Canvas life span

Johnh

Question

Well thought it was time to ask another daft question...well a few really:undecided: I have been tormented by the sight of a CCKW 353 stored out in the open very close to where I live (Thorne actually) just wondered how long the canvas would hold up, being left out over this past winter etc also what does 'banjo axle' mean ? seen it referred to many times but can't find the definition. I know I really want to get a Reo but....:red:

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Much the same as an M35, just a bit bigger and heavier. If you fancy an M35 or M54 try and get a drive in one or two of them , same for GMC, then you can make a choice. Just bear in mind that the jimmys are to my mind better technically and easier to maintain.

As regards canvas Jim and Martin at Allied will be able to do whatever you require and I would definitely recommend them.

Anybody have Start-up procedure for Reo M35a2 ? tried to drive the CCKW353 but would most likely need to have half a dozen spare gear boxes to get me through a year !!! Anyway looking promising for aquiring a Reo,have got the operator manual from Mark Askew,Inspectionprocedure checklist and other maintenance sheets etc, however need to find 'Start-up procedure' can anyone help ?:blush:

Well I lost out on the Reo,i didn't get my deposit down quick enough, unfortunately the death of a fine man, My Godfather,ex Yorks and Lancs Regiment, got in the way and I didn't get my cheque off quick enough

Oh well you live and learn !:cry:

Well further to the Thompson water seal debate, please,do any of you knowledgable folk have any feedback on the canvas proofer sold by Kerry Cheese on Milweb ? I know the Reo will be barn stored in winter however she will be standing next to the BARV on display through the summer and early autumn, although the canvas is relatively new I would still like to treat it and keep it in good condition:red:

Try your local saddler and ask for canvas New Zealand rug proofer, that will do it and not attack any leather fittings.

Many thanks Tony, calling in tomorow to order some !:-)

Try your local saddler and ask for canvas New Zealand rug proofer, that will do it and not attack any leather fittings.

So this rug proofer stuff, this is good for preserving canvas and leather, and also water proofing as well ? Is it obtainable in this country ?

We tried the flexalan brand, we've treated the tent we use on the gate on show days, canvas cocpit cover for the JP and with a bit left a sankey trailer cover ! Now i need to buy more to do my REO !!! Thanks Tony a brilliant product ! saved us a packet !:)

No. That is just a leather dressing. The canvas proofer is a diffrent formula. For exposed vehicle leather, most of which is known genrically known as Chrome Leather, I'd recommend is a red greasy stuff called Ko-Cho-lin. Mineral tan leather is normally a bluish grey colour, if you look at the side you should see three distinct bands, dark top and bottom with a lighter band in the middle. This stuff is stiffer than vegatable tan and waterproof. Lanolin has the property of softening leather, and most dressings will darken leather. Lanolin can cause skin reactions if you are using a lot of it. Ko-Cho-Lin is more of a protective cover over the leather, very good for laying up anything leather over long periods.

http://www.horseandmore.co.uk/Lincoln-Weather-Proofa-Universal.html

http://www.horseandmore.co.uk/product-detail.asp?Products_ID=5240

Edited by Tony B

Cannot Vouch for it's usage, as I have never done it myself. BUT, I know of two friends of Mine who wanted to waterproof thier canvas Tents.

They BOTH went to B&Q & bought some BRICKSEALER. Sprayed it on with one of those garden Pump up types of weedkiller plastic tank, & Brass 'Lance' assembly. Apparantly, they swear by it! NO rotting of the canvas & totally waterproof, so Im told.

One uses his 9x9 contstantly at the attendance of MANY shows. & it's still waterproof!

CHEAPER Alternative to dedicated canvas waterproofer, & it does the job.

Worth trying on small section of canvas & testing, Yes?.................

Cannot Vouch for it's usage, as I have never done it myself. BUT, I know of two friends of Mine who wanted to waterproof thier canvas Tents.

They BOTH went to B&Q & bought some BRICKSEALER.

So far the (Thomsons) bricksealer I painted (by brush) on my canvas tarp has lasted 2 years and I would very much recommend it as a (very) cheap way to restore the waterproof qualities of an old canvas tarp.

the one thing to be aware of is it makes the canvas very stiff so the canvas will no longer naturally sag if stretched over a gap or will not "mould" to the shape of the thing it is covering - ie it effectively converts the canvas into something more like a drumskin, but that said, the canvas will still be waterproof even if it is bent around a shape

Edited by john fox

Well, Thomson's Water seal has worked its magic on the old FFR canvas on my civvy truck! :-D

Now, how about the heavy cotton (I think?) straps used here and there, is there a product to anti-rot protect those?

On my old-old tilt, a couple of the straps came clean away in my hands when trying to tighten them up! :-(

Alec.

They BOTH went to B&Q & bought some BRICKSEALER. Sprayed it on with one of those garden Pump up types of weedkiller plastic tank, & Brass 'Lance' assembly. Apparantly, they swear by it! NO rotting of the canvas & totally waterproof, so Im told.

One uses his 9x9 contstantly at the attendance of MANY shows. & it's still waterproof!

CHEAPER Alternative to dedicated canvas waterproofer, & it does the job.

Worth trying on small section of canvas & testing, Yes?.................

I have always used it........... its works fine.

hi,

my truck has been stored outside & inside & half & half ( dutch barn). the canvas is about 7 years old & still waterproof. it hasn't faded that much either & is still quite thick & strong. at the rate it's going i'd expect it to last another 4-5 years before i need to start treating it.

Berni

Right Then ! now we have sorted that lot out, where is the best place to get replacement seat canvas from ? I nearly did me self a right mischief with a spring end coming through the old canvas !:red:

i didn't realise there were so many variants for the old Reo !