Ferrets in Cyprus

simondawson

Good evening all,

Im trying to put together a collection of Daimler Ferrets that served in Cyprus. I have two of my own, but to be fair they are obviously staged photographs. I would really like hear from anyone who may have served in the 70's when mine was having fun with the Gurkhas.

Kind regards,

Simon Dawson

OOEC18 MK 1/2

I took loads of UNFICYP Ferret pics (same tour as Bazz 76 - 77), and sent them all home for safe keeping and to prove to me mum that I was alive and well.

Me mum died some years later and it would seem my brother threw them all out.

AAAAAAAAAAARGH.

Here are some pics taken in Cyprus 1971, when my dad was Chaplain to the Gordon Highlanders. He is the wee guy in some of the pics. These were posted previously, but lost in the forum crash.

Hope they are of interest to you.

ferret 2.jpg

ferret 1.JPG

ferret 3.JPG

ferret 4.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys ,

Interesting to see the ferrets are green, i was out thier with 62 Cyp Support Sqdn RE.

All of the ones i saw were white, no pics unfortunatly.

What i will say is it is nice to see some of the blokes who drove them around on the forum as it gives me an oportunity to let my feelings be known having sweated my arse off in cutting and repairing the tracks on the UN Line to come out in the morning and find the ferrets had ripped it to bits again before we had a chance to finish it!

" Ba****ds!!!!!!!!"

Regards

Tim The digger driver :D

Hi guys ,

Interesting to see the ferrets are green, i was out thier with 62 Cyp Support Sqdn RE.

All of the ones i saw were white, no pics unfortunatly.

Clearly you were there post-war. Did you ever see a cairn by the roadside on the no-stopping zone between north and south where it cut the main Nicosia - Larnaca drag, topped by three blue helmets.

On our first journey down that road in September 1976 I was told that it commemorated three Australian Civilian Policemen (AustCivPol), based in Nicosia, whose green UN jeep was napalmed by Turkish jets during the recent war, believing them to be Cypriots. From that day forward, all UN vehicles have been painted gloss white to prevent a repeat.

It's interesting that the official UN document (somebody from here has posted a link previously) states that the three casualties were from the Austrian Contingent (AusCon) who were centred on Larnaca during our tour.

I cannot argue with the official UN statement, but I also remember what I was told on our Int briefing on day 1. Take your pick.

• 3 months later...
Good evening all,

Im trying to put together a collection of Daimler Ferrets that served in Cyprus. I have two of my own, but to be fair they are obviously staged photographs. I would really like hear from anyone who may have served in the 70's when mine was having fun with the Gurkhas.

Kind regards,

Simon Dawson

OOEC18 MK 1/2

Hi Simon I have photos of serving ferrets in cyprus, one of those ferrets is now on the ranges in the UK. If you send me an e mail address I will send them to you as I dont know how to send them using this method.

Bob Podesta

I am guessing this is the memorial you are referring to ? if so I will confirm which contingent it is from, but looking at the guy in white it's an Austrian insignia on his sleeve - I believe... and the flag/scroll on the ground is the correct colours for Austria.

109d0a9f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Three after my Rebro Ferret in 1980, 33BA81.

And yet 33BA81 was a Mark 1 where 33BA84 (clearly in the previous pic) is a Mark 2.

Presumably when Ferret 2 was generally replaced by CVR(T), many of the surplus were converted to Mark 1 to make them useful again.

Edited by AlienFTM
Wait, there's more.

• 2 months later...
Hi Simon I have photos of serving ferrets in cyprus, one of those ferrets is now on the ranges in the UK. If you send me an e mail address I will send them to you as I dont know how to send them using this method.

Bob Podesta

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delay, not been around for a while. My emaill address is simondawson8@aol.com

Many thanks,

SIMON ,

my ferret 03CC28 was in Cyprus

between AUG 74 ...MARCH 84

AUG 74 V.S.D STOCK

OCT 74 / MAR 75 Queens Royal Irish Hussars

MAR 75 / SEP 75 1 Royal Tank REG

SEP 75 / AUG 77 ORD DEP

AUG 77 / SEP 78 VEH Sub Depot

SEP 78 / JUNE 80 U.N Recce SQU

JUN 80 / OCT 80 VEH sub Depot

OCT 80 / JAN 83 U.N Recce SQU