy light Robin mentions can be found on an Austin Champ from the early 50s, through to Ferrets, Saracens, Saladins, FV432s, CVRTs, Trailers, and they are still fitted to Land Rover XDs built in 1997/8. The FV pattern headlamps are still in use on CVRTs, FV432s and other vehicles, as is the horn found on Champs and Ferrets etc.

A lot of the FV pattern electrical equipment is still in use. For example the convoy light Robin mentions can be found on an Austin Champ from the early 50s, through to Ferrets, Saracens, Saladins, FV432s, CVRTs, Trailers, and they are still fitted to Land Rover XDs built in 1997/8. The FV pattern headlamps are still in use on CVRTs, FV432s and other vehicles, as is the horn found on Champs and Ferrets etc.

Does any of the newest kit have any of the items above? Is the above only still around because of the length of service / numbers built.

Chris,

thanks for supporting the thread and me in my stupid quest! Have been waiting for your input since starting this, knew you would agree with me.

Tony, I'm sure not when the "current" slave / jump start units (pun not inteneded) were first used.

The first vehicle I can see with the horn fitted was the Daimler Dingo.

As fas as build dates Chris has nailed that for the Land Rovers and the Stormer was built around 1995.

What does Chally 2 use as a fire warning sound device?

R

Robin,

I'm not sure about the horn being used on Challenger 2, if one was fitted I would expect it to be inside somewhere.

In the mean time, here's your friend the convoy light, fitted to the back of a Warrior as a number plate lamp. What vehicle was this first used on?

Chris

45142204.jpg

I'm going to throw in more thoughts about mechanical parts. Lets try a for a standard part radiator, fan, or water pump. Two items in this area of an engine stand out though as being contenders; the radiator cap and even more so, a fan belt.

Doug

Ok........ :blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

How about this. The palm couplings and the replacement seals for the trailer air lines on my Diamond T's are still made/used today and are available at any commercial vehicle parts supplier. as are the prop shaft uj's, bearings and oil seals.

Damm. I just looked at first post and it said Brit vehicle parts......"Dohhhh"

Chances are the UJs are just standard Hooke's (Hardy Spicer) types though.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that there's a Hooke's joint which was in use well before WW2 which is still in use on a modern vehicle. Robin, would you count that as a complete unit or would it be too close to a nut / bolt?

Rad caps have changed over the years as they've standardised and pressures have got higher. Fan belts have changed too - typical A or B profiles back around WW2, now typically SpZ? Also is a fan belt too akin to a nut or bolt?

Edited by Sean N

Rad caps have changed over the years as they've standardised and pressures have got higher. Fan belts have changed too - typical A or B profiles back around WW2, now typically SpZ? Also is a fan belt too akin to a nut or bolt?

With my reference to a radiator cap I acknowledge changes have occurred. Non pressurized systems would be superseded by pressurized radiators in the 1940's. Caps now tend to be smaller , ( 1990's onwards). That would be a 50 year plus time span. Should larger caps still be about and used on particular applications the span lengthens.

Much the same with a fan belt, differing profiles over the recent years, and again the same part is applicable for different uses; ie as a drive belt on some other application.

So a belt as used on a 1930's vehicle could still have an application today. That would be a span of 70 years.

One aspect of MV parts not raised to date has been the role of parts in aircraft or of marine application. That then is another can of worms!

Doug

Good having the clarification as to what you are seeking.

I've gone off on a bit of a tangent therefore, but still it makes interesting research as to the life span use of some of these items.

Doug

the standard horn was even fitted to lancaster interiors, the guy that invented them must be loaded.

the interior light as mentioned earlier hasn't changed from ww2 and how about the 2 pin inspection light socket, that has also remained the same. i think the real challenge is to find something pre ww2. the trouble is not many of us have the kit to go and look at

eddy

Having done a little thinking my vote at the moment, triggered by Diamond T Steve, is the Hardy-Spicer 1300 universal joint, if that's allowable. Fitted in Landys as late as 2004 if not later, and I'm fairly sure they were used in Morrises and Bedfords back in the '30s (subject to proof as I'm not near my parts catalogues!)

Having done a little thinking my vote at the moment, triggered by Diamond T Steve, is the Hardy-Spicer 1300 universal joint, if that's allowable. Fitted in Landys as late as 2004 if not later, and I'm fairly sure they were used in Morrises and Bedfords back in the '30s (subject to proof as I'm not near my parts catalogues!)

With the same part number?

somehow i would like to say it is within bounds, but then we could say the same perhaps for a 24 volt headlight bulb as the bulb is a part of a complete headlight as the U joint is part of a complete shaft assembly.

So if you follow that far it kinda means its out of bounds as it is a sub component not a whole "part" as was the intent of the usage of the word "part"

Get my drift?

Sorry to spoil your endeavours

R

How about the red glass light lens? They have obviously been replaced by the plastic mushroom ones for exterior lights but are they still used as a visual fire warning indicator in current equipment?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42766[/ATTACH]

The glass lense may have changed in this item, but the rest was carried through and the mushroom lense was designed to simply screw into the bezel as a common part across all FV's and the like.

I would say this one is a strong contender!

Rover, if you are the seconder for the light then find out when first used and last production used, think you will find items like the horn go back to second war whereas that light doesnt. . .

R

Robin an exercise for the 'Snug' I think. Can't do it today and given the age of the horn I will quit on the light whilst I am far enough behind. ;)