CVR(T)s in Hong Kong

robin craig

A few years ago I was sent pictures of some CVRTs in a scrap yard in Hong Kong.

Sadly the pictures have evaporated and my contact has moved on so the link is lost.

Just thought I would put it out there and let others know.

R

They'll be rare pictures indeed. In 1976, after an 18-month tour of Omagh, B Sqn 15/19H were down on the Arms Plot to do Hong Kong Recce Sqn. Sadly the tour got pulled because it was decided that there was no longer a requirement for a Recce Sqn in Hong Kong and 1RTR, our predecessors, were the last regiment to provide a Hong Kong Recce Sqn. We had to make do with six months as UNFICYP Force Reserve Sqn instead.

Knowing how small Hong Kong is, and knowing the person that took them the pictures, they were 100% genuine. The person concerned came back from living there 3 years ago and the pictures were maybe at the most 2 years before that.

I am now on another Google satelite hunt.

R

There wasn't an armoured recce squadron in Hong Kong until 1967, when , due to the Chicoms acting up (Red Guard etc), B Sqn The Life Guards was detached from Singapore to Sek Kong, being co-located with 18RA and HQ 48 Bde. They became part of 48 (Gurkha Infantry) brigade. Then the equipment was Saladin and Ferret. I suppose that the requirement remained.

The Chinese had then on the Hong Kong border a pair of ancient BA-64 armoured cars. The PLA was then mainly a Light Infantry force.

There was a prepositioned equipment set for a "heavy metal" squadron in Wanchai (?), mainly Centurion.

Just so we are clear, for those who dont remember my "who is this guy" thread I have a memory for the most part like a steel trap and know my Brit MVs.

They were CVRTs and it was Hong Kong and was within the last 5-7 years.

Im not going to be swayed by anyone, I know what I saw and I will find them!

R

Okay, you two nay sayers are making me more determined than ever before.

Im going to prove you guys wrong but it may take time. . . .

R

I hope you aren't accusing me of saying there were no CVR(T)s in Hong Kong?

All I said was that in 1976 the independent Recce Sqn pulled out. Doesn't mean it didn't go back in later or that there was another source of the CVR(T)s you saw. Maybe for instance the resident Inf Bn Recce Troops had them, and that's what happened to the 1 RTR jobbies when they left, because the powers that be felt it was one less unit to administer by handing recce back to the other local units in Hong Kong.

My post was merely a gripe that I missed the chance to do Hong Kong.

I have learned from bitter experience that if there is a chance I am wrong, I usually am.

• 7 months later...

Well, Once again I am proven correct after the passage of time!

Thank you so much for validating what I posted, I knew I was not a complete loony tune!

Dean-Paul could you please send me your email by private message please?

Robin

Edited by robin craig

I live in Hong Kong and bought some of these vehicles.

The armor cannot be exported or sold....its kind of in limbo.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150194995185034.444434.610465033&type=1&l=7098f8bfa5

Nice piccies...... I love Land Rover Lightweights. Looks like I need to get to Hong Kong more often

The junkyards here have some weird stuff also http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.114607166773.117640.614321773&type=1&l=0a8f336694

I don't know if this helps but the 16th / 5th Lancers history, 'The Scarlet Lancers', has a photo of a Centurion in Hong Kong in 1964 and what looks like a Squadron of CVR (T) Scorpions parading through Kowloon, Hong Kong, in 1973 /4 (the only reg number visible being 02 FD 57 - is it still around?).

Can we find out the reg number of the Ferret in the Hong Kong 'collection'? Were 432s really ever based there?

Can we find out the reg number of the Ferret in the Hong Kong 'collection'? Were 432s really ever based there?

Peter, You took the words right out of my mouth :-)

Looks like there are a few ferrets there, Mk 2's and Mk 1/2's

Matt

There is a Scorpion here somewhere. i think he has another lot. I have rescued as much as i could and I was helped by the fact that most cannot be road registered (yet). I plan to lobby for a Historical Vehicle category in the near future. i think it is possible. In the meantime, we use mechanics plates when we take them on the road. The Rovers are all legal, except for the fire truck, the 110 ambulance and the 101 ambulance.

The second link somebody posted is clearly in Malaysia. As far as serial numbers for ferrets, I think I could get three if I knew where to find them. One ferret is on display at the museum of coastal defense here in Hong Kong and I think there are two in the salvage yard. Please provide some insight.

• 4 months later...

Tim,

Yes indeed I do feel good about it all, the other gent who popped up on this thread had already confirmed ther existence but I do like to prove a pint at times!

Where it is now I don't know.

I was spending some time online over the weekend and gleaned the fact that Jordan has slowly been acquiring CVRTs and some of them came from the ex Belgian vehicles, someone made more than a tenner on them me thinks;), nice little earner as Arthur would have said!

I would love to see a ful list of all CVRT variants made and their ARNs as I have pictures of a whack of them archived from various places.

R