New Ferret owner questions

Rick W

After having the Ferret for a few days the first of many questions. May seem bleedin' obvious to some but I have to ask.

When starting up, obviously it needs to warm up. How long does it need to warm up for? Do you need to apply the choke to raise the revs, from what I agther the manual says not to use choke/ engine speed from start up. I have let the engine tick over for about 5 minutes, but even then, its very spluttery.

If you are leaving it unmoved for the winter period how do you keep the batteries charged up? Do you take them out? Or do you have an ingenious way of charging them and keeping them topped up in the vehicle?

There is a brass looking tap at the rear of the compartment. Is that fuel/oil shut off?

If you fit Jolley Electronic ignition the spluttering nonsense will diminish along with much easier starting and better fuel consumption (cost over £200 though :shocked:)

We use a 12/24volt battery charger off ebay fitted with an Ammeter to a 110v yellow plug and socket into an intervehicle charger starter plug and a long lead using mains cable which is ok for about 10 amps charging current. When the ammmeter drops back its time to disconnect the charger, unless of course the charger is an automatic float charger.

Suspect the brass tap maybe the reserve/main petrol tank tap ?

If you do leave it unmoved in the next few months jack it up off the tyres.

Diana and Jackie

After having the Ferret for a few days the first of many questions. May seem bleedin' obvious to some but I have to ask.

When starting up, obviously it needs to warm up. How long does it need to warm up for? Do you need to apply the choke to raise the revs, from what I agther the manual says not to use choke/ engine speed from start up. I have let the engine tick over for about 5 minutes, but even then, its very spluttery.

If you are leaving it unmoved for the winter period how do you keep the batteries charged up? Do you take them out? Or do you have an ingenious way of charging them and keeping them topped up in the vehicle?

There is a brass looking tap at the rear of the compartment. Is that fuel/oil shut off?

Brass thingy ma jig is the change over tap which can be moved to take fuel from either side of the saddle tank. One side is supposedly the reserve side I'll leave you to decide which one its supposed to be its been argued to death before now on other forums.

If it hasn't already had a battery cut of switch fitted fit one to the the battery box with the air filter above it (can't remember if it goes on the positive or the negative at the moment).

You can also charge the batteries through the inter start slave socket with a trickle charger or charge each battery individually out of the vehicle with two 12v trickle chargers.

Another way of charging them is to fit the trickle charger connections permantly to the battery terminals just leaving the plugs showing for easy connecting up (makes life easier the air filter is a b to get off and its full of oil).

Mine doesn't splutter and it hasn't got a jolly electronic ignition kit on it check the usual things points, plugs, condensor and then the carb one of the diaphragms in the carb might be U/S

Edited by ferrettkitt

Brass thingy ma jig is the change over tap which can be moved to take fuel from either side of the saddle tank. One side is supposedly the reserve side I'll leave you to decide which one its supposed to be its been argued to death before now on other forums.

If it hasn't already had a battery cut of switch fitted fit one to the the battery box with the air filter above it (can't remember if it goes on the positive or the negative at the moment).

You can also charge the batteries through the inter start slave socket with a trickle charger or charge each battery individually out of the vehicle with two 12v trickle chargers.

Another way of charging them is to fit the trickle charger connections permantly to the battery terminals just leaving the plugs showing for easy connecting up (makes life easier the air filter is a b to get off and its full of oil).

Mine doesn't splutter and it hasn't got a jolly electronic ignition kit on it check the usual things points, plugs, condensor and then the carb one of the diaphragms in the carb might be U/S

I thought it would be the fuel cut off. The guage reads 1/2 although looking onto the tanks it seems quite full. So it cuts in the reserve tank? Is there any way of finding out? How do you know on yours?

Battery cut off switch seems a good idea, although if left standing for the winter the batteries will go flat. Inter start slave socket, where will I find that? I think Mike fitted a new carb on it, though thats not to say the rubber on the diaphragms wont be perished, will check them.

