Germanic Britain

Mark

I read the book years ago called "SSGB" very interesting read on what life could have been like if the Germans had invaded and us won. Churchill and his government was in Scotland organising the resistance etc. I was just wondering if anyone else had read this book and any comments they had.

p.s. if you do have the book could I borrow it please. :-)

I started reading it, but didnt finish (i think i was about 11 at the time). I think i gave it to my parents, so will try to look it out as they never throw anything away.

From the little i remember of it, the blurb on the back said that the King was held in the tower of London and that Churchill had been hung from a lamp post. At 11 years old i found this a bit too disturbing and was one of the reasons i gave up on it.

In a similar vein, did you see the film "It happened here"?

Tim (too)

Iwas afraid that you would say that. Now we can unravel some more controversey.

Basically it is a film set during the 40's when Germany has gained control of the UK. It is however controlled by British Facists, BUF and British SS. The film took a great deal of time to film - about 15 years and seems to be a bit random in its plot. The plot does however revolve around a British nurse/ambulance driver (K2) who concerned about the disorder joins the British facists, then comes across atrocities and then gets recaptured by the British and American army who have reinvaded and captured Britian from Cornwall and Wales. Things i specifically remember is that this is the first film that i saw that had a JagdPanther in it (i presume that this is the one at Bovington as it did not have the bloody great hole cut in the side like the IWM one), British SS executing civilians, British nurses giving lethal injections to British Jews and then to cap it all a massacre of hundreds of British SS by British and American troops. Lots of controversy and time to reopen an old topic perhaps.

It also had a nice group (3?) of Schwimwagens and the SS were all wearing genuine SS uniforms. Probably the most famous bit was of a Luftwaffe band marching into Trafalgar Square and being attacked by a horde of bystanders. This was not staged. The Director did march a band into the square in German uniform and he then filmed them being attacked by the people standing there (the filming of this did start in the 50's remember).

It is a sod of a long film, and although i had it on video i think i recorded over it as it could not watch it a second time. It does come onto TV occasionally.

Questions from the audience?

Tim (too)

Well i cant find our copy of SSGB, but it might be in a box in my parents loft. I will take a look next time that i am down there. However i have found that i still have "It happened here" on VHS. I have just zipped through it and i got most of my facts right. The germans have just about left Britain to be controlled by Blackshirts and British SS while they go fight the Russians. Americans are dropping weapons to the British resistance and the SS are being SS like. Depressing, but it could well have happened just like that.

Tim (too)

• 3 weeks later...

I read SS-GB about 20 years ago. Read it once; underwhelmed; haven't read it again; don't feel the urge to; haven't even seen it squirrelled away on a bookshelf since (like any good book I ever read and reread .. and reread). Not Deighton's magnum opus by any stretch of the imagination.

I read the book years ago called "SSGB" very interesting read on what life could have been like if the Germans had invaded and us won. Churchill and his government was in Scotland organising the resistance etc. I was just wondering if anyone else had read this book and any comments they had.

p.s. if you do have the book could I borrow it please. :-)

I think I have this one indoors - somewhere! Do you still want to borrow a copy Mark????