Converting MV into a Camper

ferrettkitt

For insulation some old carpet between the canvas and support bars, then a sheet of hessian to hide it (worked well on our fitter truck at minus 20 deg c ). Camp cots are reasonably comfy and pack up small for transport if u need more room in the back.

I did see some of the signal boxes but I didn't think that they had a great deal of room inside for two of us and as Janine considers it to be hers I had instructions that I couldn't go in that direction.

We tried fitting two of the alloy style of beds side by side and they didn't fit mores the pity. Those lockers on the side take up a fair amount of room on the load bed.

Edited by ferrettkitt
more info

I did see some of the signal boxes but I didn't think that they had a great deal of room inside for two of us and as Janine considers it to be hers I had instructions that I couldn't go in that direction.

We tried fitting two of the alloy style of beds side by side and they didn't fit mores the pity. Those lockers on the side take up a fair amount of room on the load bed.

Something of possible interest, or perhaps what occured to me is that when we initially size the back up to sleep in there we always look at the floor between the two sides.

I saw a German 716 camper conversion and what he did is run the bed above the floor from the LHS wall, not accross the floor as that is a waste of space. The RHS, above your toolboxes whould be the inner storage cabinets etc.

found the link http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/viewtopic.php?t=4603

Those side lockers may not be such a problem if the seats are removed, and the bed and worktop built over them, as I have done over my trailer wheels. You also have room for the all important toilet, as shown here, posts #14, #20 : http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7860-self-made-Campers-on-military-trucks-!-Photos/page2

I'm sure this design will fit in your truck and be very comfortable, even if you keep the canvas and insulate under it as suggested.

hi andy

how about a fold down bed on one side and the sink/cooker on the other, for the bed you need ,a set of hinges a sheet of ply with a mattress/foam and some chain or rope to suspend it from the canopy frame. for the other internal fittings try to find an old caravan to rip out what you need. you can get a sink with a cooker and grill all in one for boats and caravans ebay is your best bet, i had one for my boat and it worked a treat dimensions are 900x450. just remember that because you're pushed for space everything will have to be easily stowed or be dual purpose.

all the best

eddy

I did something similar in my 101, based on a Reme fitters truck i had a picture of.

Simple angle frame that drops into the load bed and a sheet of 18mm marine ply on top. Loads of out of sight storage space underneath in ammo boxes. Handy when you have the tilt sides rolled up. I can sleep across it if on my own, or i add an extra ply section between the rear wheel arches supported on a storage box if the other half is with me and we sleep length ways. Probably takes 5 mins to remove and back to a normal Gs.

photo-34.jpg

Robbing old caravans is good for extras like fridges and cookers. I boxed up a caravan fridge again in treated ply for weather protection and it normally rides in the sankey with a gas bottle for ease of use, or i chuck it in the 101 and put it by the side once setting up camp.

Something of possible interest, or perhaps what occured to me is that when we initially size the back up to sleep in there we always look at the floor between the two sides.

I saw a German 716 camper conversion and what he did is run the bed above the floor from the LHS wall, not accross the floor as that is a waste of space. The RHS, above your toolboxes whould be the inner storage cabinets etc.

found the link http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/viewtopic.php?t=4603

That's a nice well thought out conversion which still keeps it simple and functional. I've not been in a caravan for quite a few years but it has that look.

Those side lockers may not be such a problem if the seats are removed, and the bed and worktop built over them, as I have done over my trailer wheels. You also have room for the all important toilet, as shown here, posts #14, #20 : http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7860-self-made-Campers-on-military-trucks-!-Photos/page2

I'm sure this design will fit in your truck and be very comfortable, even if you keep the canvas and insulate under it as suggested.

Thats very good I could just about manage something like that but its all in the planning and a bit of experience of what you need and don't need.

Following this with interest, i'm thinking of buying a RB44 and doing the same thing.

I'll sort out a plan of the floor measurements and the like when I get over to my parents house this weekend

Please keep your suggestions coming and pics if you have them

Edited by ferrettkitt

hi andy

how about a fold down bed on one side and the sink/cooker on the other, for the bed you need ,a set of hinges a sheet of ply with a mattress/foam and some chain or rope to suspend it from the canopy frame. for the other internal fittings try to find an old caravan to rip out what you need. you can get a sink with a cooker and grill all in one for boats and caravans ebay is your best bet, i had one for my boat and it worked a treat dimensions are 900x450. just remember that because you're pushed for space everything will have to be easily stowed or be dual purpose.

all the best

eddy

There is a caravan breakers somwhere in Oldham / Ashton area, they have all the bits you will need.