When is a book a "Manual" & when is it a "Publication"?

fv1609

Some while ago I posted this on another forum, never got an answer. Anyone here got any ideas?

Browsing through a FSPB 1926, the amendments are coded 26/Manuals/554 yet

the original book is coded 26/Publications/163. Why are they codified in

different ways?

The other thing is most 26/ books I have are 26/GS Publications although a

lesser number are just 26/Publications, although the subjects covered are often

similar. Is it just slackness omitting "GS"? It can't be a date issue as I have

many books of various ages that use either designation.

You're very kind, but not so much an 'expert' but more 'has a special interest in'.

The above system predates the more familiar WO Code which then became Army Code. This system I am interested it was introduced by the WO in 1917 as a format for classifying subjects in publications & communications.

There were 122 subject codes, ranging from 0 to 120. There were a few subjects relating to barrack fortifications that prefixed the name of the station in front of 13 certain numbers in the range 1 to 25.

All of these registry series could have sub-headings from 1 to 120 although not all of those numbers were allocated. This system was a simplification(!) of the earlier system that used large blocks of up to 5 digits instead of the up to 3 digit system eg

The ‘new’ 1917 system

24 Medical

29 King’s Bodyguard

51 Camps, manoeuvres etc

Previous system

Medical 24, 4830-4833, 4847, 4864

King’s Bodyguard 5100, 40228, 61003-61005, 61038

Camps, manoeuvres etc 4839, 7614, 61061

So the 1917 system was actually an improvement! The later WO Code than slid over into Army Code is easier to catalogue but no easier to understand in terms of its structure. It appears random in that you can have pamphlets on sexual health in a block that contains vehicle user handbooks, parts lists, stores catalogues etc. But there is an overall number block allocation although that is not immediately obvious!

In 1978 (& then improved in 1982) NATO adopted a subject indicator system called NASIS. This comprises a letter-digit-letter system which covers a wide range subjects so that there is no confusion & communications can be allocated to the correct subjects. Rather surprisingly NASIS is UNCLASSIFIED.

• 2 months later...

Good question, to which I cannot even begin to even guess at the answer. When in the Sea King IPT, the Aircraft Maintenance Manual and the Aircraft Repair Manual, were both Publications with AP numbers. You demanded by the AP number and for assistance gave the title.

Well, in answer to Clive's original post, concerning military books. A manual is usually a book telling you how to do a task, not just for vehicles, but covering anything. Not all books produced for the military would have been "how to" types, so they would be Publications as a general term.

The Americans call their books concerned with engineering matters, TM, meaning Technical Manual.

Yes publications don't have to be just books. Indeed I have some Army Coded Publications that are CDs, DVDs, leaflets, pamphlets, aide memoirs & posters.

But the original query was the way in which the 1917 WO Code system flipped between 26/Manuals/xxx & 26/GS Publications/xxx & 26/Publications/xxx

So its a 'Publication' because it is printed the act of making information or stories available to people in a printed form

Manual (Noun) a book which gives you practical instructions on how to do something or how to use something, such as a machine

Edited by Tony B