Thanks

Hi

One side of the fuel tank is slightly deeper than the other side and so holds a bit more petrol (Right side if you stand at the back of the vehicle, looking forward) That's the reserve.

If you really want, you can trace the fuel lines to the selector switch to work out which side the selector is set to draw from. Sometimes, if you are lucky there will be painted signs on the metal (Not that I've ever seen any!)

Join the ferret heaven mailing list in Yahoo and there are several good sites on the web.

Including (but not limited to): (These are just the three I remember off the top of my head)

http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/

http://www.sirhc.co.uk

http://ferret-afv.org/

Edited by Toner

If the image comes out it should show the petrol feed from each side of the tank. I have an idea that you're Ferret has a later petrol tank from the MK4 or 5 Ferret as the fuel is collected from the top of the tank. If thats the case I suspect that it has pipes that collect fuel from either side of the tank internally. Thats just a guess on my part. If you set the handle to the middle no fuel will flow so you have a fuel cut off if need be.

petrol_tank.JPG

I've forgotten the name of the petrol tank sender but that tends to be a common fault on Ferrets Champs and the like. Fill the tank up as well it stops condensation rusting the interior of the petrol tank.

The inter start box is the same as the one on the Champ the one with the two pin light plug.

Look for air leaks as well inlet and exhaust quite a few running problems have been caused by badly fitting exhaust manifolds

Edited by ferrettkitt

Welcome to ferret ownership Rick :-)

Have a manual in one hand and a roll of AF spanners and a multimeter in the other :D

There are PLENTY of manuals available on andys site and on ferret heaven. I recommend download - print - read!

Have plentiful supplies of ink in :-)

Above all - armour that fits in the garage!!...... They are great!!! Good tidings compadre! Enjoy!

Cheers :D

MT

in this weather u can pull choke out to first position then start it soon as it starts push choke back in and set revs with hand throttle set revs with pedal, unscrew hand throttle to lock position bout 800 rpm run eng 3 mins stop it and check oil level dry sump system .warm weather from cold 3 pump of acc pedal then start it mine sputters a bit in this weather when cold after 10mins ish she purrs ! regards batt run it for half a hour every week should keep batts good make sure int lights are in fully off position park it with hanbrake off just chocked , before driving with eng off go thru 1 gear to 5, depress gear selector pedal 10 times in each gear to set freeplay and finally gear selector pedal is either fully down or right up do not slip it !. and all ferrets leak from exhaust tubes !!:D and u can tell with your hand when thermstat open , hand held over rad outlet , cold weather on a run will take at the least ten miles berore u can feel gearbox oils etc are up to temp before that they can feel v sluggish

Edited by griff66

Thanks all. Ive been looking for the hand throttle, but cant seem to locate it.

The hand throttle should be mounted just beneath the speedo body on the left hand side.

It should look something like this but probably silver by now hope that helps

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NOS-HAND-THROTTLE-CABLE-MILITARY-FERRET-SCOUT-CAR-/120651232474?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item1c175fb4da#ht_518wt_905

being a bit sad now!:D taken from workshop manual for b range petrol engines , solex type 40 nnip carb as fitted to my ferret at least has a choke, where the choke cable fixes to carb underneath cover plate which has solex embossed on it there is a choke starter valve cover, a choke air valve and a choke starter valve. agree in user hand book it refers to choke as a starter device . but its a choke ,all down to semantics!:D dont think i am missing point!

Edited by griff66

being a bit sad now!:D taken from workshop manual for b range petrol engines , solex type 40 nnip carb as fitted to my ferret at least has a choke, where the choke cable fixes to carb underneath cover plate which has solex embossed on it there is a choke starter valve cover, a choke air valve and a choke starter valve. agree in user hand book it refers to choke as a starter device . but its a choke ,all down to semantics!:D dont think i am missing point!

It doesn't refer to it as a "choke" because it's not one, a choke supplies a richer mixture by closing and "choking off" the carb's air supply.

The starting device supplies a richer mixture by other means, it dose not "Choke" the carb..

Edited by Marmite!!