Living in a railway carriage!

Smithy

Whilst in Dorset, Wool to be precise, I spotted this different kind of living accommodation. Looks like two old railway carriage's side by side.

Certainly something different to live in!

003.jpg

002.jpg

Edited by Smithy

That looks like a new building ..... post war it seems old railway carriage's were commonly used for housing for bombed out family's.

Little remains now but I grew up on a farm next to whats now the Bluebell railway station at Horsted Keynes , along side a wood was a row of 8 ? old carriages that were lived in during and just after the war , as kids we were probably largely responsable for the decline of them , many a raft and camp was made from timber "salvaged " from them ... if time hasn't played tricks on my memory ( it was 35 ish years ago ) some still had curtains at the windows and even odd personal items from the residents were still around , some holes in field on the farm were also used to get rid of rubble from blitzed houses , certainly if you dug around there was loads of bricks in places .

not far from me at hayley green there was a nissen hut used as a bungalow it was in good nick and lived in i think untill the last five years but now has been demolished for development

there was also a railway carriage house very near to hamton lode not far from the station used i think at least in to the 80s

Many many (plus a few more many's!) I remember staying in a converted railway carriage down on Hayling Island sea front for a family holiday as a child. I think they've all gone now. I also remember reading and seeing some photos of some others that used to be used for the same purpose down at Penzance.

This one has been respectfully repainted in original LSWR livery if I'm not mistaken?

I've been looking for one to put in the garden for quite a while now, so if anyone has a lead on one in a not-too-appalling state, I'd be pleased to hear :-)

If I was to be picky I'd say 4 or 6 wheel, and not too far away from East Anglia :D

Hi went to a wedding reception at Shipton by Benningbourgh nr York. It was a Hotel called the Sidings. it is between a railway line and the A19 the restaurant is two railway carridges. Also there is a restaurant right on the pavement on beverly rd hull alled the Cannon this is a railway carridge http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Hull_And_Barnsley_Beverley_Road_Bridge.jpg

There is a similar restaurant in Newcastle at the old Jesmond Station on a dead section of track isolated in the 1970s-80s when the Metro system and Motorway were built and the goods station complex bombed out in WW2 was finally demolished (imagine quality British Rail -your first sight of Newcastle from the North was a burnt out WW2 warehouse:D). The carriages are still on bogies and parked at the platform with an old signal box nearbye which may be part of the complex.

I remember as a small child in the late 1950s many families in rural areas still living in old carriages.