Ponderosa-40's weekend-Wartime vehicles only-

Hello,

I had a call tonight from a chap organising a 1940's weekend. This link will tell you a little bit more,

http://www.ponderosa-park.co.uk/centre/whatson.php

The owner and founder of the ponderosa was so impressed with elvington he decided to organise his own show. He wants to keep the theme world war two, but is letting certain post war vehicles attend, but he won't be having lines of land rovers.

The event is in it's third year, there will be three live firing 25pdr's with the quads and limbers, the list of vehicles he's already got booked in is very impressive. He's got 120 vehicles booked in so far. He's hoping to have all 4 makes of tilly there, four k2's and a full set of bedfords, mw ox oy and ql. There will also be wartime renactors. I spent an hour on the phone and he was realing off the events that will be happening.

On the saturday night there's a fortys dance, a singers been book, they've booked a pattern impersonator and are trying to find a churchill, and truck load of beers been ordered.

The organiser has a more old school attitude to things, british, american, and german vehicles all given there own area's.

I was really impressed with the person i spoke to, he was really keen to get vehicles there, and make a good show for the exhibitor. As you can see there's loads to do at the poderosa and his very words were you can have as many tickets as you like if you bring a vehicle.

Anyone who is intrested in attending a good ww2 show please P.M. me and i'll give you stuarts number and he can tell you the full programme of events.

Edited by rippo

I know i can't even say it!! and it's only an hour away.

This sounds like a really good event, the organiser really sounds like he is trying to achieve sometime a lot of shows have lost, and its all for a good cause instead of filling someones pocket.

I know i can't even say it!! and it's only an hour away.

This sounds like a really good event, the organiser really sounds like he is trying to achieve sometime a lot of shows have lost, and its all for a good cause instead of filling someones pocket.

Oh dear, sounds like you are in trouble if you don't understand the lingo, sounds as if you need a crash course in tyke speak and customs that involve ferrets and trousers:readbook: or it could result in:beatenup::D

To be serious it does look good and I hope it is successful.

Edited by Degsy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys - This event is shaping up quite nicely now with a reported 158 wartime vehicles booked in already .

I have had Stuart the organiser on the phone asking if there is anyone out there who has any of the following and will be available on the weekend for ponderosa - He is looking for anyone with :

Larger wartime british vehicles in any format such as AUSTIN K2 / K3 / K5 SCREAMERS or any K6 Variants - He has some K2 - KATY Ambulances going and has most wartime models of Bedfords .

Any wartime armour such as Tanks / carriers etc and there respective Transport vehicles

A bofors 40mm Anti Aircraft Gun - There is a veteran from ww2 who will be in attendance who will be celebrating his 90th birthday at this event who used to fire these and 25 pounders with the Desert Rats .

ALL WARTIME Vehicles are welcome irrespective of nationality - Sorry no Post - war

If you can help out at all please ring Stuart on 07748 604461

All i can say is that i am taking 7 vehicles and the polsten, and it has not cost me £70, cost me £0 entry. (Fuel is a matter of personal choice)...... As far as i am aware, there is no entrance fee for WW2 Military Vehicles. I think the organiser is on the forum so i am sure will chime in.

Ken

I heard rumours that it was £10 to bring a vehicle is this true?

Hi Mate - No this is not true at all and do not know where this rubbish has come from ???

The entry to the event is totally free to all entrants the only stipulation at the moment is , that all vehicles must be from ww2 - The event is not open to post war vehicles this year .

I have posted the number for Stuart who is organising the event for the vehicles side...Give him a ring and get booked in .

Stuart is passionate about ww2 vehicles especially British types as he owns amongst others a K2-aty ambulance and a Tilly . The owner of ponderosa itself is also passionate about Militaryu vehicles and is sending out invites free of charge and is allowing all entrants free entry to the zoo etc and is doing what he can to welcome entrants - This is a charity event for an excellent cause which we would like to grow into something good for us Northerners to enjoy and to welcome people from way up North to way down South and beyond so please get booked in as soon as you can - Cheers Guys:coffee:

I heard rumours that it was £10 to bring a vehicle is this true?

Absolute rubbish :banghead:, and totally untrue. It's completely the opposite their helping the exhibitor out. Everyone who's booked in will have meals provided for them, and thats something that the business minded shows have completely forgotten. I've been on the phone to the organiser tonight and he is completely against exhibitors having to payto display there vehicles, seen as your making the show.

I guess this is a rumor started by post war vehicle owners who have been refused entry, and have even threatened to block the entrance if they can't bring their land rovers. :yawn:

To anybody who has the slightest interest in going please take the time to ring the organsier (stuart) and get the FACTS from him. He rang me personally, his interest and keeness to have a good spead of wartime vehicles, his politeness and respect won me over and convinced me to put willow back on the road, tax, mot, and insure willow just for this one show.

