Fake Snatch.

LoggyDriver

While at the Trucks and Troops show I noticed a guy who owned a "Snatch" Land Rover. I made a bee line for it, having driven these vehicles in anger in Northern Ireland. When I got up close it was plain to see that it was just a fake Snatch.

I didn't think any were released as the MOD put them through a rebuild programme "Snatch 2" for Afghanistan. It had gaffer tape in the middle of the windscreen to imitate the armoured screen. There was quite a lot wrong with it, making it easily distinguishable from the REAL thing.

Well each to his own I thought. Then I noticed the board the guy had that described the vehicle as a GENUINE SNATCH LANDROVER that had been in Northern Ireland. For a start the fake "Snatch" has a registration number that denotes it as a 1986 vehicle. Consider the fact that the first Snatch vehicles weren't even built until 1992-93 (KK Mil reg) when 725 vehicles were built plus 3 validation vehicles. 1993-94 saw a further 269 built. I have made some enquires about this vehicle and have since learnt that it's possibly not even a Military Land Rover, but civilian.

I wouldn't normally get up tight about this sort of thing, until that is I opened Windscreen tonight and saw a picture of it on the inside cover, again described as a Snatch. It seems he has even deceived those "in the know".

I'm sorry but it's just not on deceiving the public claiming that this vehicle is a Snatch when it's not. Sure, claim it's a "replica" and I'm fine with that, but claiming it's a genuine Snatch when it isn't is taking the p*ss. I don't know whether the guy who owns it is on here, but if you are, do everyone a favour and stop claiming its a Snatch.

Here is an enclosed picture of the REAL thing.

img306.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A line up of the real thing

SDC10509-1.jpg

And before I get a snotty PM again about braking copyright laws by posting this image on the forum, no laws have been broken the photographs have been taken by myself and my brother.

I think i have seen the replica snatch in question will have a look to see if i can find it.

Does anyone have pictures of this "snatch" land rover? i too would be interested to see what it looks like as I drove Snatch 1 and 2 whilst in Northern Ireland. I am guessing it would have taken alot of time to modify the bodywork to make it resemble the real thing!

Follow the link in post #4

My mate sent me this link. It does look like it was a Military Land Rover, but when I read the guys board it specifically said it was a Snatch Land Rover that had served in Northern Ireland.

Well it's certainly not a Snatch so why say that it is????? I've also noticed from the pictures in the link that he has changed the reg from an E to a C, why? Notice the number "plates" that have just been stenciled onto the rear body and front bumper. I wonder how long it will be before the Police pull it?

Here is the link

http://s835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/C14AJK/

Edited by LoggyDriver

This is totally bizarre - I am not doubting the content of the first post in the thread, however it needed photographic evidence of his show display boards and it seems you do not have this , possibly others will come forward and confirm what you have stated ?

The owner has been quite open in demonstrating the Walt construction using plywood , waste pipe & paint etc. This would not fool close inspection by the vast majority of mv enthusiasts. The reason being it is probably impossible to obtain the real truck (or at realistic cost) - and stated his charitable collection intentions by highlighting the Snatch theme. Perhaps good intentions have got carried away with the Walt thing. If this is the case, then it is a small crime - it is a small world and he will soon be aware of his outing and change the wording on his boards.

Without good evidence - then this man is having his name blackened. No doubt he will soon come to this forum and use his right of reply.

To be fair, that's actually not a bad attempt and a fairly good REPLICA. He really does need to change the wheels though as they aren't correct, nor is the standard doors on the jerry can holders on the side, Snatch 2/3 which this REPLICA is depicting has a grill/mesh door on one side to allow cooling for the aircon unit.

Also the dead give away is the interior which is obviously a standard Landrover 110.

This is totally bizarre - I am not doubting the content of the first post in the thread, however it needed photographic evidence of his show display boards and it seems you do not have this , possibly others will come forward and confirm what you have stated ?

The owner has been quite open in demonstrating the Walt construction using plywood , waste pipe & paint etc. This would not fool close inspection by the vast majority of mv enthusiasts. The reason being it is probably impossible to obtain the real truck (or at realistic cost) - and stated his charitable collection intentions by highlighting the Snatch theme. Perhaps good intentions have got carried away with the Walt thing. If this is the case, then it is a small crime - it is a small world and he will soon be aware of his outing and change the wording on his boards.

Without good evidence - then this man is having his name blackened. No doubt he will soon come to this forum and use his right of reply.

I'm certainly not "blackening" his name. As I said in the original post, what he does with his vehicle is down to him. Also good luck to him for his intentions in raising money, again well done. However the board he had clearly stated it was a Snatch. If he had a board with words such as, "This is a REPLICA of the Snatch Land Rover as used in Northern Ireland" then I certainly see no problem. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of the board.

Yes he has done a good job of it. It certainly made me walk all the way across a field to have a look at it. Have a look at the inside cover of Windscreen, it clearly states in the description that it's a 1988 "Snatch" Land Rover. Well sorry, but it's not...

I'm certainly not "blackening" his name. As I said in the original post, what he does with his vehicle is down to him. Also good luck to him for his intentions in raising money, again well done. However the board he had clearly stated it was a Snatch. If he had a board with words such as, "This is a REPLICA of the Snatch Land Rover as used in Northern Ireland" then I certainly see no problem. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of the board.

