L1A1 SLR

paul connor

ok, can i ask a few things?

I know that there are diferences in the pre and post 95 models.

The 95 on seems to be just a welded up frame with nothing much of use or interest

The pre 95 are what im interested in, But i have a few questions.

Can a pre 95 be cocked, chamber a round and dry fire? (inert) some poeple say yes some say no...

Also can it be fully stipped?

Is the Gas regulator removed? and is the flash at the end welded?

I would just like to know the main differences as if i spend alot of money i would like a nice example you can play with:)

Also how easy is it to change the furniture? as wood is worth alot more than ABS , but again i have seen the wood for sale quite cheap?

Don't take this as a definitive answer but (he says sitting perched on a fence...) the SLR's I've seen with the original de-act status could be field stripped, inc. the gas reg. and dry fired. Obviously no firing pin as such and the barrel is plugged. Never tried chambering a round in one though. Best bet is to take a look at the sellers of such kit - there were a few nice examples at Beltring this year. Prices seemed to range from £400 to £600 though so not a cheap option.

Latest level de-acts are, I believe, all welded up and you can't do anything with them.....

If you decide to go for one ensure the sling swivels and carry handle are fitted - assuming you are looking to recreate the N.I. role.

If they are missing then its a better than average chance that the weapon was decommissioned from one of the three regiments that would have been decidedly unpopular in N.I. at that time...

I own a pre 95 SLR and Artists is correct with how far you can strip it.

I also have never tried to chamber a round as when i did that on my GPMG it chambered more or less but then jammed and bent both the round and cartridge making extraction a :banghead:

Price range for pre 95 will be closer to £600 than £400.

Strictly speaking the post 95 specification requires that there are no moving parts at all, they should all be welded or glued up:

loading handle :nono: trigger :nono: ejection port & chamber :nono:

Who were the unpopular regiments?

heheh

I shall show a link of the SLR's i have seen, i dont know the company but they seem cheap, altho they are plastic furniture. I have been told by a company that you need an armourers tool to change the furniture, but my friend who served with them says you need a flat blade!

www.dwsuk.com

any one know this site? or indeed how good or how legit it is?

they have 4 SLR's at £500 for old spec...

As a dealer I can tell you that I have never had one that would chamber a round. According to the Birmingham proofmaster it has always been part of the deactivation specification.

Plastic furniture ones are usually cheaper than wood furniture. British and Australian are usually worth mpre than Belgian and Argentinian models.

Regards

Chris

The L1A1 was only the British version. Not sure what the Australians used but can find out if required. Not too sure about the Argentinian one either although I think they used the same as the Belgian - could easily be wrong though....

The Belgian version was the FN (Fabrique Nationale IIRC) and is most easily identified by the fact it will have no flash eliminator on the barrel plus has the fully auto option on the safety catch. L1A1 SLR was single shot only - unless some mean, sneaky, devious Regimental armourer illegally modified the safety mechanism.

The FN was also available with a folding skeletal stock for use by airborne units.

The Australian Army used the L1A1 from around the early 60s through to the late 80s. We also had some of the AR (automatic rifle) version with the heavy barrel.

While not recommended - and for fairly obvious reasons - it was a simple fix to switch the trigger mechanism from the AR to the SLR and voila - a fully automatic SLR.

Jack

We would never do anything with the sear would we??

I always liked SLR SA80 was just in when i left still looks like it came out of a box of soggies

I mean 5.56 this one time when size does count sweetheart.............

Hardyferret and special frog squad now liasing with the SLAGS where will it all end

Don't know if any of you guys are familiar with this auction site but it is where i bought my SLR from, although not from this specific seller.

Aussie wood furniture SLR currently on sale - old spec too.

http://www.speedbid.com/lot.cfm?lotID=370365

PS I am not the seller nor do I know him or ever heard of him so have no idea how good he/she is

I saw a wonderful sight in the Sunday paper. The L1A1 with wooden furniture is to return. Unfortunately it comes with a relaunched Action Man wearing what looked horribly like a Royal Tank Regiment badge on his beret, a khaki woolley pulley, grey teflon trousers and boots. Not a black JHW or coveralls in sight.