Edited by rippo

Although I can't attend for reasons I've told Stuart(organiser) I can also confirm there is no charge to enter a WW2 vehicle at all. I have met the owner of Ponderosa on a number of occasions(nothing to do with vehicles) and can confirm this is a place where real charity work is done and the owner is a genuine A1 guy who puts his money where his mouth is. Those who seek to disrupt/undermine this potentially excellent event should b****r off and set fire to their own tiny minds. I for one wont p*** in their ears.

Cleckheckmonsedge! That's indian country Rippo. You'll need to be flying a white flag before you venture over the border and don't mention red roses.:D

It is years since I heard of the mythical kingdom of Cleckheckmondsedge... You are a learned fellow indeed, Deryck...:-)

It is years since I heard of the mythical kingdom of Cleckheckmondsedge... You are a learned fellow indeed, Deryck...:-)

Not a lot of people know that:D......you may also have heard of the other one nearby known as Cleckhuddersfax:cool2:

I guess this is a rumor started by post war vehicle owners who have been refused entry, and have even threatened to block the entrance if they can't bring their land rovers. :yawn:

If us Post War guys wanted to throw a spanner in the works all we would have to do is place an advert in a local rag for a jumble sale...

Just think of the carnage hundreds of grannies with zimmer frames descending on the area... those little old ladies can be mean when they want to be

I guess this is a rumor started by post war vehicle owners who have been refused entry, and have even threatened to block the entrance if they can't bring their land rovers.

I've got a feeling that is duff gen as well as Stuart rang me up and asked me to bring the Pinkie, even posted me a set of passes. There was no mention at the time of a Wartime/PostWar distinction. I'm not saying that Stuart is enthusiastic about the whole event but it took me ages to get off the phone :)

If I don't get Pinkie put together in time for Sunday, I wish it well and agree with the sentiments about having an event that isn't lining the pockets of a "Meejia Events" company.

this was my first mv event and i had a great time, it was a well organised show with some interesting and well thought out stands, i liked the way each country had it's own display area and these were well laid out.i particulary liked the re-enactors battles it was a good way to break up the day especially if you've got young kids in tow.

it was nice to meet you rippo, shame we couldn't talk for longer but when the carrier arrives i'm sure i'll be able to bore you some more.

berma2vm,next time you go to a show up north give me a nod

all the best

eddy

Hello,

Well degsy I made it to yorkshire and back without any problems!! The show was a massive success to say the least, with no less than three veterans in attendance. A really nice thing was how far the ponderosa went out of thier way to make them feel welcome, and treated them like the hero's they are. Well done to you all.

The show site was very well planned out, and the organiser took the time to come and meet you. We were given meal packs on both days and had entry to the ponderosa farm and rare breeds, which took a good couple of hours to walk around on its own.

Although numbers were slightly down, due to poor attendance, but all i can say is you all missed out. There was a fine turn out of vehicles. We were blessed with good weather all weekend. The re-enactors put on a superb display both days, and it was incredibly well planned out.

Here's some pictures i took.

Willow with an old friend.

Unfortunatley the Bedford oy booked in didn't arrive, one short of a full set, but there was a lovely QL.

Here's something you don't see very often!!

The story behind itis, there were two morris quads, limbers, and guns on route and both broke down, so the super bedford went to their help, well done Mike. Two trips later and they were all on the show ground and both running by this morning, ready for the display.

I think in all there were 7 dunkirk era vehicles there today.

The cdsw is a fantastic piece of kit up close, it moved glynn that much he polished his tip.

Here's harry the desert rat, I was lucky enough to be asked to pick him up from the car park, in willow, and drive him to the arena for the artillery display. Its always moving how down to earth these people are about what they did. He was on the 25pdrs in africa and they had two firing to mark his 92nd birthday. He was in the bedford in no time, and telling me how he was called up from a T.A. base just around the corner from me in stockport. He went on to ask me, why do we all do this, and the answer was, to remember the people like you.

The other two veterans were found walking around the showsite, complete with medals.

Sadly thats all the pictures i took. There was a long line of american vehicles too, but no canadian. It was great to spend some time with old friends, and also meet some new ones, i'll look forward to see you again eddie.

100_1591.jpg

100_1626.jpg

100_1589.jpg

100_1588.jpg

100_1593.jpg

100_1623.jpg

100_1620.jpg

100_1621.jpg

100_1590.jpg

100_1634.jpg

100_1627.jpg

100_1625.jpg