Yes he has done a good job of it. It certainly made me walk all the way across a field to have a look at it. Have a look at the inside cover of Windscreen, it clearly states in the description that it's a 1988 "Snatch" Land Rover. Well sorry, but it's not...

Magazines do cock up and accidentally miss words out, have a look at this months CMV on one of the first pages you will find a correction to a previously titled picture / owner of a vehicle. These things happen as we all know the editor of Windscreen might only have had a small amount of space and to many words / characters.

Its not a bad looking job

The vehicle looks like it was done by my 8yr old. Gaffer tape and plyboard! the grills look like they cam of an old trolly! i wouldnt even say it was a good attempt at replicating a real snatch....

All i can say is....

WHY???? :shocked:

The vehicle looks like it was done by my 8yr old. Gaffer tape and plyboard! the grills look like they cam of an old trolly! i wouldnt even say it was a good attempt at replicating a real snatch....

All i can say is....

WHY???? :shocked:

Your a barrel of laughs aren't you, it's a fair attempt and probably has a few civi's fooled,LOOK at his pics on the link, he obviously gets donations for Help for Hero's using this vehicle so it was worth doing as far as he's concerned.

Lighten up blokes, Jesuuuuuus.:yawn:

I agree with recymech66, how many of you guys that have posted obove me complaining about the owner of the "snatch" landrover actually own a snatch or landrover yourselves ???,im sure its the owners pride and joy and if he uses it to raise money fof Help for heros then hes got my vote , lets just leave it at that .

I agree with recymech66, how many of you guys that have posted obove me complaining about the owner of the "snatch" landrover actually own a snatch or landrover yourselves ???,im sure its the owners pride and joy and if he uses it to raise money fof Help for heros then hes got my vote , lets just leave it at that .

Here here (or hear hear ?)...!

So the bloke has built what he believes to be a replica of a snatch land rover.

He is using it to help raise money for a worthwhile cause.

All I can say is good on him.

I totally agree magazines make mistakes, recently seen one refering to Sally B as a Lancaster.

This is a far more obvious mistake than a Land Rover variation.

I have one and I find the different types and dates confusing.

The only thing I do say is that if his board does elude to it being a genuine snatch Land Rover why not contact him and point out the error. He may not actually realise that his signage is misleading people and as such is unintentional. He may not even be aware of the dates for a Snatch. I cannot comment on this as I have not seen it.

From what I can work out genuine snatch Land Rovers are basically non existent in civilian hands and as such genuine parts are going to be even scarcer, so you have to make do and wait till parts come up or build them yourself.

He has probably done what is within his capabilities and financial means.

So unless you have served and used them you are not likely to know exactly how it should be, especially the smaller detailsd and internals as all you have to go by is photographs.

So if you have a real problem how about actually contacting him (politely) at a show or via the EMLRA.

Better still if you can offer him genuine practical advise on how to make his vehicle more real, offer it, he may well appreciate it.

If he doesn't it is his loss and atleast you will have tried.

Mike

PS

Destrction is easy, construction takes effort.

Think it's probably quite true that it's unlikely a genuine snatch will fall into civilian hands . The EAFVG recently had a tour of the workshops in Colchester and at that time there were around twenty in one shop which had been stripped to the bare bones and were being rebuilt to order into whatever configuration was most needed and it sounded like that was the plan for all of the survivors .

I'm sure we all have had someone point out that "in service the widget was fitted on the wibble , not like you have it " at some show or the other,

Fair play its not a real snatch ... are there any in civy hands ? ... but the guy is using it to raise funds for H4H , something I think we will all agree is a worthwile cause and in the 3 years since I took part in the H4H bike ride in 08 and struggled to raise sponsorship has grown into a fantastic charity that spends all it recieves.

He's having fun and doing no harm and may even get a genuine Mil vehicle in the future , our hobby includes allsorts , most hotchkiss jeeps are painted in American markings... are they any better ?

Recy Mech unintentionaly stired up a series of comments with the observation that its not a real snatch , personaly I looked at the thread thinking it may be about another thing altogether:D:-D ;)... oh well .

OK as the chap that owns the Replica Snatch is not here to defend himself I think enough negative comments has be made on the subject.

He is aware of the comments made here & has posted the following on EMLRA

Im really hacked off - the chap who has had a go on the hmvtf or whatever it is is clearly shouting without asking first - I didnt add the caption for the photograph in the windscreen - he adds that there was gaffer tape on the winscreen etc - i would gladly have shown him that it wasnt,(it was painted) - i would also have shown him all the mdf,all the bits ive made and am proud of - it is a snatch replica - as posted on the forum above - i have been collecting and preserving military vehicles for many years and know that you cant possibly fool other enthusiasts - i built the project purely to raise funds and awareness for H4H...and so far i have been very sucsessful - I only wish i could reply to this gentleman and put him straight !!!!!!

It is also very much a military vehicle - i had the history confirmed by the emlra ! - and as for his trace on the number plate that made it an early civvy model.....that will be my private plate that i had transfered on then (c14ajk)

Anyway - thank you for the kind comments regarding the picture in windscreen - im also due to do some film work with it soon - that will upset him some more no doubt !

Loggydriver, maybe be an idea to pop over to the EMLRA forum & put your concerns directly to him. http://forum.emlra.org/viewtopic.php?t=7514

I only wish i could reply to this gentleman and put him straight !!!!!!

I have asked the chap if he would like to join the forum as he has a right to reply.

Edited by Marmite!!