fox running well but....

markbg

We took the fox out for a fairly big run of 50 miles and although he ran well there were two observations we made - theres virtually no power in first or second gear - third fourth and fifth the fox cracks along with no problems but i have to rev pretty high to get movement in lower gears and the second is the engine runs incredibly hot - 30 minutes after stopping and the heat coming off the engine is incredible - the coolant gauge doesnt work at the moment so im thinkibg the rhermostat doesnt either

problem is i dont know the fox from adam so should first and second gears not be that powerful in terms of they only get the vehicle to 20 or so as third really kicks in with a big difference

any ideas if there us a problem?

Edited by markbg

We took the fox out for a fairly big run of 50 miles and although he ran well there were two observations we made - theres virtually no power in first or second gear - third fourth and fifth the fox cracks along with no problems but i have to rev pretty high to get movement in lower gears and the second is the engine runs incredibly hot - 30 minutes after stopping and the heat coming off the engine is incredible - the coolant gauge doesnt work at the moment so im thinkibg the rhermostat doesnt either

problem is u dont know rhe fox from adam so should first and second gears not be that powerful in terms of they only get the vehicle to 20 or so as third really kicks in with a big difference

any ideas uf there us a problem?

The over revving could be the fluid flywheel lack of fluid in addition the brake bands might also need adjusting or could be worn out in the gearbox.

If you're not sure if the thermostat is working your going to have to test it or replace it.

Do you have the manuals?

The over revving could be the fluid flywheel lack of fluid in addition the brake bands might also need adjusting or could be worn out in the gearbox.

If you're not sure if the thermostat is working your going to have to test it or replace it.

Do you have the manuals?

hi - ill have a look at yhe flywheel altho the manual says i need a special tool to undo the nuts - any idea where i can get one ? i have a feeling it may be the brake bands as the pickup in third is good suggesting the brake bands are the problem is this sifficult to get to?i.e do i habe to get the whole power pack out?

I see some workshop time in your future and some spanner spinning!

R

no workshop unfortunately :( im looking for a storage solution or mechanic tjat can do this tbh - the servicing etc i can do but work like this im not sure about

It really sounds like you dont have the manuals as these questions will be answered in there. Do you "first parade" your vehicle before you drive it?

R

i do have the manuals but all it says is to check the levels on the fluid coupling but i dont have the tool to open it - would it be the coupling tho if third gear etc are ok?

Do you pedal up before starting six good pushes down on the gear change pedal in each gear.

yep every time now that i read the manual its just i read that the fox could beat cars of the starting line etc and i dont seem to have anywhere nr that ability in the first two gears - i think tjis is looking alot like brake bands tbh :(

Edited by markbg

hi - ill have a look at yhe flywheel altho the manual says i need a special tool to undo the nuts - any idea where i can get one ? i have a feeling it may be the brake bands as the pickup in third is good suggesting the brake bands are the problem is this sifficult to get to?i.e do i habe to get the whole power pack out?

If you undo the nut and it drops its a pack out job pic attached of the tool, I think the Ferret one is the same but someone else will say if its right or wrong.

Not having a Fox I can't comment on how difficult it is to get at the gearbox but I suspect that its similar to the Ferret in that the area over the gearbox has to come out to check.

Edited by ferrettkitt

Hi Mark,

The easiest way to remove the Fox gearbox is to lift the turret out the way. Not having a crane big enough, we had to do it the hard way. This involves removing everything from the fighting compartment by taking it to bits and passing it out the front hatch. This is a nightmare job, so don't do it unless you have to.

The Fox flywheel tool is similar to the Ferret one, but longer. Marcus Glenn did have them, it would be worth asking him first. If you can't find one there are several Fox owners down your end of the country, perhaps one of them will lend you the correct tool. You need to remove the panel on the floor at the rear of the fighting compartment to reveal the flywheel. If the engine needs moving to line up the plug with the hole you can turn it slowly with a screwdriver on the flywheel.

It's possiible that the fluid level is a bit low, so you need a lot of revs to get it to start moving, but once it's rolling you are not noticing the slipping quite to much. It should pull of quickly in second gear, I can usually beat people off the lights in a Fox! :D If the flywheel oil level is ok I suggest you pump the gear change pedal 30 times in the gears which are causing you a problem. If you still have no joy, then you need to start removing floor plates under the turret basket to get to the gearbox and remove the top cover for a look.

You'll need to park the vehicle somewhere where you can spin the turret before doing any of this, because you'll probably want to move it backwards and forwards and round and round several times to try and get best access to the bits you need to see, the inside of a Fox is very crampt when you're trying to look at anything under the panels!

Chris

Edited by sirhc

Hi Mark,

The easiest way to remove the Fox gearbox is to lift the turret out the way. Not having a crane big enough, we had to do it the hard way. This involves removing everything from the fighting compartment by taking it to bits and passing it out the front hatch. This is a nightmare job, so don't do it unless you have to.

