Driving through France

Eastblock

A couple of weeks ago I helped a friend collect a restored Gaz69AM from Poland. We collected it on a trailer. While waiting for the ferry in Calais we were approached by French Customs officers who said that we should have notified them in advance when transporting a military vehicle through France. Apparently there is a form to fill in. We were let go but warned that they could have impounded the vehicle.

In a few weeks time I will be driving a Uaz452 from Finland to the UK. I've searched the internet and cannot find any info about forms to fill in. I don't speak French which probably doesn't help. The ferry companies I have contacted have never heard of this rule.

Does anyone know where to get this form?

Have a look at the board which covers this. The MVT have been very active in answering a lot of these issues. The UK has it's own regulation about permanently and temporarily exporting military equipment. Without getting involved in party politics, I think it likely that some of our regulations will be set aside to save on the beaurocracy. Someone will put me right. I thought the French were only touchy about weapons, not vehicles. Again, someone will put me right.

MB

Mark, I have searched the forum and could not find any answers to my question. I can assure you that the French Customs Officers we spoke to were adamant that paperwork was needed.

However I have decided to save myself a lot of a hassle and will pay the extra bit to sail from Hook of Holland. I understand Belgium can be funny about short term plates even though they are tolerated in most other EU countries.

I filled in all the VOVMEL forms months ago. Got a thank you you will be contacted. Still waiting. :sleep: In the mean time, the 101 is now in Denmark, very happy with new owner, the Dodge has been to Jersey and back. The French have a habit of making things up as they go along. Heaven help any poor S*d taking a Toyota pick up through Calais then! :cool2:

I once took a 7.5 merc through france on a bank holiday.

Owt over 7.5 isnt allowed on the roads on a bank holiday.

I got pulled over by the Gendarmes.

They wanted all sorts of paper work. Had insurance, V5, plates on the vehicle and chassis number.

Got sick of them chunter on about something so did the Gallic shrugg of shoulders cant be bothered attitude.

It worked and I was on my way!!

I called they French Customs international information line number. The voice response said "select 1 for information in English" which I then did. I got connected and was told "No speak English - send email". I think I will just avoid France as much as possible.....

I heard a story about someone landing in France. The Customs demanded documentation and asked if he had been to France before. The man said Yes, and he wasn't asked for any documentaion then. The police said that everyone had to have documents, where did you enter France? The man said, on Omaha Beach in 1944, and there wasn't a customs officer in sight on that day.

I heard a story about someone landing in France. The Customs demanded documentation and asked if he had been to France before. The man said Yes, and he wasn't asked for any documentaion then. The police said that everyone had to have documents, where did you enter France? The man said, on Omaha Beach in 1944, and there wasn't a customs officer in sight on that day.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

However I have decided to save myself a lot of a hassle and will pay the extra bit to sail from Hook of Holland. I understand Belgium can be funny about short term plates even though they are tolerated in most other EU countries.

I want to warn you that, that the point about being tolerated is not completly true

Official short term plates are only tolerated in the country that supplied the short term plate

The country next to it, will not tolerate them and get you picked of the road

Because they are not legal in that country and most of the time you will be not insured when something happens

If you mean the export plates, they are tolerated

http://transito.rdw.nl/en/transito_english/

MichelK

both France Germany are getting tight on the movement of military vehicles...and for good reason, some idiots thing they can flout the embargoes and ship kit to Sudan and Iran with impunity...and try..however ideally if you ship stuff through any European country you need to get the paperwork sorted. Talk to the Embassies, they usually put you straight...the Germans and the french are particularly hot on Armoured and armed equipment it is true but all dual purpose or ex military equipment until privately registered are potential impound objects...