sharky

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

the 432 bars will fit we have two 433's and two 432's and have been running 433's on 432 bars for a year now regular off road driving with no problems the MAJOR and i mean MAJOR problem with 433's is there are no packs availiable for normal money so you have to adapt from 432 parts the wiring looms,radiators and heat exchangers are very different as well as one of the fan drive motors.

the 432 bars will fit we have two 433's and two 432's and have been running 433's on 432 bars for a year now regular off road driving with no problems the MAJOR and i mean MAJOR problem with 433's is there are no packs availiable for normal money so you have to adapt from 432 parts the wiring looms,radiators and heat exchangers are very different as well as one of the fan drive motors.

With this in mind does it mean that the abbott has now gone into the realm of vehicles for definate where people say yeah id love to have an abbott but just cant get hold of any spares

and they ve become more expensive to restore because everything has to be remanufactured again ?

And surely there must be some abbott packs out there still ? if not what has happened to all the spare parts for these vehicles have they all crossed the atlantic or have they been binned or cut up by longsighted people ?

theres plenty of packs availiable but there being held onto and are priced very highly its possible to rebuild a 432 pack to fit a 433 but some parts are special and worth their weight on gold ive been looking been looking at replacing these parts with similar more modern replacements and am still searching as usual with all 43 vehicles the engines and drive are fairly sturdy but the associated plumbing lets it down

Edited by Tankman

theres plenty of packs availiable but there being held onto and are priced very highly its possible to rebuild a 432 pack to fit a 433 but some parts are special and worth their weight on gold ive been looking been looking at replacing these parts with similar more modern replacements and am still searching as usual with all 43 vehicles the engines and drive are fairly sturdy but the associated plumbing lets it down

Well you would be a man to ask then i am going to start colecting abbott parts as i will hopefully manage to acquire one this year or next can you please pm me with a list of parts that are essential that are their weight in gold,

As i feel it would better to start collecting the bits before i find the vehicle then ill have enough as spares or replacements for when the day comes and what parts of the vehicle are you looking to modernise ?

thanks

our abbot looked as tidy as yours two years ago but letting people drive them soon saw to that we still have the skirts and bins they were getting beaten so we took them off and the headlights died due to an over enthusiastic customer ploughing into three inch ice on our track

you are the radiator sits vertically at the front and is very different to the 432 one while the fans are at the rear its one of the nice rare 433 items that doesnt seem to go but is expensive to replace my advice find someone who repairs air-conditioning and get him to re braze it if he can then pressure test it but not too high

• 10 months later...

Iain: I've added information and photos from this thread, thanks. Can you say where the scrapyard was that it came from, so I can get its background history correct?

Everyone else: here it is as it looks now:

Unique ID 1835: Abbot at Armourgeddon

IMG-6626_Abbot_Armourgn_AArchive_c.jpg

And a view into the turret through the top hatch (taken with the camera on a monopod):

IMG-6630_Abbot_Armourgn_AArchive_c.jpg

Iain - she's getting dusty! Time for a quick drive round, perhaps? :shocked:

Andy

Hi Andy she is a bit, but we are hopefully putting up a new museum building this winter so we'll give her a spin out then when we shuffle vehicles around . most of the dust is from the tanks running round the track all summer gets like a sandstorm up here with 12 tanks working continuously.;)

hows yours doing any more progress .

p.s trevor, the scrappers she came from was just outside markham moor near chesterfield and before that she was with everyman leisure driving experiance centre at mallory park i think.

That location map probably needs Germany on it as she'll have spent most of her life over there!

Andy

I agree but I don't add locations without some evidence (it could equally be said of most post-war British military vehicles) - maybe she went no further than Larkhill. Perhaps someone will come up with a service history or photographic evidence from its registration: "07 EB 65".

I wonder if Iain has the record cards? Bovington are usually pretty helpful in that respect. Mine (08EB10) spent all its life in BAOR before coming back to the UK to be sold off.

Andy

Good point. I don't yet have many Abbots online, but they are on my to-do list - I hope at that point I can also add yours. This is what I have so far:

Preserved Abbots

Trevor,

you had better slap a pin in the map on Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. The Ontario Regt have 06 EB 80

see this link:- http://www.ontrmuseum.ca/vehicles.htm

There is also another one belonging to the Canadian War Museum currently on loan to the Lincoln and Welland museum see mentioned in this text:- http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/31cbg_hq/2009/News/NiagaraArmoury.htm

I will scout around for its number, believe it is a Value Engineered Abbot.

There is this one in Alberta, Canada

http://armourcrossalberta.com/abbot.htm

I am fairly sure that there are a few in the US of A

R

Edited by robin craig