The Fox flywheel tool is similar to the Ferret one, but longer. Marcus Glenn did have them, it would be worth asking him first. If you can't find one there are several Fox owners down your end of the country, perhaps one of them will lend you the correct tool. You need to remove the panel on the floor at the rear of the fighting compartment to reveal the flywheel. If the engine needs moving to line up the plug with the hole you can turn it slowly with a screwdriver on the flywheel.

It's possiible that the fluid level is a bit low, so you need a lot of revs to get it to start moving, but once it's rolling you are not noticing the slipping quite to much. It should pull of quickly in second gear, I can usually beat people off the lights in a Fox! :D If the flywheel oil level is ok I suggest you pump the gear change pedal 30 times in the gears which are causing you a problem. If you still have no joy, then you need to start removing floor plates under the turret basket to get to the gearbox and remove the top cover for a look.

You'll need to park the vehicle somewhere where you can spin the turret before doing any of this, because you'll probably want to move it backwards and forwards and round and round several times to try and get best access to the bits you need to see, the inside of a Fox is very crampt when you're trying to look at anything under the panels!

Chris

Thanks Chris - Marcus did indeed have the tool so its all on order :)

If we come to an arrangement about storage I should be able to help you out with your problems.. my Fox is stored there too.. may be worth waiting before messing with anything you are not sure about... will send you another pm about storage shortly

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i have removed the fluid coupling bolt and had to put in 3 litres of liquamatic so i think that looks to be my problem - there were steel washers as well so i think thats my problem as the manual states copper washers - ill order them from whoever has them but i doubt they are still around - anyway at least i know what the problem was - thanks for the advice :)

ok so i have removed the fluid coupling bolt and had to put in 3 litres of liquamatic so i think that looks to be my problem - there were steel washers as well so i think thats my problem as the manual states copper washers - ill order them from whoever has them but i doubt they are still around - anyway at least i know what the problem was - thanks for the advice :)

Mark,

Are you sure they were not Dowty washers? They are steel with a rubber lip on the inside, made specially for sealing fluids, etc. I seem to think they were often fitted, other vehicles had special copper washers that were folded and screw on the plug so as not to drop off.

Mark,

Are you sure they were not Dowty washers? They are steel with a rubber lip on the inside, made specially for sealing fluids, etc. I seem to think they were often fitted, other vehicles had special copper washers that were folded and screw on the plug so as not to drop off.

well i read the manual (its not always right :)and it does state the copper washer specifically however i can see the sense in a washer with a rubber seal - the current washer has none of this so i can see why its leaking - the washer part number is below

washer lv9cvw/2520-99-829-5393

i havent heard of dowty washers but ill look into them now ;)

Edited by markbg

well i read the manual (its not always right :)and it does state the copper washer specifically however i can see the sense in a washer with a rubber seal - the current washer has none of this so i can see why its leaking - the washer part number is below

washer lv9cvw/2520-99-829-5393

i havent heard of dowty washers but ill look into them now ;)

Are you sure it's the plug that's leaking & not the fluid flywheel??

Dowty Seals http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/-4-dowty-seal-513-04-384-p.asp

Are you sure it's the plug that's leaking & not the fluid flywheel??

Dowty Seals http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/-4-dowty-seal-513-04-384-p.asp

hi - im talking about the plug on the flywheel - as far as i know the fkywheel is a sealed unit apart from the plugs so im assuming the leak is the plugs - especially as tjey have standard washers which dont look any use for retaining fluids under pressure..

Mark,

The flywheel is not a sealed unit. In addition to the filler plug washer, there is a seal in the centre which can fail. There is also a gasket between the 2 halves which may be leaking. I'll dig out some photos of a flywheel when I get home.

Chris

as far as i know the fkywheel is a sealed unit apart from the plugs so im assuming the leak is the plugs..

There are seals on the flywheel & they can fail..

A few photos so you can see how the flywheel is constructed...

DSC_4897.jpg

DSC_4898.jpg

DSC_4896.jpg

Hi jeesh those diagrams are good!! i dont think i have that manual at all - time to do some searching i think - sincerely hoping that when i get proper washers this problem is fixed tho-i guess i could use "weld" or something similar to close up any problems in the coupling tho - i think its callwd metal weld...

Mark,

The flywheel is not a sealed unit. In addition to the filler plug washer, there is a seal in the centre which can fail. There is also a gasket between the 2 halves which may be leaking. I'll dig out some photos of a flywheel when I get home.

Chris

much appreciated as usual - ive been free this week as im on hols - so far fixed coupling,transfer box problems , fixed front headlights not working and sorted comms so thats my excuse for not gettibg my finger out and paying for thpse bands - *fail*

Hi jeesh those diagrams are good!! i dont think i have that manual at all - ...

Not a manual.. I have a full set of very large classroom intructional posters for the Fox.. probably the only set about..