Ferret in Withams Tender

Peter4456

There is a Mk 2/3 Ferret with reg no 34 BA 64 in the August tender at Withams - looks like another ex gate guardian.

The superb website www.ferret-fv701.co.uk has an in service photo of it as a Mk 1 in desert colours. A closer look at the photo shows what I'm sure is a Centurion in the background, in Aden style camouflage. This theory is strengthened by a Land Rover next to the Ferret with the Aden dhow marking (it looks like the same badge is also on the Ferret).

Assuming the Withams Ferret really is 34 BA 64, there's a rare opportunity here for someone to acquire a nice veteran of the Aden conflict!

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Hello

This Ferret 34BA64 was auctioned off in the Boys collection the other month. I wonder if the ferret was bought by Withams or is on sale by comission? I had a look at this ferret a some months ago. It looked fresh from disposal, with removed turret wire cutter and makrolon shield. NI? Of course it was stored inside at Select.

See photo attached from select MV.

DSC00579.jpg

Aden and NI - a real combat veteran!!

Interesting that it was actually used as a Mk1 and then converted to a Mk2/3, which is why I wondered if it is really 34 BA 64 - was it's data plate fitted when Boys had it?

Has anyone else heard of this happening to other Ferrets - used as a Mk1 and then converted to Mk 2/3?

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Comparing the photo on Withams site and the one taken in Boys unit the Ferret appears to have sufffered some damage to the front offside corner between times .

I think it was damaged before it got to Withams. I just about remember looking at it with Matt. Even took a few pictures except mine are completely out off focus, I blame my mobile phone camera ;)

Yes, it did have some damage to the offside front tin work. However the headlamp looks like it's had a knock!

Yes, there are quite a few MK 1's which have been converted to Mk2's. The data plate is in the vehicle but my mobile camera couldn't quite capture the plate in better detail, so can't verify if it's genuine. Looking at the photo again, it looks ok, I just can't make out the hull number to see if it tallys with my records.

I'll attach some more photos.

DSC00606.jpg

DSC00592.jpg

DSC00608.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00604.jpg

We're probably not helping whoever wants to buy it from Withams tender, but what an interesting vehicle!

Easy to fabricate a new wing and source a new headlight!

I've never seen any other Ferrets with Macrolon screens still fitted - are they real? - surely very unusual to have them still fitted on release in, let's say, the mid to late eighties.

From the photos, it looks like the data plate has been there a while!

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

our ferret is 33BA64 and has been kept as early Mk1 spec. it was used in hong kong for most of its life and returned to ludgershall in 1972. I'd love to see a 2/3 ferret in preservation with its northern ireland additions on. I cant recall ever seeing one on the show circuit like this, I have however seen a couple in as released condition in the old east of england tank museums yard

our ferret is 33BA64 and has been kept as early Mk1 spec. it was used in hong kong for most of its life and returned to ludgershall in 1972. I'd love to see a 2/3 ferret in preservation with its northern ireland additions on. I cant recall ever seeing one on the show circuit like this, I have however seen a couple in as released condition in the old east of england tank museums yard

I've got one of them 08bb48

We're probably not helping whoever wants to buy it from Withams tender, but what an interesting vehicle!

Easy to fabricate a new wing and source a new headlight!

I've never seen any other Ferrets with Macrolon screens still fitted - are they real? - surely very unusual to have them still fitted on release in, let's say, the mid to late eighties.

From the photos, it looks like the data plate has been there a while!

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Suspect that the data plate is an original its smaller than the later style of plates

• 2 weeks later...