Simex tyres -contact at last?

oily

Hi all, I've read 'whispers' on 'Maple Leaf Up', that someone has managed to contact/strike a deal with Simex, whom i'm led to believe have moulds for 12.00-20 Dunlop Trakgrips.... sadly my password doesn't want to work for the forum there, so I can't contact/converse with said chap..... I see you, mr Farrant are mentioned in the threads.... any chance you could get some info for me? I'm after 6 x Dunlop Runflat trackgrip 12.00-20... to fit on my Saracen:cool2:

so I'm after price/delivery etc....

regards:-D

I was all excited when I read this - the prospect of 5 new tyres for the Ferret at a reasonable price -but I think you're right, REME 245, another 'intact Tiger I found in Russian bog' story!!

If only one of us was wealthy enough to stump up the cash in advance for a container load of tyres from Simex and sell them on to fellow Ferret owners. You could sell them at a reasonable price, cover your costs and maybe even make a bit as well!

Oh well, another project for the good of mankind when I win the Lotto!!

By the way, I'd really loved to be proved wrong on this one!!

Peter

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

If only one of us was wealthy enough to stump up the cash in advance for a container load of tyres from Simex and sell them on to fellow Ferret owners. You could sell them at a reasonable price, cover your costs and maybe even make a bit as well!

sorry but even that is wishful thinking

the inalienable fact is Simex WILL NOT SELL TO ANYONE (OR COMPANY) INSIDE THE EU becuase the tyres are not compliant with modern regulations and they will not risk selling them even to a private "importer". Go read this thread covering Jack's attempts to buy a container load. The demand is easily there and plenty of peole can afford to do it but Simex will not supply, full stop

even the Americans cannot get Simex USA to produce from the T24 mould and sell inside the States for the same reason, guys on the Ferret Yahoo group have repeatedly tried just that

Hi all, I've read 'whispers' on 'Maple Leaf Up', that someone has managed to contact/strike a deal with Simex, whom i'm led to believe have moulds for 12.00-20 Dunlop Trakgrips.... sadly my password doesn't want to work for the forum there, so I can't contact/converse with said chap..... I see you, mr Farrant are mentioned in the threads.... any chance you could get some info for me? I'm after 6 x Dunlop Runflat trackgrip 12.00-20... to fit on my Saracen:cool2:

so I'm after price/delivery etc....

regards:-D

I have just checked on MLU Forum and the last time "Simex" was written in a post was 2007, so I think you may be reading old posts on there. I did buy some Trackgrip tyres from their European HQ about 6 years ago, since then, the company has come under the German tyre maker, Continental, which has caused the problems I understand., and sadly this source has now dried up, never saw any 12.00-20 anyway, it was 9.00-16 Trackgrips they brought in ( not Runflat).

As for approaching Simex USA, I think it would have been better to have gone straight to Malaysia, as the USA base, would only have been an importer, not manufacturer, so no different than talking to the European HQ.

I think the assumption is that Simex have all the Dunlop Tracgrip moulds for all sizes but will not import.

Unfortunately in time all the British vehicles in preservation will end up with inappropriate non war-time tread pattern tyres.

We have/had the 16 x 9's on our Pinzgauers here. I ditched mine as the preferred tyre is 16x8 on the road.

I am sure there is a stockpile around here, never really dug that hard but I believe one of the fellow Pinz guys bought new ones. If someone wants I could have a dig around as a pallet via sea freight aint that much.

I also saw some R20 tyres recently in a yard, not sure what off

trying to find a good piccy

[ATTACH]26600[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26599[/ATTACH]

Edited by fesm_ndt
add piccy

I don't know exactly what is involved in getting a EU mark, but I imagine the cost is such that it is only worthwhile for significant sales volumes.

Plastic toy - probably no problem. Tyre with all the associated liability issues - :shocked:

Simex don't seem to have any problem selling in the UK for the 4x4 market.

Yes Simex sell other tyres in the UK but you are missing the point.

the MV tyre moulds we are talking about do not have EC approval (the CE mark?) so cannot be imported legally for use on road going vehicles.

The fact Simex hold the moulds and can physically produce"new" tyres from them does not mean to say Simex has the appetitie for the considerable commercial risk it would incur in:

a) making tyres for "agricultural" (non road) use and risk being sued when it was found they were fitted to road vehicles; and/or

b) getting EC approval so it could sell road legal tyres, as this would involve spending their money before they get any sales income and result in only a small profit for the time and effort required

It's not so much about EU Approval, it's about whose tread pattern they're copying to make the tyres and if they'll end up in court.

It's often missed but tyres don't have to be E-marked for road use if they are approved to an equivalent standard in another country, the most popular one being american DOT markings. This has been the source of some debate in the 4x4 world, but of course no-one ever bothers to actually read the rule book :-D

It's not so much about EU Approval, it's about whose tread pattern they're copying to make the tyres and if they'll end up in court.

I think you will find that Simex had the moulds from Dunlop, who actually owned the Malasian company, there is no copying as Dunlop had stopped making Trackgrips a good few years ago.

Edited by Richard Farrant

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

There seems to have been lots of debate about what can't be done, so, what can be done?

- What are the suitable alternatives that are readily available in terms of 11x20 and 12x20 tyres for Ferrets, Saracen's, Saladins etc.

- Would Simex sell the moulds/rights?, not sure what the commercial risk would be with 50 years of on/off-road heritage behind them. Could they be EU approved using grandfather rights.....

- What about fitting a set of austin mini wheels and tyres....LOL

I currently have 11x20 fitted to my Saracen, would 12x20 also fit the same wheel?

Thanks in advance

I believe the wheels are the same size, just the width of the tyres are different. Others may prove me wrong on this next fact, but I am under the impression that Stalwart wheels are the same too, but made from Aluminium alloy, instead of steel... And their tyres are 14.00 x 20..... And with a squeeze may fit too...