Memo to self: must go wind up the Armoured Farmers thread on the ARRSE RAC forum.

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, if you're going to go for a later spec SLR you may as well buy one of the dummy SLRs for under £100, it looks the part when mounted in a vehicle, as far as I know they may have been used for positioning mountings in vehicles, used for drill training & the last suggestion was film props, they are cast metal with wood furniture but look the mutz when painted black, or for the older look rub down the wood & re-stain.

you can see one in this picture

width=601 height=489http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/2756/slrcz0.jpg[/img]

Cheers

Ian

I would personally advise that you look before you buy as some of the early deac's were not done in that sympathetic a manner.

I scoured the militaria fairs for a long time before coming across one that I thought good enough to pay the money for.

All of the deac work carried out on the one I purchased has been done with the display of the weapon in mind and as such does not show to any great extent.

Take a look

width=360 height=270http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/Daemon1/123.jpg[/img]

width=360 height=270http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/Daemon1/213.jpg[/img]

width=360 height=270http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/Daemon1/12.jpg[/img]

width=360 height=270http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/Daemon1/22.jpg[/img]

In the second picture it shows a round starting to be chambered, this cannot be done but I had managed to set it up to look like it could by using the bolt lock.

Fourth picture shows the slot cut made in the breech according to deac regs which in this particular weapon is concealed when the c o c k ing lever is placed back in the closed position. I had found on other pre 95 deac's that this slot had been cut in the underside so being on display at all times and in fact weakening the magazine chute.

My only complaint, if you could call it that, is that where the pressure bearing surfaces of the bolt have been ground away it causes the bolt lock to be a little tempermental in operation due to the lack of area left on the bolt to hold it in position.

All other deactivation has been carried out so that it is hidden by the forestock woodwork and includes gas port being slot cut, piston tube opened by grinding and the barrel slot cut with a rod welded.

The old girl field strips as per original, c o c k s and dry fires so is good in all respects other than it will never fire a round again.

The reason the armourer tool is required is due to the main spring being retained in the stock, and from experience in the field with the real thing I would advise using the tool if you can get one as the spring is under a lot of compression already.

The Aussie version is identical to our own in nearly all respects as it uses inch parts and not metric, however there are some variations on the rear sight.

The Heavy barrelled version was classed as LSW and was never issued in the UK. Deac versions of these were available at Beltring this year from Withams and being classed as a LMG therefore followed different deac regs ( parts not welded up and able to field strip c o c k and dry fire).

Yes we used to play with them in the field and obtain full auto, but the armourers used to get the hump after having to replace the barrels on a more than normal frequency. Allways tried to find the man with the Mk3 Bren as the mags were a direct swap thereby increasing ones ammunition carrying capability (2 bren mags to 3 SLR).

All in all one of the best weapons I have had the opportunity to use

Yes we used to play with them in the field and obtain full auto, but the armourers used to get the hump after having to replace the barrels on a more than normal frequency. Allways tried to find the man with the Mk3 Bren as the mags were a direct swap thereby increasing ones ammunition carrying capability (2 bren mags to 3 SLR).

Draw-backs there John were that the Bren mags were gravity feed whereas the SLR ones were force fed. This led to an unfortunate number of jams in use - particularly when "double tapping" and 20 rounds had been fired - unless you could find a civvy armourer to work their voodoo on the feed springs inside the mag..

Other one was the annoying habit of getting the back-sight whacked into your face after taking a dive into the prone position because the longer mag hit the ground...

Especially if you had two mags taped together......

For the price of a pint though our armourer would "adapt" your personal weapon to make full auto available whilst removing the sling swivels and carry-handle so I guess we were luckier than most units!!