Withams Tender

Big Al

They have swapped the Challenger Recovery Vehicles over to Challenger 2 track, so that's probably why there is some surplus around.

Track pads do officially have a shelf life, so they could just be out of date ?

All vehicles are cast when they are sent for disposal. Those with cast painted on them probably had it done to prevent people from using them while waiting for back loading to Withams.

Or to make sure the good bits got swapped out of them! Incidentally this is why the release form is called MOD Form 654 'Application for disposal of a cast vehicle'.

Those Stormers (271,272) look nice, wonder how much they'll go for...don't they have the Perkins diesel?

Stone

Edited by Stone

Yes, I'd love one, but they are MASSIVE and 'overwidth' ....

Now now Chris don't you know there is now a forum for that kind of thing !!

But yes they are massive - until you see one in the flesh difficult to appreciate how much bigger than cvrt they are. I suspect for that reason and parts availability they won't actually go for that much but I stand to be corrected..

Please, will someone purchase 77 KH 17 in the tender. This DROPS was one of my old Troops DROPS. I have photo's of me with this vehicle when I was in the Army. If only I had the money!!! I'd love to be reunited with the old girl, she is a very good truck and I see they have given her a respray!!!!

87 KH 03 was also in my Troop.

http://www.mod-sales.com/vehicleImage/29972.htm

Edited by LoggyDriver

id love to take her on but ive not enough room in my barn now got too many tracked vehicles in there but ill mention it to my mate who army truck mad maybe he ll put in a bid whats the price do you reckon she ll go for ?

id love to take her on but ive not enough room in my barn now got too many tracked vehicles in there but ill mention it to my mate who army truck mad maybe he ll put in a bid whats the price do you reckon she ll go for ?

On the site they have a guide price of £17,000 but I reckon £10,000 would probably secure. This truck was excellent when I drove it, that's going back a few years though. She still looks in good nick. I hope it goes to a good home.

On the site they have a guide price of £17,000 but I reckon £10,000 would probably secure. This truck was excellent when I drove it, that's going back a few years though. She still looks in good nick. I hope it goes to a good home.

when bidding dont forget the VAT is added after

Lots 123 - 126 Scimitar / Scorpion hulls I had a look at them yesterday just out of curiosity I now know why they were sandblasted it shows up all the cracks in the hull floor! I have heard of this before on this forum?

How much does a hull weigh? I have an idea where these might go if the scrap Aluminium price is still high.

In regards to the Sankey trailers described as grade 1 I would hate to see what grade 2 is.

A C.V.R.(T) in service in the 1970’s was about 8 ton (a hull weighs in about 6 to 7 1/2 ton) & because pure ally is easy for Artillery frags plus anything bigger than a standard Inf round they are a mix of metals to make them denser & light.

Loggydriver if I had seen this thread before I visited Withams, I would of taken more photographs. I sat in the very same drops, and it was pretty clean and tidy compared to the others. Was a little funny to find an oat meal block behind the seat, god knows how long that’s been hiding.

If I go back ill get a few photos.

Ollie

& all hulls are shotblasted pre a re-build,to if it is cracked/worth it.

Many thanks

I was quite surprised at how many cracks the hulls had, the shot blasting has to be worth it if it shows up so many cracks. Does this mean that these particular hulls are beyond economical repair, if they are going through Withams or is it the bean counters?

Many thanks

I was quite surprised at how many cracks the hulls had, the shot blasting has to be worth it if it shows up so many cracks. Does this mean that these particular hulls are beyond economical repair, if they are going through Withams or is it the bean counters?

Andy,

The MoD are in talks with BAE systems to start making new hulls. Infact about half of the Sabres went to ABRO and were stripped for use as spare hulls. These vehicles have been in service a long time now, so it's not surprising they are a bit past it. It's pretty common to blast components before inspecting them for cracks.

Chris