newbe here

martin parke

hi folks im martin im from derry city in northern ireland, i have just bought a humber flying pig and i am hoping to get it up and running again, i seen many off these in action growing up in northern ireland and have been facinated with them all my life. i know absolutely nothing about them (starting and running etc..) i would also like to find out its past military history if possible. all help welcome please.. heres a few pics :-)

IMAG0108.jpg?t=1290356908

IMAG0107.jpg?t=1290356908

IMAG0106.jpg?t=1290356908

IMAG0105.jpg?t=1290356908

IMAG0104.jpg?t=1290356908

IMAG0105.jpg

Martin welcome. Assuming that the number displayed is correct, the basic history is below. It is worth checking that the number displayed is the same number on the chassis plate. This you will find by shoving your head in front of the near side front wheel & with a strong light reading the brass plate.

Sometimes the number displayed is incorrect, because the plate is missing or the owner doesn't know where to look or it is assumed it has been marked up correctly by the previous owner who lets it adopt the number of a similar vehicle he has seen in a picture.

I'm afraid I don't have a picture of yours the nearest I have is 26 BK 78 & 26 BK 88.

26 BK 80

Serial No. 32680

Built as FV1602

Contract No. 6/V/27210

Engine No. 8630

Date in Service 2/12/54

Delivered to 31st ‘B’ Vehicle Depot Church Broughton

Receipt Voucher CBR/R/22271/171

Built as Pig FV1612 during 1958-60

Struck off BAOR 19/6/69

Recovered to 38 Central Workshops 18/10/72

Between 18/10/72 – June 1973 made into Mk 2 as a FV1611

‘Flying Pig’ conversions introduced Jan.1976 although yours are the later type.

Struck off 14/4/93 (Difficult to read the day & month)

From what I can see looks pretty complete. One comment I would make is to remove the Union Flag sticker as it destroys the authenticity. I say that not as a political point but they were not to be used in NI. I think the population were only to aware who operated these vehicles, but they were originally intended for nation identification when two or more NATO countries were operating in a theatre. In any case the rear sticker should in general be on the left side of the vehicle, although the Mk 1 Pigs in BAOR the Flag was usually placed centrally above the doors close to the roof apex.

I'm sure you will find quite a few Humbery people here.

Martin welcome. Assuming that the number displayed is correct, the basic history is below. It is worth checking that the number displayed is the same number on the chassis plate. This you will find by shoving your head in front of the near side front wheel & with a strong light reading the brass plate.

Sometimes the number displayed is incorrect, because the plate is missing or the owner doesn't know where to look or it is assumed it has been marked up correctly by the previous owner who lets it adopt the number of a similar vehicle he has seen in a picture.

I'm afraid I don't have a picture of yours the nearest I have is 26 BK 78 & 26 BK 88.

26 BK 80

Serial No. 32680

Built as FV1602

Contract No. 6/V/27210

Engine No. 8630

Date in Service 2/12/54

Delivered to 31st ‘B’ Vehicle Depot Church Broughton

Receipt Voucher CBR/R/22271/171

Built as Pig FV1612 during 1958-60

Struck off BAOR 19/6/69

Recovered to 38 Central Workshops 18/10/72

Between 18/10/72 – June 1973 made into Mk 2 as a FV1611

‘Flying Pig’ conversions introduced Jan.1976 although yours are the later type.

Struck off 14/4/93 (Difficult to read the day & month)

From what I can see looks pretty complete. One comment I would make is to remove the Union Flag sticker as it destroys the authenticity. I say that not as a political point but they were not to be used in NI. I think the population were only to aware who operated these vehicles, but they were originally intended for nation identification when two or more NATO countries were operating in a theatre. In any case the rear sticker should in general be on the left side of the vehicle, although the Mk 1 Pigs in BAOR the Flag was usually placed centrally above the doors close to the roof apex.

I'm sure you will find quite a few Humbery people here.

firstly thanks all for the welcome :-) and clive thats fantastic info i must check the plate out to verify the number. from what ive found so far in pictures from two previous owners the number was the same. i thought the flag looked outta place as i never remembered seeing them on the pigs. looking forward to bending a few ears on here looking for help getting her running and looking good tks again

Just like this

IMAG0089.jpg

Martin, very interesting. I might have seemed rather cynical but I have seen so many Humbers displaying the incorrect ERM.

That can be if the chassis plate is missing & an identity chosen. Or less suspicious where it is chosen because a previous owner didn't know where to look for the chassis plate. Although one would hope in the process of maintenance it would be stumbled upon. But it is perfectly understandable to assume the displayed ERM is correct.

I've not got a picture of 32 BK 35 only 32 BK 53 I'm afraid. I'll do the history but that takes over half an hour digging & cross-referencing. So it might be tomorrow.

32 BK 35

Serial No. 33235

FV1602

Engine No. 8809

Contract No. 6/V/2710

Delivered to 31st B Vehicle Depot Church Broughton

Receipt Voucher No. CBR/R/464

DIS: 10/6/55

Conversion to FFW Pig FV1612 sometime 1959-60

Conversion to Mk 2 sometime Sept 1972-June 1973

Noted as Flying on record card but not recorded on ledger

Struck Off: Vehicle Storage Depot NI 24/6/93 then cancelled

Struck Off: Birds(?) Comms(?) Whitaly(?) 6/10/94 (difficult to read handwriting on ledger)

32 BK 35

Serial No. 33235

FV1602

Engine No. 8809

Contract No. 6/V/2710

Delivered to 31st B Vehicle Depot Church Broughton

Receipt Voucher No. CBR/R/464

DIS: 10/6/55

Conversion to FFW Pig FV1612 sometime 1959-60

Conversion to Mk 2 sometime Sept 1972-June 1973

Noted as Flying on record card but not recorded on ledger

Struck Off: Vehicle Storage Depot NI 24/6/93 then cancelled

Struck Off: Birds(?) Comms(?) Whitaly(?) 6/10/94 (difficult to read handwriting on ledger)

cheers clive thanks a lot m8 for your help :-):-):-)... thats a great start for me now in tracing its military service here... hopefully i'll find out who used it and where...