Great Dorset Steam Fair

Smithy

Got back late on Sunday evening from Dorset and once again had a great six days at the show. I think I have now got rid of most of the 'Dorset Dust' after five brilliant days of weather and despite a bad start Sunday turned into a half decent day.

Once again there were plenty of different things on offer and despite not being able to take the Gipsy this year I still managed to get around the arena in a couple of different vehicles (Cheers Phil and Mike) :D.

When I uploaded my photos earlier I had taken over 350! Below are a few pictures from the show. I'm still sorting the duplicates etc out so will post some more up in time.

137.jpg

250.jpg

306.jpg

096.jpg

369.jpg

109.jpg

334.jpg

249.jpg

152.jpg

089.jpg

036.jpg

048.jpg

275.jpg

Edited by Smithy

Great pics, in the sunshine. Photo 12 650 UXK looks like a right Heath Robinson job. Militant cab, but odd radiator, Matador chassis? only 2 axles? HIAB on the back or drill rig. Can someone enlighten me, what is it?

Zero-Five-Two

I was confused as well when I first saw it a couple of years ago. It is actually a Militant that had it's back axle cut off. It's working life was spent in London, I think, so it was shortened to work in and around that area.

The guy who owns it reads the forum so he or Croc might be able to provide a bit more information about it.

great pics there smithy i didant realise that was you stood at the top of the hill while i was noseing the trailer about if i had i would have took you for a spin .

thanks

nick

No worries mate. I did wave but you were concentraiting on moving the trailer around then when you did stop I went to come across and you moved off again lol oh well there is always next year.

I was going to come and say hello on the Sunday evening when you were loading the Explorer and living van onto the Alleys low-loader but you looked busy and was speaking to 3/4 others so thought I'd better not but in.

Great pics, in the sunshine. Photo 12 650 UXK looks like a right Heath Robinson job. Militant cab, but odd radiator, Matador chassis? only 2 axles? HIAB on the back or drill rig. Can someone enlighten me, what is it?

Zero-Five-Two

Far from a Heath Robinson Job, it was modified in the 70s by Les Tite, for removing dead Elm trees in London. It started as a 6x6 Milly1, the chassis was shortened and the back axles replaced with an AEC Mandator tractor unit axle. To keep the ratios matched, a diff was made by AEC to fit the Milly front axle case. The original engine was replaced with an AV760, hence the longer bonnet. It has a six speed gearbox and power steering fitted, making it easy to handle and, as a shortened 6x6, very .As well as the Hiab is has a PTO driven Mead Morrison winch and a hefty ground anchor on the back.

Correction. The diff that AEC made was for the Mandator rear axle to match the Milly front axle.

Edited by croc

Zero-Five-Two

Converted many years ago by Les Tite to Extract Dead Elms from narrow roads and Cul-de-Sac's in London. Converted from Militant, the rear diff was specially made by AEC for a Mammoth Axle, as a one off special ratio to match the Militant front axle, reatined in the convertion.

Broke the rear diff on the Douglas on the last day of the show. Drove home with both half-shafts pulled and prop of the back of the Aux Box. Transfer box ran a bit warmer than usual, driving the front axle through the gears, rather than direwct to back axle, but front wheel mdrive engaged got me home......must learn to treaty the old girl as a 58 year old vehicle!!!!

Picture shows trying to free front wheel of recently rebuiolt Mac, that siezed on the axle due to too precise machining and or insufficient lubrication. Having just spent £110,000 on the rebuild, you would have thought they might have put a bit of oil in the lubricator...!!!!!

I think I passed you parked up on the A34 in a layby this morning just south of Oxford Mike, either that or it was a very similar Douglas. Bad luck about the rear axle, aren't they different from a standard Matador unit? I guess steering got a bit heavier if front wheel drive mode!

I think I passed you parked up on the A34 in a layby this morning just south of Oxford Mike, either that or it was a very similar Douglas. Bad luck about the rear axle, aren't they different from a standard Matador unit? I guess steering got a bit heavier if front wheel drive mode!

Steering was probably easier. At first I diagnosed broken half shaft, until they were both extracted intact.

The diff looks like Matador. I have Mat diffs, I don't have spare Mammoth halfshafts, and this is what the Douglas uses, completely different from the Matador ones. So I guess I am very relieved it wasn't a half shaft..

Yep, that would be me. Got to Andover on Monday, and left Andover at 4.00 am this morning, stopped on A£$ to do fuel dipstick and calculate how much diesel to buy to get me home!

Steering was probably easier. At first I diagnosed broken half shaft, until they were both extracted intact.

The diff looks like Matador. I have Mat diffs, I don't have spare Mammoth halfshafts, and this is what the Douglas uses, completely different from the Matador ones. So I guess I am very relieved it wasn't a half shaft..

Yep, that would be me. Got to Andover on Monday, and left Andover at 4.00 am this morning, stopped on A£$ to do fuel dipstick and calculate how much diesel to buy to get me home!

You should have called in I was at home all day (Andover) on monday and got a few Mat diffs here too!

Hope all goes well with the repair job, bit easier than the Antar saga I guess.

You should have called in I was at home all day (Andover) on monday and got a few Mat diffs here too!

Hope all goes well with the repair job, bit easier than the Antar saga I guess.

Job getting worse by the minute. Not Matador diff, not Mammoth Major MkIII, most probably a special ordered from AEC using Mammoth sized parts with 7.9:1 ratio rather than normal Mammoth Major Mkiii 7.92:1.

Diff may be unique and I might be getting new gears cut to suit! (Expense again!!!)