Borden REME Reserve Collection

antar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the conqueror ARV from the collection. It is on John Atlee's girder trailer behind his Antar. The Conqueror is in the shed currently with the winch out on the floor for some repairs. The girder trailer was outside but no sight of the Antar, I forgot to ask Roger where it was.

That is the conqueror ARV from the collection. It is on John Atlee's girder trailer behind his Antar. The Conqueror is in the shed currently with the winch out on the floor for some repairs. The girder trailer was outside but no sight of the Antar, I forgot to ask Roger where it was.

Yes it was having an engine change ??? or winch engine and a new fuel tank when i was there a few months back, and yes I know the Antar is Atlee's as I was the one who took the photos.. That was A F#####g nitemere that trailer, always took days to go anywhere....

The "Conq in the hole" I was referring to was a gun tank out on the slab at the bottom of a 60 degree incline.

It was a set piece recovery task that required two Cent Arvs (in my day) doing a 3;1 compound pull to drag it up the slope. Once at the top it was chocked, all the tackle stowed away & then it was nosed back over the edge with a nosing prop & allowed to fly back to the bottom under gravity. Quite an impressive sight as it would be doing one hell of a speed when it reached the bottom.

There were photographs of each recovery course doing the same job in the corridor outside the radio training room in the top shed at TTA. (next to the room with the toy ARVs & miles of string where you learned what a 2;1 & 3;1 pull looked like)

The recovery Guru in our day was a bloke called Sgt Bohanna....he was the guy who had quite a bit of input into the restoration of the Sherman BARV gate guard that stood just outside the guard room of the barracks next door to TTA.

H (327 Recy Mech 1972)

• 2 weeks later...
What was that yellow Land Rover, never seen it before?

It was one of the taxis from the film " Judge Dredd " with Sly Stalone, when they started making the film they wanted to use a company which they thought would still be going that far in to the future........... Based on 101 chassis with a fibreglass shell over it to look like what you see in the above pic not at all trimmed out inside very very basic, although there were various specs for the film.

It was one of the taxis from the film " Judge Dredd " with Sly Stalone, when they started making the film they wanted to use a company which they thought would still be going that far in to the future........... Based on 101 chassis with a fibreglass shell over it to look like what you see in the above pic not at all trimmed out inside very very basic, although there were various specs for the film.

AH, got it .

Thanks for the info. :kiss:

well as promised, some photo's i finally dug them out.

these were taken on different occasions when i was down there on courses.

enjoy, i will keep them coming as i scan and upload.

cheers

shaun

the land rover lama

the amphibious rover (i believe now with phill at dunsfold, restored, and what a top job)

and the agri rover.

agri rover.jpg

amphi rover.jpg

lama.jpg

Rosie said

It was one of the taxis from the film " Judge Dredd " with Sly Stalone.....Based on 101 chassis

I went to dunsfold one time and saw a whole row of brand new drivable 101 chassis lined up outside... trying to remember if they were waiting for bodies to be fitted or had just had them removed.

I seem to remember a photo of this, I will have a look....

Regards rog8811

Things seem a little strange as i posted a load more photos earlier and now they have gone:embarrassed::blush: so here goes again

BordonVisitJuly201015.jpg

BordonVisitJuly201017.jpg

BordonVisitJuly201021.jpg

BordonVisitJuly20104.jpg

BordonVisitJuly20102.jpg

BordonVisitJuly201046.jpg

BordonVisitJuly201047.jpg

BordonVisitJuly201048.jpg

BordonVisitJuly201049.jpg

BordonVisitJuly20105.jpg

BordonVisitJuly201050.jpg

BordonVisitJuly201051.jpg

BordonVisitJuly201052.jpg

BordonVisitJuly201054.jpg

BordonVisitJuly201055.jpg

IMG_8129.jpg

IMG_8130.jpg

Bordonfodencollection003.jpg

Wonderful pictures, the V8 Centaur is a gem, anyone know when its going to get restored?

R

There was talk of leaving it as is! It came back from the Gulf a few years ago(Iraq I think) loads of bullet holes in it:shocked: But I'm sure it could be restored.

the 432 might be an experimental hydraulic steering testbed as the usual manual tiller bars have been replaced by a much smaller setup and the steering box assembly in the front of the hull is nothing like the normal one, but it's only my thoughts on what it could be.

eddy

the 432 might be an experimental hydraulic steering testbed as the usual manual tiller bars have been replaced by a much smaller setup and the steering box assembly in the front of the hull is nothing like the normal one, but it's only my thoughts on what it could be.

eddy

It's an FV432 Mk 3, with the Cummins engine and new gearbox/steering setup. This engine is not too noisy without the exhaust silencer, there isn't a silencer fitted to the CVRT with this engine.

It's an FV432 Mk 3, with the Cummins engine and new gearbox/steering setup. This engine is not too noisy without the exhaust silencer, there isn't a silencer fitted to the CVRT with this engine.

Chris, thats interesting. I only worked on MKI's in Canada & MkII's In B.A.O.R. They certainly were noisey Buggers, even WITH the silencer on! I assume this is the life extention package for 432's (Bulldog)? I see the steering unit is totally different also. Are these more reliable? The original ones used to almost boil the oil, they got so hot! The K60 was OK if the vehicle was used regularly. BUT, in most units they stood on the vehicle parks or in hangers for months before the whole unit deployed on Major FTX's. The first week, we were contstantly getting Radio calls for recovery/repair asistance. Once all the bugs in the units had been ironed out after the first weeks driving. They ALL seemed to settle down again & were very reliable. Of course, at ENDEX & all the vehicles returned to Barracks & parked up. They sat again for months before being driven very far. And the next excercise, yep, they were breaking down again!.....:cry:

thanks for the explanation and the pics, i always thought the mk2 was a belting bit of kit but the new one looks even better, i might have one when they start to come through withams:cool2:

eddy

ps. there's nothing like the smell from a well cooked steering box !

thanks for the explanation and the pics, i always thought the mk2 was a belting bit of kit but the new one looks even better, i might have one when they start to come through withams:cool2:

eddy

ps. there's nothing like the smell from a well cooked steering box !

Yep, we used to put a messtin on them & cook in it!..:-D you had to wait Hours sometimes to let one cool down enough to be able to effect a repair! :-X