Ferrets in Cyprus

simondawson

OK I looked over and over and still dont see the UAE (Sharjah) part - where is that in realation to a date? GPMG yes (same as MAG58 or M240 ?) would rather have 1919 mount since I have acouple here. Does someone have a picture of the GPMG installed in the turret? One last thing - Sold to Philanderdia in 95 is that a British company?

Edited by tokarev

Perhaps this 'translation' may help - one of the longest Ferret histories I've done and very interesting.

I can't find any trace of 'Philandendia' as a company - someone on here is sure to know!

I do have photos of 1RTR Ferrets in Omagh in 1973 but sadly 05 CC 83 is not among them - one photo is tantalisingly just out of focus to read the number!

05 CC 83.doc

Edited by Peter4456
Correct history card attached - Doh! - Sharjah = UAE

Thanks for the "translation" - another question - My Ferret seems to be missing the center box on the right side (facing foward) Theres no visible attachment points on the escape hatch for the box - is this another version/mod?

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

If you go to the British Pathe site and search for Cyprus 50s and 60s there are several clips showing Ferrets in service. Takes a bit of effort but often you can see the rego on the stills.

Cheers Nik

Thanks for the "translation" - another question - My Ferret seems to be missing the center box on the right side (facing foward) Theres no visible attachment points on the escape hatch for the box - is this another version/mod?

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

Yep its another mod it at least saves you from having to buy or have a bin fabricated.

My ferret's service record

image006.jpg

image004.jpg

image002.jpg

The pink card shows it as being with 16/5L and 1RTR between 20 April 1972 and 28 May 1974. It will have been stationed at Lisanelly Barracks, Omagh, where 15/19H took over from 1 RTR later in 1974. I joined 15/19H in Omagh early in 1976.

Yep its another mod it at least saves you from having to buy or have a bin fabricated.

My Ferret has same mod, but I want a side bin. I was told bolts had probably been ground off but it was a good job as no sign of them.

Does anyone have a side bin?

I just went outside to look for any signs of grinding - feels like there might be two spots towards the outside edges of the hatch. I really like the look of the boxes too - plus they serve a purpose too.

Yes more storage would be great as all the other bins full already.

• 4 months later...

Simon, just spotted this request and I do indeed have a couple of photographs of your Ferret when it was being used by 10th Gurkha Rifles in 1974. I've sent an email to the one you listed on here a year or so ago just in case you still have the same one.

Simon, thus must be yours then. These two Ferrets of 10th Gurkha Rifles were out patrolling the Dhekelia-Ay Nik road and had stopped to liaise with a UN patrol, just outside the village of Achna. I took the photographs but am not sure of the actual date, but looking at the green vegitation and the mud, it must have been during the winter of 1974/75.

Imphal.jpg

00EC18a - Sharqat.jpg

00EC18b - Sharqat.jpg

00EC18c - Sharqat.jpg

Catterick Commando August 1975 - February 1976 mukker. By my calculation I was last reinforcement to join the regiment in Omagh.

Wrong. In the current Journal they say goodbye to Taz on his retirement to be Regimental Secretary at HHQ: seems he moved to Omagh in April 76: barely had time to qualify for his GSM!

Okay, this one might be an overly detailed question but here goes.

The picture of OOEC18 shows the reflector on the right hanging from the mudguard.

Does anyone happen to know how many ferrets had this style of reflector and why it was done?

(OOEC13 has the same style, a hinged lollipop shaped piece of metal attached to the right rear mudguard)

cause someone had nicked the normal mounting brkts?:D

:-) That's one explanation!

There are no holes on either mudguard for the standard type bracket and the hinged reflector seems pretty well fixed to it (I can't recall precisely but I seem to remember it is welded to the mudguard)

I'll have to dig out my photos.

I just went outside to look for any signs of grinding - feels like there might be two spots towards the outside edges of the hatch. I really like the look of the boxes too - plus they serve a purpose too.

The bin is held on by 8 studs welded to the hatch in two rows of 4 with a spacer on each stud to allow the bin to clear the outside edge of the hatch. They were located well in from the outside edge of the hatch, maybe 4in's or so. I took extensive pictures of my rebuild, but sadly not of that part.

Ross