432's Being scrapped in large numbers.

I learned today that the MOD are scrapping a large number of 432 ect APC's at E.M.R.'s in Kingsbury. Some have been described to me as looking like new. I'm not sure if I would not get into trouble if I post the location of the scrapping on here but it just seems to me to be such a waste.

Steve.....

Edited by diamond-t-steve

I have not seen it for myself but I got the info from a friend who is working there at the moment. If EMR purchased them from the MOD then it is worth giving them a ring as I have known them to sell parts from and even complete railway items that they have had in the past.

It would make sence that this is true. As we all know, the MOD have been selling large numbers of them via Withams but there is only so many that will find buyers before the market becomes flooded and with the price of scrap being what it is scrapping would be a more efficient means of disposal as far as the MOD is concerned.

Steve....

classed as firearms, so they cannot sell them, they have been given the once over by the MOD as there were a lot of rumours about selling goods that were not properly deactivated etc...I think selling them separately would mean they are just ornaments...I know its a pain but once you get used to Withams they are not that bad and they have a hell of a task...shame there isnt a second option though. Would make them a bit keener on pricing and help...

Knowing scrap companies I imagine the odd part may be available but it is quite common for large contracts to have a no resale clause these days. Most of the big car companies have this built into the scrap contracts, now and again the supplier will pop in and check that the parts are being 'put beyond use', i.e. chopped in half or having a sledge hammer put through the block etc... I've seen brand new 'faulty' Rover V8s piled five metres high awaiting the hydraulic knives and pallet loads of new SU HIF44s (in the boxes!) being tipped into the aluminum furnaces nr Wolverhampton.... that was back in 2000 mind...

The key was to have a core of untouched engines and cover them with the ones you had chopped in half, so it all looked ok during the visit... but that's another story!

Edited by ajmac

With the downsizing of DoD vehicle numbers will any CVRT vehicles be joining the FV 432's a E.M.R. ?

I will say that my friend on the inside is not up on MV types and described them to me as a tank without a turret, having a big door at the back and that more were turning up every day so my 432 description is a loose one....

Steve....

we have been in touch with EMR's head office there is no way of obtaining either vehicles or spares from said vehicles unfortunatly not even in quanity unless you want to buy an unprocessed 100 tonnes of scrap and hope the odd fv432 bit appears in it un touched

i would love to see some pics of them scrapping 432's out of interest.

Iain

Even before this there have been a hell of a lot coming up on milweb recently. Price crash in the not-too-distant? Then again the DVLA seem to have forgotten about their non-registration policy...

Stone

Even before this there have been a hell of a lot coming up on milweb recently. Price crash in the not-too-distant? Then again the DVLA seem to have forgotten about their non-registration policy...

Stone

I think it's already crashed!

i work in tamworth , and deal with emr on a weekly basis , many good looking 432"s have been in there yard being scrapped for a while , and yes they are compleate with smoke dischargers etc etc , i also know workers there , and youve got no chance of getting any parts , the deal with the mod is that they have to be destroyed , sad but true :-(

For the un-initiated, they ALL come from Withams or are under the control of Withams and it as previously stated has been going on for some time now. The last of the heavily pulicised 439s sold last year all finished up there and were chopped up. Believe it or not there are insufficient buyers to keep the value of 432s above scrap values, Withams do have to keep turning over the stock or there would be no more room in their yard, if they have to take on extra storage then they have to pay for it. The barely used track that has been sold recently on the auction site is all take off from these 432s scrapped at EMR.