Whats on your FV430 V5?

Sidewinder

Right, I know some people say it can't be done and others say it can, so in the next few weeks I'm going to go to the local DVLA office in Peterborough to try and register my FV439 to find out either way... afterall the worst they can do is say no and I've wasted a few hours.

The key things seem to be trying to get it classed as a 'Special Mobile Unit' rather than a tracked vehicle and putting as little information as possible on the V55/5 which I'm currently filling in, so for people who have got a FV430 road registered whats on your V5?

Key area's I'm wondering about are number of seats, Type of body/Vehicle, but any information would be appreciated.

Either way whatever happens I will let people know, fingers crossed!

James

Mine says:

Make: GKN FV432

Body type: Special Purpose

Taxation class: Historic

Cylinder capacity: 6500cc

Type of Fuel: Heavy Oil

Number of seats including driver: 10

Wheelplan: Crawler

VIN/Chassis/Frame number: 08EA21

Engine Number: Not Known

Colour: Green

All other fields are blank.

I hope that helps!

Andy

Believe it or not -

Mine stated:

Make - GKN Sankey

Body type - Light 4 x 4 Utility

Taxation Class - Historic

Type of Fuel - Heavy Oil

Number of seats inc driver - 12

Wheel plan - Non Standard

Type Approval Number - Exempt

Colur - Green and Black

No idea how the body type was listed as Light 4 x 4 Utility - but it was as I have just checked a scan of the V5.

Markheliops

I have tried registering a stormer . I am now on my second visit from dvla its also been sent to the dft . I think they dont want to register it but are struggling for an excuse .

I also want to register a 434 . are there any width excemtions for recovery vehicles

Leave as much blank as possible and stare blankly at the wall when handing it over

I think that definitely seems to be the main thing, fill in as little as possible, ask no questions, answer any questions as briefly as possible. Guess at the end of the day it all boils down to the person on the other side of the counter and how well they know they system.

Thanks for all the answers/info, will try and get an afternoon off in the next week or so and give it ago..

Only remaining thing I'm not sure about is a question on the last page: "Is the vehicle exempt from Type Approval? If yes, give reason why."

I assume it is, and its an age related thing? Google doesn't bring back any useful info.

Cheers,

James

I've been trying to get hold of 'our' 439s V5, but the owner can't locate it yet.

As far as he remembers : GKN-Sankey, Heavy oil, 'fully tracked' and not much else! This was less than a year ago, late November ish. Not saying where. The chap seemed to know quite a bit about similar vehicles, it seems to have been a case of letting him come up with something 'suitable' from a list he had in front of him, for his various questions. Hope this helps.

Chas.

Only remaining thing I'm not sure about is a question on the last page: "Is the vehicle exempt from Type Approval? If yes, give reason why."

I assume it is, and its an age related thing? Google doesn't bring back any useful info.

I didn't fill in the V5C for mine, but I'd have thought "Historic Vehicle" would be a good start?

Andy

Make; GKN Sankey

Body Type; MPV

Taxation Class; Hitoric Vehicle

CC; 9000

Wheel plan; 2-Axle-rigid body

Engine No; N/S

Colour;Green/Black

Nothing else is given. When registering it I keep the details to as little as possible. Brighton office were useless and wanted to charge me road tax ??? so I went over Dartford way and they were great - straight through no problems :) but that was back in 2005.

Good luck with it,:D

Don

Thanks for all the info everyone, now finished filling in the V55/5. Just need to find a spare afternoon now and see what happens.

I suppose worse comes to the worse, I can grab another blank v55/5 and try again in 6 weeks:-D

I'd imagine a lot of it depends on how clued up the person behind the counter is... will find out soon and report back.

Cheers, James

• 13 years later...

I registered my CVRT 5 yeas ago, and got various answers depending on who I talked to. It went from "you cant register that on the road" to "that's unusual I will see if I can help" the second person put me through to the technical department (the guys that write the regulations) and we had a really interesting 2 hour chat.

The upshot was, and still is a far as i know, that the "43*" range are over the 2.55m width limit and can not now be registered for the road. So pleading ignorance in this case is your friend. 

I was also told various other things from other helpful "knowledgeable" people , but my advice is fill as little in as you can, they sent mine back clearly marked what i needed to fill in and with what. And if you don't succeed try again....